1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Barron to sign

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by PolamaluBlitz, Mar 17, 2019.

1. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Another example is Mike Mitchell, who was given credit for turning around the Colts defense last season after he washed out in Pittsburgh the year before.

2. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I strongly doubt Edmunds performance had anything to do with Burnett's release.

3. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Given the fact that Edmunds did progress throughout the season, I would say that did add a factor into it. That in it of itself was not the main reason though. Health was as many of us know.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    The release was mostly due to Barnett not wanting to play in the role the Steelers had him lined up to play.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...an-burnett-requests-his-release-from-steelers

"The 30-year-old expressed to Rapoport a desire for a new start and a chance to play safety again. Burnett often played dime linebacker in Pittsburgh, or as he described it to Rapoport, "out of position."

Definitely Edmunds made the decision easier.

5. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    "We need volunteers, not hostages." - Mike Tomlin

6. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Edmumds is most definitely one. Burnett was one. Turned himself into a hostage afterwards. Much of it does have to do with his dissatisfaction with the role he was playing. Terrell's improvement was the other.

7. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    As soon as Burnett opened his mouth about wanting out, he was gone. Nothing else played a factor after that.
    He 'might' have been gone anyway and some of it 'might' have been based on Edmunds performance, but Burnett sealed the deal with his comment. Anything that happened before his comment didn't matter. The #1 reason Burnett is no longer a Steelers is because he didn't want to be.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Our coaching staff brought the best in Heyward, Watt, and Shazier before his injury :shrug:.

• Like Like x 1
  9. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Or because Burnett isn't worth his 4 million salary :shrug:

10. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    You're missing the point. It wouldn't have mattered if Burnett was getting paid the minimum.
    If Burnett wasn't granted the release he requested, would he be considered a volunteer or a hostage?:shrug:

11. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Yeah well Burnett ain't no AB, so his demands mean nothing. I would've cut him just because he couldn't stay healthy, and when he played he wasn't that good :shrug:.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Tomlin's volunteers/hostages comment was in reference to Bell, not Brown.

All the reasons to cut Burnett became irrelevant once he said he wanted out.

My mistake, Tomlin actually repeated his volunteers/hostages statement recently when asked about the loss of Bell and Brown.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
  13. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I mean try being honest rather than lie about what other posters say. Of course, you didn't do that. You simply doubled down on our lie.

What I said was that Polamalu's entire resume was far better than that of Edmunds. The rest is fiction made up by you. Stick to posting dog pictures. It makes you seem more honest and intelligent than when you actually write something.

14. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    this is just my opinion but I feel non playoff heyward, Watt, and Shazier were/are that good to overcome our defensive schemes.

There is hope for Edmunds

15. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Another stud hof linebacker & we can start winning SBs again before Ben hangs it up imo.

16. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Ah.. I see. So if it is not your truth then it is not "The Truth". That however is not the here nor there. I am more so focused on the second part of the statement.

[​IMG]

We were, rather have been, debating about whether or not Terrell can make the leap. His progression during the season says he can. For that matter, his performance doubly so. I never did, have or will ever say Terrell is the next Troy. I did state though that I believe Terrell will make the second year jump based on his performance.

In short?! Hindsight is a both a blessing and a curse. Darius Leonard is not coming to the Steelers. That being said though, if the team truly thought of Leonard so highly as some suggest, why was he not picked with our first pick?! Better yet, given the fact that some people simply do not believe in Mason Rudolph the same, why didn't Pittsburgh trade their second pick in addition to the pick received by Oakland (the pick that allowed Pittsburgh to move up to acquire Mason) to the likes of Indianapolis?! There can really be only one possible answer. It has nothing to do with Pittsburgh not drafting a Small School player in the First Round either. Here is the most likely reason overall given the information that is now known.

Something must have transpired during the Pre Draft Visit Pittsburgh used to get another look at Darius. What that is will remain a mystery. That being said though, Kevin Colbert already alluded to this during his Pre Draft Presser before the 2018 Draft;

“They maybe do one thing really well. Maybe they rush the passer better than they cover. Maybe they’re better zone droppers than they are man defenders. Very few of them are really, what you say, four down type players. Some of them are two down, some of them are three, some of them are one down. They might only be special teamers.”

This quote tells me that, even with Darius' abilities, there is a good chance he would have not fit in our system. For that matter, Darius has never played in a 3-4 Defense in his college days. South Carolina State ran a 4-3 exclusively. Now, is that the main reason why he is not a Steeler now?! Very unlikely as this did not stop them from drafting Shazier. Did the lack of familiarity with said defense hurt his chances?! It is Possible.

Was Darius versatile like RaShaan Evans, Leighton Vander Esch, Tremaine Edmunds and Roquan Smith?! Absolutely not. Leonard is tailor made for a specific alignment. Those aforementioned four were not; scheme transcendent. Pittsburgh was looking for that type of linebacker. They could not get him. Instead, they opted for another player who has scheme transcendent potential due to the multiple positions and alignments he played in; Terrell Edmunds. Usually being moved around means the coach cannot find a position for said player. However, since Terrell produced well during his time in college, his nagging shoulder in his final year no less, he was a high target on their board. Jeremy Fowler put it best, as shown here;

Before I conclude this silly farce for good, Strong Safety was the next current need available given the fact that Sean Davis switched positions to Free Safety; Strong Safety becoming just as important. Much like Vance McDonald, Pittsburgh was not too keen on simply giving the reigns to Morgan Burnett, an injury prone player. For that matter, merely counting on Burnett to stay healthy an entire season, something he has not done since 2012, would have been a far greater leap of faith in it of itself due to his past history as hindsight is not being used here for the simple fact that Burnett has been oft injured since 2012. Most of all though, due to the continual evolution of NFL Offenses, Pittsburgh needed a mult-role Safety and not just a throwback one; someone who could hopefully stay healthy the same. Had Terrell been the latter with major health concerns, I would be with the general consensus that he will not improve at all. Since he is not however, this is not the case.

To conclude, given all of what many of us know, Terrell showed growth and promise at the conclusion of his rookie season. Like all rookies, he had his bad plays but also had good ones. An offseason to hone those skills cand and will pay dividends. To top it all off, he is only 22. Will he be great?! Way too difficult to tell. Will he be much better in Year Two?! Most definitely.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I think a little bit of both. It's like that awkward time in relationship that both parties know it just isn't going to work out.

18. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I think Barron got more?

19. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I think timing also had a lot to do with the release. AB, bell and then Burnett wanting out while they were dealing with the first two. You don't want to be here and get with the program, then fine. We will find hungry players that do want to play here.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    If he did it's because Barron will start, Burnett wasn't going to start for the Steelers, therefore he wasn't worth his 4 million salary.

21. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Hopefully Barron wil start. That was the intention of Burnett?

22. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    You were full of crap from word one of that post, so you'll pardon me for skimming and ignoring most of your foolishness.

You have constantly lied about what I post. You are dishonest. That is simply fact. You lied. I caught it. Admit it or don't. When we're talking about what I post, yes, I do get to tell you what that truth is. You don't get to make up your own version and have it be true.

You always post goofy pictures when you've got nothing of value to say. Polamalu had a better resume than Edmunds coming into his pro career. It's not close. Even you know that.

The bit about Leonard isn't hindsight. I didn't think Leonard would be an All-Pro as a rookie, but I absolutely thought he should have been the pick over Edmunds at the time and I was proven right.

I never said Edmunds can't make a leap forward this coming season. That's another dishonest point by you. I said the comparisons to Polamalu are foolish and they are mostly used to try to justify a bad pick.

Polamalu was a great college player and a consensus first-round pick by everybody. Even a rough first year wasn't good reason to give up on him.

Edmunds was a third-round projection. The rest is just bull**** hindsight. It's nice to see you actually doing the same crap of which you accuse me. That just adds a touch of hypocrisy to the dishonesty.

23. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Edmunds was a first round pick. We made him one. Troy could have very easily been Bob Sanders that year. We made the right choice then and the right choice now, like it or not. They got the guy they wanted.:cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  24. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I saw that Mitchell is an unemployed FA. It kind of makes you go hmm when a guy was given credit for turning around the Colts defense and now no team, not even the Colts, wants him. Hmm

25. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Don't over think it. He's solid not spectacular, light and quick, but hits like a truck when he gets there.
    Solid depth signing for the time being (year or two). Meaning

They're on the hunt
    Good move