1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Welcome to the Steelers Diontae Johnson

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Apr 26, 2019.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I don’t really care if Johnson ever wears the best WR in the game tag but he can certainly put up comparable numbers. JuJu just put up nearly 1500 yards. If Johnson does that do we really care about anything else.

I’d argue anyone saying he can’t hasn’t watched any film on him.

• Like Like x 2
  2. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    Brown had the same criticism during the 2010 draft, and he managed to become stronger as a pro. Johnson needs to get stronger as a pro, but it is too early to tell if that will happen or not.

Needs to add strength to more effectively beat press coverage and battle for the ball in the air. - NFL.com profile of Antonio Brown during the 2010 draft

3. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I would love to be a mod here but I would probably just ban myself lol

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  4. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Diontae isn't going to replace AB, but hopefully a combination of Moncrief, Washington, and Johnson can duplicate some of AB's production.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    HT: 5'10" WT: 186LBS

Extremely productive receiver from a relatively smaller level football program that could use another year in college to continue to develop physically. He is undersized and will initially struggle with the physical aspects of the game at the next level. He generally has lined up out of the slot and would have trouble with his release against some of the physical cornerbacks at the next level if he lines up on the line of scrimmage. He is explosive off the line and will show a good burst out of his speed cuts but needs work on his hard cuts and underneath routes. He has decent hands but it looks like the ball gets big on him at times and he traps too many passes in his body. Lacks size. Not tall and does not possess enough bulk at this time. Needs to add strength to more effectively beat press coverage and battled for the ball in the air. Route running skills could use some refinement. Needs to become more consistent catching the ball in a crowd.

6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    With the players we have, we have to have a qb willing to play a little different style of offense now. More of a death by a thousand cuts. We are really deep in talent that should be able to move the chains and get us chunk plays. Even though we are less of a big play team now. Patience by Ben will be huge. Playing without a single security blanket but giving options at every area on the field instead will be the new game. :cool:

7. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Agreed. Getting the run/pass from 70/30 to a more balanced 60/40 or better will help as much if not more. Anyone notice how NE won yet another SB? They ran the ball down the throats of these new fangled pass defenses. We have to have the ability to do that as well. Keep opposing offenses off the field. Keep our D fresh. It's really that simple.

8. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Nobody said he can't. I said it is extremely unlikely and it is ridiculous to predict that kind of production for him. That isn't the same thing as saying he can't do it.

9. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    And now we're back to the arguments that are akin to saying an unathletic quarterback taken in the sixth round is the next Tom Brady.

10. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Except for 2 monster seasons by AB, his numbers are very reachable.

JuJu has nearly 1000 is first season, almost 1500 his second.

NB has been the only one in this debate to make a valid point, he’ll likely only have 2 seasons with Ben after he spends this year adjusting to the NFL.

• Like Like x 1
  11. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I hope they all have good seasons and not great. If that happens we will have spread the ball around. That is our secret to success I believe.

Juju
    Moncrief
    McDonald
    Eli
    Conner
    Switzer
    Grimble
    Samuels
    Washington
    Johnson
    Gentry
    Nix
    That's a long laundry list to spread the ball to and a long list for defenses to have to account for.:cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    A lot of truth to this. The more Brown/Bell centric the offense became, the less successful in scoring. Yes, a ton of yards but not as many TDs.

13. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Speak for yourself regarding valid points. Just because you don't believe in your ability to make any doesn't mean the rest of us deserve to get lumped in there. :)

You are assuming a lot more ability from Johnson than he has demonstrated to this point. Even if we buy your comparisons, it's still more of that sixth-round unathletic quarterback is the next Tom Brady nonsense.

Johnson isn't Smith-Schuster, either. Just because he produced that much his first two seasons doesn't mean a lesser player like Johnson can do it.

Sure, somebody other than Smith-Schuster could catch over 100 passes at some point over the next few seasons. It is your claim that Johnson is likely to do it that doesn't have any real basis in the facts as we have them now.

14. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    They gotta get the reality of that thought put in motion first and quit beating the brakes off of one back and forcing to one receiver. Been hoping for the last few years they'd figure that out. We'll all see soon enough but it don't hurt to spread the love and figure out how to be a balanced O that can exist as dynamic in spite of folks going down or crying about "minds" hahahahaha

15. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Actually I was talking about valid points against, all mine have been solid ;)

Thats simply not true. He had a downgrade in QB last season. The previous year he had 1278 yards and 13 TD's. You're just a jaded football fan that doesn't like the pick and clinging to a scouting report that says he struggles with press coverage. Your whole point of view screams that you haven't actually put in the work to learn about this guy. He beats press regularly, he has exceptional footwork and routinely blows right by the CB off the line. Sure it stops him cold sometimes but the Steelers probably already have him in the weight room.

The Tom Brady example is nonsense. We agree on that.

Didn't say he was, just pointing out that AB is not the only receiver capable of going over a 1,000 yards in a season, quite a few do. With the amount of passes that the Steelers throw and with 164 of them up for grabs without AB now, I like his chances. However not in his first season, I don't expect him to even match JuJu's output.

My prediction for Johnsons first 3 seasons:

650 yards 4 TD's
    1150 yards 9 TD's
    1400 yards 12 TD's

• Like Like x 1
  16. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    It's gonna start with the leader of pack #7 buying in to it my friend.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Yes, but we’ve still got to challenge downfield too. That’s where Moncrief is going to earn his keep. He’s never been a top all-around NFL receiver, but he can get downfield and force safeties to pay attention to him.

18. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    True and very true to an extent... I don't think Ben ever had a problem with multi back sets or multi back use. I could be wrong, but believe it just comes back down to the coaching and game plan. haven't really had a creative OC in a while or atleast one who figured to use all the tools in his shed. Going back to fast willy P it's been run the wheels off and bombs away. Haley introduced som shorter game tangibles passing wise but still kept riding the lone RB. No coordinator here the last few years has an answer for a game plan sans AB or LB and I think that should be addressed. Seems like they have personnel packages for "1" person and if that person or persons is awol then the whole unit suffers. I agree however that if Ben ain't up for it, it's gonna be wonky at best

19. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    People don't seem to talk much about Vance. I like him. If he can stay healthy he will help this offense out. He had a respectable year last year and I look forward to this years contributions.

• Like Like x 2
  20. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I agree, and this type of spread it around offense plays into that. Make the defense work and guess where that ball is going should free up moncrief and juju or whomever to get single coverage or force a mistake in coverage. It doesn't even have to be our outside receivers that do that damage at that point. Similar to when ward would break free for a deep ball because we were killing them under and then go over. More gotcha deeps. I think this team is set up perfectly for this type of O.:cool:

21. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    So you’re saying copy NE? Could of saved yourself a lot of typing ;)

22. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Well, rumor has it a lot of mini video cameras and inflation/deflation pins were recently delivered to the South Side facility. If we can get Ben to live on kale and avocado smoothies we'll be all set.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  23. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I’m
    If you ain’t cheatin , you ain’t tryin ;)

24. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Well minus the good coaching of course. ;):cool:

• Like Like x 1
  25. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The Tom Brady comparison is exactly what the people who say Johnson is like Antonio Brown are doing. I get that you don't like it, but that is the reality of the point you have been arguing.

I've done the work. What have we actually seen that is evidence of him beating press coverage? One gif posted by AQL? You're funny.