1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

How do YOU Grade the Steelers Draft and Why?.. Poll

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mcam, Apr 28, 2019.

1. A

7.0%
  2. A-

15.1%
  3. B+

16.3%
  4. B

24.4%
  5. B-

17.4%
  6. C+

5.8%
  7. C

9.3%
  8. C-

2.3%
  9. D

2.3%
  10. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
  2. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    B-

I think it’s better than last years. Bush, Johnson layne snell Sutton will all be contributors

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I agree and would add buggs to that list

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Solid B, I think we have people that can help us. Now
    if the coaching staff puts them in a position to succeed is another story.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  5. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    A- for me.

I will have more on this later on today! I will say I do like all the selections after giving it some time.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    A-

I have not liked much about our recent drafts but really like this one. Go figure.

7. Spock

Spock Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2015
    A-

I like this draft. Specific needs were addressed. No projects drafted. Multiple positions drafted. No reaches.

8. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I gave it a B+

But I have hopes it turns into a higher grade.

9. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I think this draft was "fine" after we gave away a 2nd rounder. I would have been fine with one of the 3rds.

Don't get it twisted, i like the aggressive leap if Bush is their player, but we normally don't have this many holes to fill.

I would have preferred giving away all picks 5-7 to keep and/or move up in the first 4 rounds in some fasion and get the best ILB, CB, Edge, WR we could have.

10. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    We’ll see who makes it through the summer Hahahahahahaha!

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Ha, I voted D and that grade is a combo of the players taken and which positions.

Bush - I've already posted about my dislike for the pick and the loss of draft capitol used to get him. That second rounder is gold imo. You find some early good prospects there and usually immediate contributors. I will admit the overall price we paid to move up 10 spots in the first wasn't as expensive as I thought it would be, I did not want to move up this draft unless it was for one of the defensive lineman and that position(s) wasn't a top need. Even then, I really wanted to stay at 20 and use the additional picks.
    During our discussions in the draft room, many did not like Bush in a trade up scenario, but since being selected I see a lot of the "well he's a Steeler now and may be good" type responses. I did that crap with Jarvis Jones when his college tape was bad, Dupree when I didn't see the 1st round grade and with Burns. Edmonds was out of left field and I had the same sentiment. I'm done with that. I'm just going to wait and see if Bush can change my mind. Until then I will be doubtful and we'll just leave it at that.

Johnson - I knew they were going to take a WR in the first 3 rounds so the position selection didn't bother me. But that was when I thought we would have 4 selections in the first 3 rounds. He's 5'10 and 183 with a 7.09 3-cone. Someone that small should be in the 6s with a 3 cone time. The 12% drop ratio is very bothersome as well. He will see playing time just because the offense will use 4 WRs and he has returned kicks in college with success. He may take a year, probably two to learn to deal with the bigger stronger NFL DBs.

Layne - I like that they took a corner, I'm just not optimistic about this one. MSU corners have a history of being hands on and we'll see if that continues. Its tough to see this on the games I've watched as the downfield angles are limited. He's another WR convert and is on the taller side like Brian Allen. I don't see any contributions year one as he is an outside corner and we have Haden/Nelson for now. I think Haden will re-sign next year at a team friendly deal due to his age so we'll see at that point in time. He has 33" arms which is nice and is usually a good tackler from what I've seen so I like that. His deep speed is a concern and the tendency to grab will be his biggest things to overcome. And with the flag happy NFL, that is a big hurdle. STs contributor year one.

Snell - With their pre-draft interest in RBs, they were going to take one but I think this was too high of a selection since we lost our 2nd rounder. I think defense needed another selection along the front 7 and TE is woefully thin. Instead they went with a RB3. I like the player fine and his character is a bonus, I'm not a fan of the position as I didn't see it as a pressing need. I don't see any STs contributions as Switzer will probably be back deep with Johnson on KR. Maybe as an upback on PATs and punt?? I'm sure he'll be willing.

Gentry - Just a horrible pick imo. TE is a big need. Outlaw went to Detroit, Grimble is a TE3 at best, Hodges was released and McDonald can be injury prone. This guy is slow, can't block very effectively and has no business being a 5th rounder. Scott Orndorff from Pitt was an UDFA two years ago and he had better measurables across the board except for 2 inches on the vertical. Focus drops and body catching are noted throughout all his reviews. I scouted TEs heavily this pre-draft and this guy....:facepalm:

Smith - I'm assuming they are going to try to make him an ILB since he is 6' 233. He played DE in college so I'm sure his pass coverage skills are limited but I didn't see any film at all. Another convert prospect (yaaa!) Maybe they will try him at nickel backer in camp? Again no idea on his pass coverage. He better be a STs demon but I can guarantee he is PS material until he learns a position.

Buggs - I liked this pick. They needed to bring in another DL. 6'3" 306 so right in line with Hargrave size wise. I'm hoping he becomes a steal as Hargrave needs someone to rotate with. LT Walton has lost favor with the team and Big Dan needs a big heave ho.

Gray - 6'4" 320 and played LT for Maryland for two seasons. According to reports he is better at pass blocking than run blocking. Probably a convert to the interior of the line. PS project for newly promoted Sarrett.

Overall, where defense is behind the offense in terms of making this a complete team, they only selected one player (Bush) who will contribute year one for sure. I have hopes for Buggs but another Dunbar student, Frasier, didn't work out last year. I have higher expectations though for Buggs. On offense we got a WR3/4 and a RB3 and a TE who should be a TE7. Really this draft was more about improving the STs than anything. Johnson as a returner, Layne on STs but probably no defensive snaps, Gentry, Smith and Gray as PS guys.

edit - Forgot about Gilbert in the 6th...I liked him in the pre draft process and as a candidate for ILB duties. STs guy from the get go as well. Good pick imo.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
    • Winner Winner x 3
  12. YinzerBuckeye

YinzerBuckeye Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2015
    I think anywhere from B to B+ is about right, IMO.

I liked the picks of Bush, Layne, and Snell.

Not sure about Johnson. It seems like he's the No. 4 WR at best right now.

Smith and Gilbert look intriguing. Those guys could be steals.

Buggs could probably provide some depth at DL.

Grey looks like a practice squad guy, IMO.

The only pick I didn't like outright was Gentry. He could have probably been picked up in the 7th or as a UDFA. There were better options at TE, IMO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    I would be okay with this if 1) We didn't trade for Switzer and gave him a legit chance and 2) Let a guy with blazing speed and showed upside walk to the Ravens, Matthew Thomas.

14. Steellamb86

Steellamb86 Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2015
    B+ for me. Loved that we moved up to get Bush. Not sure about the other picks because I don't know much about them.

Time will tell to see what the final grade will be....gotta give it a couple years.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    :applaud:.....saved me so much typing. The blow of the Bush trade is lessened to me because it's a 3rd next year. This years would of been too steep. I hate to be one of those " well he's here" types so I will just say at least we won't have to look back and regret not trading up. The good players improve as they go. I think he's a good player and I expect him to get better.

Right now im gonna grade this draft a C+ with the possibility it gets to a B+ down the road. Completely agree on what DJ needs to do to develop. Where is he gonna play outside? He's gonna have some tough sledding against NFL CBs until he improves his strength. Slot? It's a crowded room already. I think it's wishful thinking that he is gonna come in and be ahead of Washington,like some have stated. We saw how much Washington struggled and he was one of the best WRs in all of CFB . Unless there were other reasons for Washingtons lack of production I would expect DJ to have the same trouble.

I'm down on this draft much like you not because of the players we picked so much but because we didn't address glaring needs at TE and FS. So while I have it as a C+ for now with the possibility of a B+ there's also a chance of it going below a C+ too....JMO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I will give this draft a B. I like that they went after positions of need. Bush grew on me over the last couple of months. I hate what we gave up to take him, but I do think he will be a star player here.

The DJ pick I am okay with. We all knew they were going to take a wideout early. None of us really knew much about him. From what I have seen on film, I think the guy has a chance to be pretty darn good in this offense.

I love the Snell pick. He may be the steal of the whole draft. He is going to get a heavier workload than people expect in year one.

The rest of the draft was Meh... to me. I hate the TE pick. I see Layne as being a career contributor and special teamer, but never an NFL starter. The Buggs pick was pretty good.

All in all, it was a B for me.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    I’ll go solid C..... none of the players have proven anything yet.....

Losing 2 picks for Bush is a gamble, not sure if it’ll payoff. I’ve never really been thrilled with Michigan defenders in the past.

Johnson, seems like a bit of a stretch.... even if Arians was claiming he wanted him....

Layne, he has the size, but not speed, and will require some development.

Everyone after the 3rd round is a crap shoot, whether they even make the team. Bottom line is there are no plug and play players that we picked..... C average.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I graded B- as well. Solid, not sexy. I think the jury is still out on last year. If Edmonds and Washington show their potential, then I think the draft was pretty decent. Hard to judge Mason pick, if he wins the battle for back up and looks good the draft even looks better. having Chuks and Samuel play the way they did last years was a solid plus.

We know what we the expectations are for Devin, a lot. If he produces then that lifts this class. If Johnson sparks the return game, catches 50 plus balls and gets 5-7 td's that will improve the grade. The rest are a total toss up. I have been preaching Sp teams, and if our Sp teams play improves greatly by contribution from layne, Snell, Smith, and Gilbert..then again the grade improves.

• Like Like x 1
  19. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
  20. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
  21. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    as Turtle said it all. We wanted guys that got turnovers, we didn't do that.:cool:

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 3
  22. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    I gave it a B

today Iwas thinking, I thought we did a good job w the draft.

We got the guy we wanted and needed w Bush, so feeling good about that.

Johnson after doing a little research and watching him on tape (eerily reminiscent of Brown with quickness and shiftiness and some those moves) is growing on me, listening to what people are saying as far as off the field intangibles. We'll see but I think he will cut into Switzer playing time and get some return work and slot work. Switzer is alright and has proven he can play in the league but the more depth the better.

Layne, writers are saying he is our best pick. He fills a need and a lot of people were saying he is a first round talent. Personally I like Layne over Greedy Williams. I thought that was a decent pick. I like he was a 4 star recruit as a receiver out of high school. Pulling for him, we need the depth.

Snell, had a great college career and people were saying he did not have much help on offense. No great QB, receivers, maybe a ok offensive line. Defenses prepared and concentrated on stopping Snell and he still broke records at Kentucky. I am liking our runningback stable Connor, Samuels, Snell, a three headed monster (Hydra), we'll see, but guys on this board have had good things to say, so feeling good about that pick.

I dont have much to say about the other picks, have to wait and see. I, right now, am not sold on Gentry, his numbers are just not that inspiring outside of his height and catch radius, I do like that he used to be a QB, kind of interesting. We already have our tall TE on the practice squad w Scotland-Williams, hoping his development surprises.

Buggs, am looking for him to add depth, the word is pretty good so far, so looking to not have a Frazier repeat and get a solid contributor.

we'll see about the others

over all, like I said, I think we had a good draft.

grade B

23. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Coming out of college Shazier didn't create a lot of turnovers at Ohio State, maybe Bush can do the same once he gets to the NFL.

• Like Like x 1
  24. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Shazier did manage to force 5 fumbles to Bush's 0.

But the most telling stat is that Shazier had 102 solo tackles and 144 total as a Junior. He also had 23.5 TFL to Bushs 8.5.

Bush will not likely have the same impact on games that Shazier did or at least he has yet to show it.

• Like Like x 1
  25. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I was going by I heard they both only had 1 int in college.