1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

i will be the first sucker

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steel1031, Apr 27, 2019.

1. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I am looking at this draft and I am happy.

rd 1 devin bush. I admit I wasn't happy about trading up for him. I have talked to a few Michigan fans who say we hit a homerun. he fills a huge need. I hope he works out. just because we traded up 10 spots I give a grade of: B

rd 3 diontae Johnson. all I really remember is watching Toledo play Miami and saying that this kid can play. I like the pick because I wasn't really high on any wr in the draft. I like the kid at Stanford but I have heard Johnson is the best route runner in the draft. grade: B

rd 3 Justin layne. looks like a specimen. plays big. is big. good size and tackles well. I think he is raw and I HOPE that means we can coach him up. because of his size and athletic ability grade: B

rd 4 benny snell jr. I didn't think we would look at rb this early but watching this guy a lot. I can say I have wanted to see him in black and gold. he is a major competitor. physical and almost always finishes going forward. not bad speed for his size but always seems to get the yards needed. in rd 4? grade: A

rd5 Zach gentry. good gosh he is big. he looks athletic. didn't catch many balls but it is Michigan. we needed a tight end. huge target and ran better at pro day. grade: B

rd 6 Sutton smith. I love this pick. this kid doesn't stop and plays fast. he isn't a full time starter but I can see him being a stud on special teams and even being a problem in situational pass rushing. he will hit you. grade: B

rd 6 Isiah buggs. I am a bama fan. I admit I wanted him bad. he is a great kid and you cant run on him. he isn't going to get 10 sacks but can get pressure. very hard to move and doesn't quit. in the 6th? grade: A

rd 7 ulysses gilbert. know nothing about him. I have read that he is great at diagnosing plays and getting ball carrier to the ground sounds good to me. plus, Ulysses is a great name grade: B

rd 7 derwin gray I cant wait to see this dude play guard and pull. he is a decent athlete. I think that is what he will be and that is why he may have dropped because reading up on him. I have seen some had him as a 4th or 5th rd projection. 2 time all conference in the 7th grade A

overall I think it is a solid draft. got a rotational dline player late. a good rb for depth. upgraded the corner position and wr position. a versatile oline man. 2 guys who can tackle.

what I hope is an all pro type linebacker who will come in and fix the middle of the field issues.

I think with barron, bush, Edmonds, davis, the middle of the d looks promising

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm not going to do grades but I think the first 4 picks are solid. My best friend who is as big a college fan as anyone texted me when Bush was the pick and said you are going to love this kid and he's not even a Michigan fan. I don't think I have see any analysts knock that pick. Someone also made the excellent point that he will have Shazier mentoring him.

You can't watch DJ and not think of AB and he's a better route runner at this point than AB was coming out. Most fans didn't know about him but he is well liked in the scouting community. Toledo coach said there was a ton of scouts coming by to look at him.

Really wanted Julian Love but Layne was called the best CB in the draft by Jonah Tuls. Lets hope thats true.

Snell is my favorite pick, thats a great 1-2 punch with Conner. Would not be surprised to see Snell wrestle the starting roll away from JC eventually.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I think it’s very good thing that Bruce Arian’s wanted Johnson from Toledo. He knows a lot about offense and was highly involved in the Steelers staff when they took some great wideouts during his tenure here.

Maybe they know something we don’t.

I didn’t watch a lot of video on him he has great footwork from what I did watch

• Like Like x 1
  4. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Well I'm glad you do because this is my least favorite draft since 2012. It's also the first time I feel like the Browns and Patriots out drafted us. Ravens got better while we are stuck in neutral.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  5. Smitch89

Smitch89 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    Reading this it sounds like we just got 9 future Hall of famers.. Lol the hell outta here with this garbage

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  6. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Lets hope all picks can contribute in someway to improve our team.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
  7. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Looks like a pretty solid draft to me. Of course time will tell whether or not it was. Also going to be interesting to see if trading up in the first round was the right thing to do. Our need of a play making inside linebacker and Bush’s potential seem to be worth it. As always going to be fun to see how these pics develop.

8. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Didn’t you hear though? Steelers reached because bush would’ve been available in the 4th lol

9. steel1031

Oct 16, 2011
    it amazes me every year. why don't we get 9 dudes that were suppose to be 1st rounders? lol

10. steel1031

Oct 16, 2011
    yeah. cause I said they will all make it.

• Like Like x 2
  11. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Apparently every other team drafts amazing players yet it’s patriots and a random one timer winning the sb every year and not those draft honeys.

12. steel1031

Oct 16, 2011
    I like that everyone was against us drafting greedy because he had bust written all over him but the browns get him and its oh crap. they got the next dion sanders.

the pats? I see 3 players that can contribute. I hate they got harris. Williams I like. I see harry and winovich as busts. sorry I do

• Like Like x 1
  13. Nj43

Nj43 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I love this draft. Pit FINALLY got aggressive and made a move to get a playmaker on Defense. The kid from Toledo looks real good and Layne has all the tools. The bottom of the draft has real football players in it with Snell and Buggs. I’m excited about it. Go Steelers

• Like Like x 1
  14. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Couldn't disagree more. Going to be very good players, especially with Belichick coaching them up.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Smitch89

Smitch89 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    There on the pats now which means they won't be busts.. Now if we picked them up different story

16. steel1031

Oct 16, 2011
    Lol. I just dont see winovich has a full time starter. The few games I watch which were against the better teams they played. I forgot he was on the field. He just didnt make plays and seemed to always be 1 or 2 steps from making the play

He had 1 tackle in the bowl game against South Carolina

17. SteelerCat

SteelerCat New Member

Apr 27, 2019
    Snell is better than Harris, no question in my mind. Living in Ky (Harris was Ky high school Mr. Football before he went to Bama), I've seen both of them a lot.

Snell did what he did with Ky's lesser rated O line and without Tua to take the focus of the D away. I'd rather have Snell all day every day.

• Like Like x 1
  18. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I thought Harry was being over valued. I would have to think Brady can make use of him though. Lots of mouths to feed in New England though so not sure what his production will look like.

Like every other Michigan defensive player I have issues evaluating guys from that scheme. I do like Winovich though.

2 turn offs I had about him was age (24) and the fact he really is trying to build a personal brand off the field. I think he can be a valuable pass rusher though.

19. steel1031

Oct 16, 2011
    I like both. I do think Harris catches better but being a bama fan and watching him. He isnt a great wr but wasnt ask to be. I think Snell will end up being one of the best from this class

20. bettissb40

bettissb40 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I just hope they don't sit Snell to long. I have watched him play many times and he is good.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Do you do anything besides complain about everything?:shrug:

• Like Like x 1
  22. LambertsDentist

LambertsDentist Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2014
    In some other universe there was internet in 1974. I traveled to that universe and time (good acid,man) and read the Steeler message boards after their draft. Here's what I learned:

Lynn Swann is too slow for a 1st rounder. Lambert too skinny to play in the NFL. Stalworth looked good in college, but he played in a small college against lesser talent. Hes a wasted 3rd round pick because he can't play against top tier defenders. Webster might be a decent backup.

This draft will set us back for years. We spent 40 years in the wilderness, had 2 playoff years in 72 and 73, and now we're back to sucking. Fire Chuck Noll! Grade D-

• Like Like x 1
  23. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

What would you have done this draft?! Not being aggressive here either. Curious to hear your response.

24. STEELWARRIOR

STEELWARRIOR Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I second that!!! I'm a big ASU fan "RIP PAT TILLMAN" Harry seemed to get manhandled by some of the bigger CB's in the PAC 12 he has good size, but lacks upper body strength to bang with big physical CB's.

25. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Apparently not.

• Like Like x 1