1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

sutton smith

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steel1031, Apr 27, 2019.

1. Nj43

Nj43 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Was whole league wrong on Harmon? He went round 6 no? And Butler round 4. Those 2 obviously had bigger flaws than we probably know I’m guessing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Well he was a 6th round pick. So your expectations should start there.

But I think you will like what you see from him in the pre season.

3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Yeah but will he stay at OLB, or move to ILB?

4. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I know there is talk of a possible switch to ILB. But then why draft Gilbert?

Smith was a HS RB and Safety. So he is an athlete and those type of guys tend to convert well to ILB.

But he went from 215 to 230 in his last year at NIU. No reason he can't get up to 240/245 and keep his explosiveness.

Core special teamer in 2019 with future upside potential as an OLB is what I foresee. I know the list of pass rushers his size but if he wants to succeed he is going to have to play like James Harrison or Elvis Dumervil.

• Like Like x 1
  5. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I'm skeptical because of his size in trying to play OLB in the NFL, it worked for Harrison because he was a freak and really strong.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    The Smith pick is the one pick I don't get. I don't see much potential other than ST for him. And I hate drafting for just ST. Especially since ST is almost non-existent now.

You might as well draft an athlete who you can teach rather than a guy doesn't have the physical potential to be a starter.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    At least they didn't draft a kicker, punter or worse long snapper.

8. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I’ve watched a few of Sutton Smith’s games, and I don’t see a future for him as an NFL edge. He’s just way too small, and really has no physical traits that stand out. His motor and technique were enough to make a handful of splash plays as a pass rusher against the competition that he faced, but I think any adequate NFL tackle will destroy him on 98% of snaps.

As a true LB there may be potential.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I beg to differ, I like our WR corps. What really needs to be done is get back to a better
    run pass ratio that will allow these receivers to work their magic. And so Ben doesn't throw
    so many picks. If Fichtner can keep Ben from throwing 38 attempts or less. Watch the winning percentage rise.You have to have a pitch count on #7 or he will throw it to the other team too much.

• Agree Agree x 4
  10. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    back to Sutton, they will move him inside. LJ Fort replacement.
    Now we will have 2 midget LB's.

11. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Kevin Colbert has already been on record to say Sutton will be a pass rusher. He is not moving inside. I say let the young man develop.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I thought MT said he was going to be playing both?

13. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  14. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
  15. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I like our WRs as well but the thing that concerns me is the chemistry between Ben and Moncrief. How long does that take to get worked out and just how much has Washington developed.? We're gonna need a pretty significant jump from him. The TE position scares me as well. If McDonald goes down it takes away a lot of what we do including running. Other than that ,the run / pass is the key. More attempts leads to less success and the numbers prove it.

16. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Moncrief's biggest issue in Indy was getting on the field. Hope he stays healthy with Pittsburgh, he is a plus to the offense.

17. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Hmmm. I didn't realize he had injury concerns. Yes that would definitely be a factor and a hindrance to the chemistry for sure.

18. Destroyer

Destroyer Member

Apr 29, 2019
    I’d say give him a chance too, if you have the motor anything is possible. Small guys still have a chance to be successful, it just makes it a little bit harder. Harrison made it, why can’t this kid?

19. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Practice squad at best. We have 5 and two of them need to make a jump this year.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    Steelers rookie Sutton Smith earns impressive grade from PFF
    https://stillcurtain.com/2019/05/01/steelers-2/

Smith graded out as PFF’s second best edge rusher in the nation since 2014. Only 2019 second overall pick, Nick Bosa, received a higher grade.

21. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Harrison wasn't small. He was short.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Great. If only he had the physical skills to translate to the NFL.

Zeke Gadson was a dominant player at the University of Pittsburgh. He had 24 sacks in 1987, but he was too small for it to carry over to the pros. He was a fifth-round pick by the Bills, but never played in the NFL.

23. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Yeah, Harrison was a freaking load for anyone. Smith is nothing like Harrison other than relatively close in size. I am extremely skeptical that he is ever anything more than a STs player. I think he gets absolutely worked trying to set the edge.

24. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I'm skeptical as well but lets give him a chance. He could make a career as a ST ace like many have done before him. As far as thinking he can bulk up like Harrison? I was reading a post from someone who claims to know a lot about SS and he said that Smith is on a 7 meal a day diet just to maintain his current weight. He is maxed out. Once you are maxed out it's basically impossible to add much more muscle. So the idea of him bulking up to be like JH ,it's not in the cards

Trying to compare athletes based on measurements and testing is kinda silly. There are thousands upon thousands of athletes who share similar measurements and testing ability. There's a lot more that goes into actually being good enough to make it in the NFL. Most of those things can't be measured and sometimes luck even plays a major part.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Smith is a one dimensional speed rusher...
    That won't cut it in the nfl