1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Worst draft in years. It will set us back years!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SDOT, Apr 28, 2019.

1. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Glimpse of the future...

[​IMG]

2. bettissb40

bettissb40 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    That maybe a good thing. Get in players faces ever now and then. Not the cheerleader type we have now.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Do you think a team strategically moves back to pick a player just to stick it to some other team? If the Steelers wanted Metcalf, they could have found a way to take him in spite I=of what the Pats did. This is not a sexy draft at all, but many 'experts' who gave high grade ratings on players this year were way off where they eventually got picked. This will lead to many speculations, the experts are not what they think they are, the teams have a far different system of ratings, or the players themselves were far more equal in value (parity) and none really jumped off the tape as sure fire picks.

What I see in this draft is a significant upgrade in one critical area of the game. The last few years our special teams have sucked, either because our players were to slow..or more shameful they just did not like to hit hard and tackle. A few of these guys have that potential to do just that and are fast. That alone can account for more victories especially in close games. Another need addressed by these same players. The non-sexy role of being able to come in in different packages and fill that zone adequately. Repeating from above, ours subs sucked..especially in tackling. If these rookies fill this role a lot of those 3rd and longs will not be converted, our O is back on the field.

I do not see instant stars here, but instant improves depth, hell yes.

4. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    I was reading a guys whining yesterday on some other site. Stated the 5 worst Steeler busts ever, they started out with a 7th round pick that did not make the team, LMAO. yep, end of discussion right there.

5. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    Evidently by at least Bruce Arians..lol

6. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    I don't know how else to explain what happened. Steelers couldn't find a way to get him because they refuse to trade up. It took losing 2 elite players, 2nd, and 3rd to move up 10 spots. They sat on their hands the rest of the draft and stock piled 6th rounders that won't even make the ps.

You know we had a great specials guy with a lot of speed and showed a lot of promise. His name was Matthew Thomas and we let him walk to the Ravens. While keeping Mata and giving Chick 8 million. We also had a D Johnson that could run the whole tree and showed a lot of promise and could have a year of experience under his belt and we waived him. His name was Damoun Patterson.

7. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    It's not that they refuse to move up...their board and observations are just not the same as yours. A draft really is a total crapshoot from round 1 to 7. A lot of those players taken in rounds 1 and 2 will have less than stellar careers, some taken in rounds 4 and 5 will turn out to be studs. Couch warriors watching snippets of video from a drunken stupor always claim they know more than the professionals.

Chill, the sun will come up tomorrow and this summer will pass. Then the real fun begins, Go Steelers.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Jmos3

Jmos3 Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2017
    I’m pretty sure that back shoulder throw is one of the hardest passes to defend. It’s not like he was in bad position either. Great catch by the receiver that went in the first round. Juju did the same to Jalen Ramsey and most consider him the best corner in the league. My point being even great players get beat.

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    You would think this being one of Tomlin’s last drafts he’d be super aggressive.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  10. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Yeah until he became disinterested come week 3.

11. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    How about that when someone overtly states that they are through with the Steelers or the NFL (i.e. quitters), that wish should be perpetually upheld when they predictably resurface again (like nothing ever happened) by placing all of their subsequent posts and new threads started exactly where they belong..............under unwanted used merchandise in the "Classified Section". Short of that, the ignore button achieves the same result. :bscow:

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  12. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Get in the players faces after he get done taking his naps in meetings :roflmao:

13. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    I did not even bother reading the OP on this particular play. Granted the highlight vids put out for individuals are going to be loaded with stellar plays. Every great corner (or player) has been beat for a TD, I want to know what he did after being beat. Did he run to the bench crying, sucking his thumb and holding his blankie? Or did he man up, shake it off, put it out of his mind and return to work. The latter is what we want.

14. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Anyone that hangs out in the draft forum knows I wanted Metcalf. I'd say his drop from the 1st rd had more to do with neck injury concerns than ability. IMO, he will be a monster for Seattle.

That said, if Diontae turns out to be the next AB, there will be a lot of happy fans. Even SDOT.... I think.

15. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Felling cute, might draft better next year. IDK

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  16. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    I like this draft better than the last two and not because of how the players turned out either.

Drafting a qb in both 2017 and 2018 was one too many and drafting a long snapper was beyond the pale. That's two picks that were simply wasted before a single workout or snap. At least this year every pick made sense strategically, if not in the specific player taken.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    Next AB? Well that would be nice, but even if he turns in out to be the next Manny Sanders that is a really nice career.

18. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Chicken little is out in full force

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

Harrison would be a better LB coach than Peezy, but I'm damning him with faint praise. But your qualities for a good coach: getting in players faces, not bring a cheerleader, weren't those Joeys strengths? That had that style for several years and it didn't work too well.

20. mrn6

mrn6 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    At the end of the day, we all want the Steelers to win the SB.. but I have learned over the years, to give a draft class at least a couple of years before passing judgement. I have seen so many players do well in college and play horribly in the NFL.. and vice versa.

21. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Hey TODS backwards... RELAX!!! Just breathe my guy.

• Like Like x 1
  22. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I beg to differ. Justin Layne had him most of the game and played great up until that point. He is still in the process of learning. To do that against someone like N'Keal is nothing short of incredible.

Give those two the same amount of experience and I doubt the narrative is the same. Layne is as athletically gifted as N'Keal is. Add some coaching to Layne and Harry will have a more difficult time making those plays.

23. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Even going back to their days at Ohio State and Florida State respectively, Jalen Ramsey and Marshon Lattimore had issues defending back shoulder fades. For that matter, a back shoulder fade to JuJu is what assisted Pittsburgh's come from behind victory against Jacksonville last season; almost the same via Antonio Brown against New Orleans.

People act as if the back shoulder fade is a very beatable pass. News flash! It is not. Every corner has issues with it. That being said, Justin Layne is still relatively new to the position. Once Terryl Austin and Tom Bradley coach him up on the dos and do nots, look out.

• Like Like x 1
  24. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Go look at the 3 drops he had against Washington.

25. Jmos3

Jmos3 Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2017
    Exactly, Giants have a super bowl show for because of that exact same pass.
    I’m excited fir this kid. He’s a lot more polished than I was expecting. Still needs coached but a very fine prospect.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1