1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Welcome to the Steelers Diontae Johnson

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Apr 26, 2019.

1. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    So here's the WRs so far....

JuJu
    Moncrief
    Washington
    Johnson
    Switzer
    Rogers

Is DHB still on the team?

2. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Nope

3. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Why were some people whining about Switzer getting cut? Steelers usually keep 6 WRs... so Switzer is safe, IMO. I'd rank Switzer above Rogers.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    There's still time for this year's Derek Moye to emerge, mind. Or this year's Eli Rogers even.

Even so, I think Switzer's performance last season makes him safe. He was an excellent trade.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    It's not a matter of who gets cut. It's a matter of who gets a helmet. They typically dress 5 . I think Rogers is a better receiving option than Switzer. If DJ can really show a lot in kick and punt returns in the PS I would definitely consider giving him the nod over Switzer if it came down to 5. I know a lot of you guys love Switzer but based on last year ,his STs performance was underwhelming. They said he was playing inured,so we'll see. We need all the big plays we can get and if DJ is ahead of the curve and prepared to contribute I'd like to think our 3rd round pick should get on the field. JMO

6. Destroyer

Destroyer Member

Apr 29, 2019
    I like it, JuJu is a good number one and will fill the void. Solid depth across the board. I think Ben won’t have any complaints.

7. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Given that he is also small, but weaker and slower than Brown, I would say it is extremely unlikely.

8. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    It is not an excuse for his drop rate in college, but I'm sure that was a major reason for the drop in his production from 2017 to 2018.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Their mesurables are very similar.

I found two different times for AB's 40. 4.47 and 4.56. Even if the 4.47 is the correct one, DJ ran 4.53. Not enough of a difference that would make a big impact on the field.
    Bench press, AB put up 13 reps, DJ 15
    Their vertical was identical at 33.5
    Broad jump, AB 105 inches vs 123
    3 cone, AB 6.98 vs 7.09

It's neck and neck. AB can get in and out of his breaks a little quicker and DJ has more explosiveness. The rest is almost down the line.

• Like Like x 1
  10. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Add in Vance and I'm pretty satisfied with the passing game.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I really don't care about reps for a wide receiver. Brown winds hand fights with defenders. Johnson could not do that in college. Brown was faster. It's not neck and neck, though I get that the fanboy desire to see him as a replacement for Brown.

Comparing Johnson to Brown is something akin to drafting a relatively unathletic quarterback in the sixth round and assuming he will be the next Tom Brady.

12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Its almost identical, you could hardly get more neck and neck :lolol:

You should care about reps, it measures strength.

I get that you want to be right all the time but don't ignore the obvious. There was really nothing to dispute about my post, I was merely pointing out how close their mesurables are :shrug:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Bench press really measures the form of strength used on the field by a receiver? You're funny, but not in the way you want to be.

I get why you want to be a fanboy and delude yourself into thinking Johnson has the ability to replace Brown, but you're only fooling yourself.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    What are you babbling about? It's one of the biggest measurements of a persons strength. Of course its relevant, being able to push through being jammed at the line.

Johnson also has him beat in explosiveness as the broad jump indicates. That initial burst to get off the line. Johnson uses foot work to beat press coverage and has done it very successfully.

Of course I'm a fan of the pick, I want them all to do well and would be great if Johnson can be successful like AB was. What an odd insult.

I get whats really going on here though, I embarrassed you by debunking your bs claim about mesuarbles. Get over it, happens.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    :popcorn:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  16. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    When Ben likes throwing to Johnson, we will have a perennial probowler for the next few years.

17. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Diontae Johnson cannot beat press?! This tweet, with evidence, states otherwise.

Here is a better question. Where did the narrative come from?! :lolol:

18. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    He does worry me. The first 1-2 years the running QB's give defense's fits. He will pick up a lot of first downs with those legs.

19. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    It's not a good measure for receivers. I'm sorry you would rather be a fanboy than learn something. By the way, fanboy isn't the same as fan. A fanboy is someone so enamored with the person or team he supports that he can't see logic or reason.

Johnson is slower than Brown. That's the measurable that matters. He also gets pushed around by press coverage, something I've never seen with Brown. This delusion that he has any chance of being the best receiver in the game, which Brown was for years, is absolute fanboy nonsense. As I said earlier, it is something akin to saying a team that drafted a relatively unathletic quarterback in the sixth round just got the next Tom Brady. It's not completely unlikely, but possibility is so remote that it isn't worth considering.

20. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    He beat press coverage once and that's evidence? Man, you are comical.

Y'all just keep on being fanboys and expecting Johnson to become another Antonio Brown. I'll be over here with my friends logic and reason.

21. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

The same logic and reason you use to dodge the question as to why Darius Leonard wasn't drafted right?! :hmm: Still waiting for that, as are others, by the way.

22. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I never dodged that question. I answered it many times on many threads. You're stalking me and lying again.

I'm still waiting on you to provide evidence to support your dubious claim that Johnson's problems with drops last year were the fault of his quarterback. Let's be clear here. You didn't say his drop in production last season was due to the quarterback. That would have been a reasonable statement. You claimed his high drop rate was the fault of the quarterback, then provided no viable evidence to back up that claim. (That the team had lousy quarterbacks last year does not prove that Johnson's drops were anybody's fault but his own.)

You offered ONE GIF of Johnson getting open against press coverage and somehow that is evidence. Hey, during a pickup basketball game in high school I once managed to steal the ball from a guy who went on to be a starting guard at Georgia Tech. I guess now I can say I was capable of defending starting guards for elite Division I basketball teams. (He became a starter a year after they made the Final Four.)

Please stop lying. It really is inappropriate and tiresome.

23. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I doubt Johnson reaches AB's stats. AB, had he stayed in Pittsburgh could have gone down as one of the greatest skilled and statistical WRs EVER. He will still go down as HOFer.

So I agree with you there. At best Johnson may get 3 more years of Ben throwing to him and I doubt season 1 will be anything fantastic. Most rookie WRs don't light it up as a rookie especially those outside of round 1. And after Ben moves on, it's tough to say how Johnson will mesh with the next QB.

However, Dionte Johnson coming out of Toledo in 2019 is equal to or likely better than Antonio Brown coming out of Central Michigan in 2010.

So likely Johnson won't be as great as AB, however, he has the skill set to be a highly productive WR especially in Years 2 and maybe 3.

• Winner Winner x 1
  24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    You're a fool if you don't think upper body strength matters to football players.

I'm excited about several players in this draft class. Your fanboy comment doesn't bother me because it's not true and just shows how immature you are. The same could be said about you and AB. You're too enamored with him to see that his success had a lot to do with his chemistry with Ben. If you know anything about football, the connection those two had is undeniable. We'll see how he does in Oakland this year.

If you were interested in learning something you'd have allowed yourself to be enlightened that they are very similar receivers in traits and mesurables. Those traits are something that the Steelers are obviously counting on to put to use in the same system that benefited AB with Ben throwing him the ball.

Johnson successfully beats press coverage, you're talking out your ass. He'll need to get stronger at the next level but so did Brown. You're acting like AB now is the same AB that came out of college.

It's laughable that you are clinging to that small a difference in their 40 time as some great advantage :facepalm:

• Winner Winner x 1
  25. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Only person lying here is yourself to yourself. You simply refuse to admit you are wrong here. I have already showcased, in other threads, why Darius was not going to be the pick. For that matter, this very thread indirectly showcases the reason why Diontae was.

Kevin Colbert and Mike Tomlin both have to be at that respective players Pro Day and/or have to come into full agreement with one of the position coaches in addition to one of the coordinators to warrant the pick. Darius was only met by the Steelers via a Pre Draft Visit. The team did not bring the house (i.e. Tomlin or Colbert) to South Carolina's Pro Day or conduct a Pro Day Dinner. Therefore, Leonard was not in the cards as the Steelers First pick. These statements are not of my own "truth" like the statements you label onto others.

These statements are BACKED up by the numbers; Mike Tomlin and Kevin Colbert being at that First Round picks Pro Day and Pro Day Dinner in addition to a large amount of the teams staff. For that matter, since 2007, before Colbert officially became a GM, Tomlin has always operated that way. Take Devin Bush Jr. 10 Steelers personnel were there at Michigan's Pro Day. South Carolina State in 2018?! One person; unknown at that.

Two scouts were sent to Diontae's. Best of all! Not unknowns! Answers?!

Special Teams Coordinator Danny Smith and Wide Receivers Coach Daryl Drake.

So again, let us do a headcount as to who went where and if the interest was there shall we?!

Toledo: 2 Known Coaches (See Above)

South Carolina: One unknown

Bonus Round!!

Virgina Tech: 4 Knowns. Who?!

- GM Kevin Colbert

- HC Mike Tomlin

- DC Keith Butler

- ILB coach Jerry Olsavsky

Once again, the interest HAS to be there to warrant ANY selection; First Round or otherwise.

In short?!

Take these FACTS that have been RESEARCHED by individuals who are knowledgeable of the teams actions, not perosnnel "facts" that only YOU believe in and do with them for what you will. :thumbs_up:

Oh! One more thing.

Seems as if this is the other way around as you have done just that.

• Winner Winner x 1