1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Good Old Days

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, May 7, 2019.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    No helping players up like they do now :lolol:

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Not at all. That was when football was truly football. May the last man standing win.

Nowadays, it is a track meet of sorts. If I want to watch track meets, I would just turn on tape of Usain Bolt's record breaking performance in Beijing. :lolol: American Gridiron Football is the most violent sport for a reason; survival of the fittest.

If other players cannot survive, so be it. That is the way that this league was initially set up for. The strong survive and the weak perish. No exceptions.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    From gritty athletes playing a game to millionaire entertainers. :cool:

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I still remember how mad I was during a game in Pittsburgh versus Brady and the Pats where as the Pats scored on the goal line Brady got knocked down and Kiesel smiled and helped him up. I was like hey let him lay there he has his own guys to give him a hand up. People said I was being petty but the Pats won that game and as he left the field Brady had that sound bite about hating the fans in Pittsburgh and playing there. I'm not saying do the Suh stomp but definitely don't help the bastard up

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    It was interesting Mac, I caught the end of a 30 for 30 documentary on Philipe Lopez the basketball player and just the contrast of a kid that came from the Dominican Republic to play basketball at St. Johns, huge hype in his first year and didn't get to the dance until his senior year and was ousted in the first round, then drafted but traded on draft day to the Grizzlies bounced around and finally found his game with MN. Then in his contract year blew out his knee and got cut, worked his way back and played 9 years all over the world where ever he could. Now he gives everything he can in his home country almost to the point of poverty. I was watching this thinking here is a guy who had a chance to be a multimillion dollar player and had adversity and gives so freely of himself and AB is throwing hissy fits on social media to get more millions of dollars that he can waste on watches and helicopter rides it jsut makes you sick to see that extreme and then to see this guy trying to help everyone in his hometown have a xmas. Just stuns me sometimes

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    there are still a lot of good ones thorn for every AB there are 10 good guys. The ABs sale air time and are better click bait stories for the media types to get noticed. Dirt sells.:cool:

7. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    This is a huge problem today. The young people don't even know it, and they don't want to hear it when you try to point it out.

To the point of the post, I love going back and watching old NFL films where guys are clothes lining each other, missing most of their teeth, smoking on the sidelines, and playing with half of their limbs falling off. Those guys were mean and nasty, and I'm only describing the QB's. Joe Ferguson used to throw interceptions just so he could go tackle the guy. I heard after Dick Butkus hit someone, he would go after their family. Yep, I miss that kind of football!

• Like Like x 1
  8. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Numerous factors have led to the game being weakened over the years.

9. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    I think just having a dominant defense would be like having the good old days back.

10. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I remember I preseason game against the Colts where a Colt on the ground reached up for Earl Holmes to help him up and Earl Holmes slapped the hand away in anger. Lol.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    I have no idea what you're talking about....................[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    :puking:

13. leveraged

leveraged Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    I don't get it. I always played angry. I played like you had non-consensual sex with my mother.

14. dirty

dirty Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    my bad misread a post. :)

15. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    If Brady needs a few seconds on the ground to clear his head and catch his breath, then the Steelers should definitely help him stand up (before he wants to) and get him moving around.

• Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  16. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Isn't that last picture Robin Williams?

I fail to see how cheerleaders led to a softening of the NFL play.

I'm going to say that 90% of the rule changes and equipment upgrades are due to all those guys that played that way in the "Good Old Days" coming forth with lawsuits for permanent damages sustained playing that way. After figuring out that there actually were long term effects.

17. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    I liked it better when the opposing defensive players goes to help the opposite teams player up then when he's almost up, pushes him back down again. :shrug:

18. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    So what you're saying is...

Mr AQL, I don't feel so good lol

19. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    F5F037F1-C1A6-404D-BEC7-72D190E6A756.jpeg Heck, back in the day, even Jack Lambert was willing to offer a helping hand.

• Like Like x 4
  20. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

"We have lost friends. We lost family. We lost everything."

If thst does not motivate someone who can do something, I do not know what will.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    So true, they played for the love of the game. I would be curious to see a poll
    asking players why they play. I am afraid there wouldn't be too many players
    saying they love the game.

22. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

I'm glad I got to watch the Steel Curtain defense as a kid. I love that hit when Ernie Holmes hits Staubach in the facemask with his forearm.

Last edited: May 13, 2019
  23. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I liked Earl. Was not the most talented athlete, but that attitude was purely traditional Steeler LB.

• Agree Agree x 1