1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Which first 2 day draft would you have preferred?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SDOT, Apr 27, 2019.

1. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    A)

Bush
    Metcalf
    Chase Wino

B)

Bush
    D Johnson
    Justin Layne

We missed Metcalf by basically 1 pick and Chase by like 5. But have 6 picks in the final 4 rounds. We could have easily used some of those to move up for a better 2 day draft. Instead they act like losing Bell, AB, and giving up our 2nd to move up 10 spots in the 1st was the most earth shattering move ever. Our draft went to crap quick.

2. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Knowing the CBs who were available, I was hoping they’d trade back into the second. But it would likely mean losing our thirds plus more. As it is, we seem to have landed a decent CB in the end, plus an intriguing WR.

3. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    You knew after trading up in the first the Steelers aren't going to do any more trading up most likely the rest of the draft.

4. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Yeah, well it's screwed them. We got an Eli Rogers clone and corner who has played the position for 2 years. Just drafted a RB lol what a mess.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. Smitch89

Smitch89 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    Colbert left the room after the bush pick and said my work here is done

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  6. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Only explanation

7. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    While not a draft guru, it would seem to me that a handicap to trading for a 2nd round pick was the absence of a 2nd round pick to give up. If the Steelers’ offer of a third and a sixth is so inviting, why can’t the Steelers use those same picks for something good? Perhaps in their overall strategy, they are looking at using those picks to add depth and competition.

The Steelers gave up essentially their first 2 picks to get Bush. So, it makes sense to go offense with the 66th overall pick. Time will tell if they made a good one or not. I remember reading on this board how awful the JuJu pick was. 2 years later, he’s our #1 receiver.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Nj43

Nj43 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Not sure if I’m in the minority here but I think Steelers are having a good draft. One of 2 best Inside LBs in Draft at minimal cost. A steal at cb in 3rd in Layne and a physical, productive RB in 4th. The fear is the pick of Johnson. But with Steelers recent track record of WRs, I will give them the benefit of the doubt there. Go Steelers

9. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    How can anybody declare the draft a failure without any of the players playing a single down. The media build up certain players that doesn’t mean they are the best ones or the right ones for the Steelers.

I didn’t want Metcalfe, he has a very high chance of being a bust and he plummeted accordingly. They have done their homework on Johnson and have a mostly great record with drafting WR’s. Let’s see in 2-3 years how good he is, yes that is how long it may take.

A RB was needed for depth and CB was not an urgent need, Nelson and Haden should be a very capable duo for the foreseeable future but it’s good to have somebody sitting behind them.

I thought they’d take Winovich at 3a but obviously they saw something that made them doubt him. We’ll see if it was the right call. Unless you are in the draft room with access to all the scouting reports we can’t say this was the right or wrong thing to do.

10. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Eli Rogers clone? Lol. The comps the pros made were AB and Emmanuel Sanders.

11. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

Minimal? 1-2-3 to get him. Did we use that much for troy?:cool:

12. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Troy was a Steal for certain.

That being said, one major aspect. I wonder if the Jimmy Johnson/Harvard Value Charts were more prominent then than now. Colbert has already been on record stating that every team has their own. He did not specify when did this all become a mainstay for all 32 teams.

13. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Well, we fleeced KC in that deal.

I still would not have made this trade to move to #10, but I get it. As ive said KC and MT have put their necks on the line with this trade.

No different than a trade where a team moves into the top 10 to get a QB.

I can't say I believe moving into the top 10 for an ILB is a smart idea. If he turns into that DROY/pro bowler some predict well then I can live with it.

I think the blow was lessened that we only moved 1 pick from this year's draft. A future 3 (which only has a current value of a 4th) is easy to swallow.

Wasn't my favorite draft, but I think there's enough good to work with. We might hit home runs with Bush and Johnson or they could be big swings and misses that will carry consequences.

14. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I'd take option C.

1st - Someone besides Bush, more than likely Byron Murphy. Slot CB is the hardest position on the defense and he can play slot/nickel or on the outside when needed. DeAndre Baker would have been good too.
    2nd - meat of the draft and another chance to get a 2nd legitimate starter. JJ Arcega Whiteside WR Stanford would have been my pick there. You know an actual X receiver who is tall and can get those combat catches, red zone TDs.
    3rdA - Germaine Pratt ILB
    3rdB - Kahale Warring TE

but we traded into the top 10 and lost our second rounder. So we lost two chances (one in this year's 2nd and one in next year's 3rd) to add significant help to the roster.
    I hear all of you claiming that the fans are begging to trade up for an impact player. I never wanted to trade up and most of the posters in the draft room felt the same way. Drafting defense has been our shortcoming recently and losing two chances really impedes the process imo.

The top 10 of the draft is usually reserved for generational talents. I don't see it with Bush. The guy never makes a play where he fights through the trash. He's short for the position and his ability to see over NFL olineman will be in question. I see a lot of false steps in his reads which leads me to believe his instincts are suspect. I see a lot of unobstructed runs at the ball carrier. It's like watching film of Jarvis Jones' sacks. Never beat an OL cleanly but everyone thought he was the next big thing. And I'm not comparing the athleticism, just the easy paths they had for the tackle.
    Off the top of my head...
    OSU tape - one good tackle on a stretch run to the right, did not defeat any blockers that I can recall. It was on Weber
    PSU tape - one good tackle on a running play as well
    Neb tape - beat the blockers to the RB on a screen and caught Izigbo (undrafted power back) from behind to the outside
    watched 2 or 3 others but don't recall any thing significant.
    It just doesn't scream top 10 to me.

But don't take it from me..
    The new HC of the Denver Broncos, Vic Fangio, is known as getting his chops coaching LBers. Ray Lewis ring a bell, Rickey Jackson, Pat Swilling, Kevin Greene, Roquan Smith? And who traded away the chance to get Bush? Fangio, with these 3 stellar LBers on his roster. - Josey Jewell 38 tackles, Keishawn Beirria 3 tackles and Todd Davis 80 tackles.
    And Fangio himself said Devin Bush (or Devin White) were not on Smith's level yet. This we knew. He also said he thought Devin White was a 3 down backer but made no mention of Bush.

I don't see the elite production in college or dominating traits to warrrant this pick and trade up.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  15. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    ILB was a much bigger need than a slot CB, like Tomlin said Bush is a all situations ILB.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. Steelers304

Steelers304 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2015
    The Toledo WR looks to be a complete WR that can run routes really good and is good In space. Metcalf is martavis bryant if he ate a lot of power bars. Chase looks ok but gut feeling on him for me is that he might not be a solid starter on the next level. The first 4 picks are going to make an instant impact for this team. Some good depth added in the later rounds , which what you find in later rounds. Rarely a superstar comes late . The TE pick is the only pick I thought wasn't that great

17. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    We are missing somebody to take the top off a defense. Metcalf is a faster/stronger Bryant. Teams are going to stack the box and double Juju. Its going to be tough sledding. The WR we drafted we have a bunch of; Eli, Switz, and Juju. Washington has proven he cant take a top off a defense but he's good at combat catches. We should have moved him to Jujus role last year. Juju into ABs and hope he gets a little better running the whole tree. Metcalf to take the top off defenses.

18. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Will find out soon enough,we need these first four picks to produce immediately.

19. Nj43

Nj43 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The flip of the 1s was always gonna happen. The 2 only cost us 14 spots. The 3 next year will be offset by Lev comp pick. So the cost was minimal, yes.

20. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Knowing how the draft did play out and if u we're to stand pat at every pick, my optimal draft would look like:

1. CB Byron Murphy
    2. S Nasir Adderly
    3a. LB Germaine Pratt
    3b. RB Justice Hill
    4. WR Riley Ridley
    5. DT Daylon Mack
    6a. LB Sutton Smith
    6b. TE Alize Mack
    6c. LB Koron Crump
    7. OG Nate Herbig

Fixed the secondary. Stabilized the ILB. Depth for OLB. Got another great route running WR who may not be a great athlete. Depth for oline and dline.

Still don't love the TE choice but need someone. high priority in 2020.

1. OLB
    2. TE
    3. CB

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  21. jasper04

jasper04 Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2012
    I have to agree!! those first six picks are TOP NOTCH imo !! I normally see what the front office is doing, this year???I do like our fist pick, and the RB, but rest of draft choices are questionable at best. there was better talent that we passed on that could come in and have at least some impact THIS year! I'm not just talking my opinion. Multiple sites combined and respected former NFL evaluators had several better players ranked higher when we picked. Even after the trade for Bush, we had the chance to hammer this draft out of the park. I've followed the Steelers for over 40 years. worst passing of talent I have seen yet. Bush WILL be good, along with Snell,and DJ the rest? average back ups special teamers at best. Way too much talent left on the board.

Our drafting has been slipping the last few years. Yes we make some great to good picks, but I will always look back on this draft and think what could have been, even trading up, and I've seen them all for the last 30 yrs.

Bush HAS to be the top self playmaker they think he is, or we are in trouble. The rest are just too much project, not enough player.

We have defined our window. It's 3 yrs. With the trade up we didn't just go for a much needed ILB, we went for a playmaker(I hope this was there thinking). The rest of the picks are longer projects than the window. There are too many players contracts with 1n yr left to pass on the better talented players that were available at a position of need.

Your draft is the perfect example. We could have even traded up for bush and came away with close to what you have. just don't get it. Gantry??? really???? We just guaranteed to draft high S, OLB, CB, and maybe even TE next year. We can't keep telling the rest of the league what we have to draft.

I will support our new Steelers as always, but for this year I will always think what could have been.

Thus ends my rant. I'll now crawl back under my rock, keeping my fingers crossed we didn't draft more Edward's.

Allen.