1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

D. Johnson....

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by defva, Apr 26, 2019.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Then why do you bother to post or read this site? The entire point is to discuss what the team does, whether we agree or not. If we're just going to genuflect and accept that every decision is right because the team knows better, this place has little reason to exist.

Or we can take the smarter approach and think for ourselves.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The Steelers may have had them there, but there were plenty of higher-rated receivers available. Just because some people here want to justify everything the Steelers do doesn't make it right.

The Steelers certainly weren't focused on production. This guy's production wasn't particularly good, especially when you consider the level of competition. The same is true of Gentry, though at least he was doing it against better teams.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    It looks like they may have a shot at Kelvin Harmon in the sixth round. I really hope having taken Johnson doesn't lead the Steelers to pass on a fantastic value with the 175th pick.

4. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    I have an opinion. I just know my opinion matters nothing to the team.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Of course not. Did Harmon say something bad about Mike Tomlin's mother?

6. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Of course not. Harmon continues to fall. Maybe there is some story the teams know about that we don't, but this makes no sense to me with the information available.

Sutton Smith? Are you kidding me?!

7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Doesnt really dispute what I said. It's not a reach according to his draft projection.

As far as right or wrong, who the heck knows, tad early for that.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    There were quite a few higher-rated receivers available. That is what disputes what you said.

But hey, the Steelers followed up with a bunch of guys nobody else liked on Day 3, so they have that going for them.

9. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Accept for the fact I was replying to someone who said it was a reach.

I wanted Chase but like what I have seen from this kid so far. Needs to get into the weight room. AB is deceptively strong.

10. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    If they took him over better players, that's a reach.

I agree regarding his lack of strength. In fact, I brought it up earlier as one major thing Brown has that Johnson does not.

11. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    By that definition, every pick from the bottom of the 1st to the bottom of the 2nd was a "reach", because Metcalf was widely considered a mid or early 1st round prospect.

12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Thats not a reach Scribe and you know it. When people speak of reaching, they are talking about taking a guy at a round higher than he is ranked.

By your logic, everyone that took a WR before Metcalf was a reach.

13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Ha, should have read through the thread :lolol:

14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Metcalf was always there. Some people got caught up in the 40-yard dash time and forgot.

Play games with semantics all you like, but the Steelers would have been much better off taking Winovich with that pick and a receiver later. There were plenty of options better than Johnson if the likely-fictional story about Arians taking him that round turned out to be true.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
  15. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Then you are wasting your time and ours by coming here.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Ok, Butler. It's a silly argument. You know what reaching means.

I liked Chase better but you're getting a little ahead of yourself with this better off talk.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Yes, your argument regarding Metcalf was silly. I'm glad you see that now. :)

18. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    It's a reach to believe any WR left at any pick, of any round, on anybody's board, in any part of this draft, was going to come in and be within an audible earshot of Antonio Brown PERIOD! Antonio Brown was not Antonio Brown coming out of the gates either. Kick back and let the kid fly or fall on his own.

We can all sit here and say this or that, or they should've taken this guy or the next until the end of time. It's not a reach nor will it ever be if the front office got whom they wanted. It's really that simple. They reached out as far as they needed/wanted to get who they coveted whether we like it or not. Happens every year to every team... Hell, think of it like marriage. Some folks hit on the first attempt, others takes a time or 2 or few hahahahaha.

I wasn't crazy about the pick either but it ain't got jack to do with me anyhow. Hope the kid turns out to be a good'n just the same as I hope the other picks do as well. Go Steelers!!!

19. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    By your definition, it wouldn't have been a reach for the Steelers to draft Gentry in the first round because they wanted him.