1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

How long have you been a fan of the Steelers?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Iowasteeljim, Apr 13, 2019.

1. Less than 5 years

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  2. 10 plus years

3 vote(s)
    4.8%
  3. 20 plus years

3 vote(s)
    4.8%
  4. 30 plus years

8 vote(s)
    12.7%
  5. 40 plus years

34 vote(s)
    54.0%
  6. 50 plus years

14 vote(s)
    22.2%
  1. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    That is my story. Had one channel out of Erie and only had AFL coverage. I started loving the Raiders simply because Freddy Belitnikoff was from Erie and I also loved George Blanda's heroics in 1970. Then we got cable and access to Pitt stations , the Steelers joined the AFC and Franco set the world on fire. The Raiders helmet went to the attic.

2. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    I remember walking by a store window near the Point that had a t-shirt on display.
    The caption read: "The only sign of intelligent life in Cleveland."
    It was a picture of a highway sign that read: "Pittsburgh, 130 miles."

(Oddly enough, my friend who grew up a Cleveland fan did not find it as funny as I did.)

• Like Like x 1
  3. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    The AFL was great. Full of characters: Al Davis, Ernie Ladd, Namath, Cookie Gilchrist. A wide open game, designed for newly available color TV: Chargers Powder Blue, Jets Kelly Green, Oilers Silver Blue and Red, detailed helmet insignia, and names of players on the back of the uniforms. Two point conversions, Flipper in the sideline pool at Dolphins games. The AFL dipped heavily into small black colleges for talent the NFL didn't want. Chuck Noll's first coaching job was with Sid Gilman in San Diego, he was there for 6 years. A rag tag, fun, and innovative league, that did its best with Lamar Hunts open wallet.

The game is waaaay better today, but it will never be more fun. Maybe because I'm not 8 yrs old anymore.

4. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    We lived in Pleasanton, (East Bay area) in the mid 60s and everyone was a Raider fan. When we moved to San Diego in the late 60s, I had a brain fart and actually rooted for...……...that team for a couple of years. Until 1972!

5. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    I started watching football with my Dad when I was around 7 years old in 1964. Buddy Parker was the Steelers head coach then and John Henry Johnson was the star of the team. Back then none of the home games were on TV because Pitt stadium was never sold out so you only saw the road games.
    The Green Bay Packers were the premier team back then and were on TV every week, that is why a lot of guys my age are life time Packer fans around the country.

6. leveraged

leveraged Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Product of Magee Hospital Pittsburgh PA Est. 1972

7. Daddymac10

Daddymac10 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015
    Being from Chicago I cheer the Bears too, but I bleed black & gold since 1977...

8. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Ditto Da Bears. I spent 5 years in Chicago with a super bowl win in the middle.

9. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    My mom was a big Bear's fan around the time. She didn't know piddly about football but was pretty excited every time the Bears scored a home run. She loved watching the Fridge (and so did I), but my heart was always with the Steelers.

10. Jay31

Jay31 Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    I became a Steelers fan in 2002, when I was 12 years old. I remember the 2002 season when they had James Farrior, Clark Haggans, Larry Foote, Tommy Maddox, and Jerome Bettis. I loved that Browns vs Steelers wildcard game. And I remembered in the next round, the divisional game, where the Steelers lost to the Titans. I was pissed off. Lol

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
  11. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Until this pick.:hmm::cool:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1