1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Jack Lambert's college days

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mytake, May 4, 2019.

1. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Here is an interesting article about Kent State, a team that was coached by Don James, later to coach at The University of Washington. They also had Nick Saban, a safety, Gary Pinkel, a tight end, and some guy named Jack Lambert. The Lambert story is at the bottom of the article.

The highlight of the article is James is coaching a post-season all-star game and before the first practice tells Don McPherson, the other coach, that players should wear shoulder pads and helmets, because Lambert won't let anyone through his area. McPherson insisted on sweats only, but after seeing Lambert in action during the first practice, players wore helmets and shoulder pads the rest of the week.

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/kent-state’s-terrific-trio

• Like Like x 1
  2. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Lambert would of played on concrete streets if he had to. :dancing: One tough son of a gun.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    great article thanks!

My niece goes to Kent now and I lived in North Canton for 4 years. High school football in NE Ohio and Western PA is no joke. I went to a Canton-McKinley vs Massillon game and it was like an NFL game.

I rotated between my Lambert and Harris jerseys as a youngster growing up outside of Cleveland.

4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    It ain't just NE Ohio. :cool:

5. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Very well spoken Turtle, I am not so sure if the amount of high ranking football players
    from Western Pa are here as they were oh lets say 40 years ago. The football players
    have shifted to the south. Cali, Texas, Florida , La, Georgia. We still get our Miles Sanders
    and such but not as frequently.

6. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Jack lambert looked like he didnt work out lol, but then watching him play he was throwing bodies like a rag doll. Incredibly strong, and tough. He was feared for a reason lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Never forget a game I watched where he made 9 straight tackles in a row, even with all the hall of famer's and with all the other defensive greats on those teams. Your right he didn't even work out like the others.

8. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Didn't Lambert use to smoke in the huddle during practice? I swear I have seen a clip of this.

9. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    It might have been smoke from his ears wanting to hit someone.

10. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    When Jack was early in his career he use to hang out in Oakmont at 2 bars. Locals would
    get tanked and want to see how tough Jack really was. Needless to say Jack could take care of himself
    in any situation. Great, great, player. Best motor I have ever witnessed.

• Like Like x 1