1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

1974 Steelers Fans Message Board (for the Fun of it)

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by mytake, Apr 27, 2019.

1. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    How in the heck to you draft Lynn Swann in the first round? We need a QB, Bradshaw hasn't proved anything since he has been in the league.

Jack Lambert? Who? A 6'4" middle linebacker who weighs 215 lbs. in the second round from Kent State, now that's a football power. We should have taken a DT because Joe Greene is getting older.

John Stallworth? Who? What is Bill Nunn telling the Steelers? Another wide receiver in the 4th round. They could have got him in the 16th round. No one has ever heard of him. They need a hard hitting safety. Are they waiting to get one off the streets?

What an underweight center in the 5th round? I guess they needed someone for special teams or a long snapper.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    I was 17 years old when that draft came out and was excited about the pick of Swann in the first round and didn't know anything about the rest of them.
    You could see right away in pre -season that Stallworth was going to be special and then early on in the season our MLB, Henry Davis was injured and replaced by Lambert who quickly became a fan favorite with his maniacal style of play.

3. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    I'm sure the Mustard man had us going 6-8 that year! FCNI!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  4. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Fun remembrance. From what I recall in past interviews Chuck Noll actually wanted to take Stallworth in the 1st. That man knew talent. Lambert was a trouble maker from the start (just kidding), according to Swann he would walk by Swannie's locker and complain that He (jack) should have been taken first! LOL,

5. Hanratty#5

Apr 20, 2019
    I was just reading a 1974 post draft review by Phil Musik, the long time sports reporter from the Post Gazette. Musick's stated that the Steelers got Swann and "very little else". His take on Lambert was that if he makes the team he will be a "5th linebacker at best". As for Mike Webster he said "someone needs to snap the ball in training camp".
    Musick was a very good sports writer in his day so it just goes to show you that until draft picks take the field you just don't know how they will turn out.

6. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    [
    Was this an article or link. Please post the link if available. I would love to read it.

7. Hanratty#5

Apr 20, 2019
    I found it on the Steelers Universe message board under the heading"Louis Riddick loves the Steeler draft".
    It has a link that has the article in the Altoona Mirror newspaper. Sorry I am in my sixties and don't now how to transfer it here for you.

8. Mcgee

Mcgee Active Member

Oct 2, 2016
    The greatest draft by any team of all time. Just goes to prove some people have a special talent to see future great NFL players no matter where they went to school.

9. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    To be fair:

Back then there was no internet and you couldn't just pull up whole seasons worth of footage and click through the snaps to view the players you wanted to.

Now, with the exception of some of the lower tier colleges, you can pull almost every game up and the major conferences have ALL-22 footage as well.

10. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Noll did want to take Stallworth in the first round. He and the scouts loved Stallworth. Noll had to be convinced that they could get Stallworth much later, but Swann wouldn't make it past the first round, so they had to take Swann first.

The OP was funny, but as somebody already pointed out, we have a hell of a lot more information available to us know than the media and fans had access to back in 1974. Even the teams were in the dark on some players. That is how the Steelers got Stallworth so late.

11. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
  12. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
  13. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    The day after Joe Greene was drafted, the headline on the sports page was “Joe Who?”