1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers Draft Strategy Prediction

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Steel_Elvis, Apr 12, 2019.

1. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    no we are just going to remove one of his heart's chambers to get it back down to size.

2. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Keep thinking out of the box turtle, this is what type of thinking
    the Steelers FO should be doing. But they don't???? We have alot of current roster players
    that should be discussed with entice trading partners.

3. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Ok cool! For a minute there I thought we were gonna go from a OLB with no heart to one with too much heart....:roflmao:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I wouldn't give up all those picks for a one year wonder in QW :shrug:

5. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Ok:shrug:

6. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Sweat decided to not attend the draft, he will probably still go in the first round.

7. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Doesn't Bama play a 4/3 defense?

8. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Nowadays I think the 3-4 vs 4-3 criteria is blurred. Sometimes only Heyward and Tuitt are on the field in regards to DL. (or some combo of Heyward and ?). They are still taking on blockers, shedding etc irrelevent to what gap they are in. DE vs OLB may be a different story but for DL i don't think it is a deciding factor when compared to body type and technique.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Didn't most people say the same thing about Donald? That he wasn't a fit? Im pretty sure we could find room for Donald along our DL. He has that kind of potential. If you doubt his ability I recommend reading the scouting reports and watch the film. I know it's never gonna happen. It's just more of a what if situation. Just because it isn't gonna happen doesn't mean I'm gonna dismiss his ability to be a force on our DL. I'm sure there were plenty of people saying we gave up too much for Troy. No pick is guaranteed. It's just thinking outside the box. Sitting tight and playing it safe hasn't exactly been a triumphant strategy in the last 10 years either. JMO

10. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    We play a 3-3-5 more than anything. The lines are definitely blurred. From what I've seen on film from QW is that he is almost impossible and a nightmare at the least to block one on one. AD had the same type of film.

11. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Heyward played 80% of the snaps. Tuitt played 70%. Hargrave just under 50%. After that there is a huge drop off in snaps and performance. It's easy to argue Heyward and Tuitt may be playing more snaps than they should be and it often reflects that at the end of games. When Tuitt is playing well it transforms our whole D. The problem is Tuitt has been way too inconsistent. A rotation wouod suit the whole DL well. Not to mention Hargrave is in his final year and we don't know what it's gonna cost to bring him back. The most proven way of slowing QBs down is pressure up the middle and in their face. QW provides that in spades.
    He would give us insurance all along the DL in the case of injury or contract situations. We would have him under control for 5 years,right around the time Heyward and Tuitt are washed up. Games are still won in the trenches.

12. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Even with all the hype of the supposed skill players, I am a firm believer the game is still won and lost at the line of scrimmage. If you added Quinnen Williams to our d-line our OLBs would see more 1 on 1s, the run D would improve and our ILBs would be more free imo. Just a total upgrade. This is why I keep pushing for a DT. Hargrave is already good but a fresh Hargrave in a rotation is better. It wasn't too long ago, Heyward and Tuitt were logging crazy high snap counts. Tuitt has had some injuries. It's just time to add some talent there.
    It doesn't have to be a trade up scenario but Daylon Mack or Isaiah Buggs in the 3rd or 4th would fit.
    I did a 1st round mock and I wouldn't put it out of the realm that Christian Wilkins is available.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I was typing pretty much the same thing when you posted...

• Like Like x 1
  14. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011

Funny I just watched this and I said many of the same things as this guy breaking him down. My assessment comes from just watching him play live. Its even more impressive coming from someone who knows what he's talking about;)

15. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I had to stop watching because I'm having delusions of grandeur. Talk about the re-birth of the Steel Curtain with that d-line.

See Mack Wilson miss that tackle....just sayin :lolol:

• Like Like x 1
  16. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I think we find a corner. hooks is going on year 3, he made the 53 as a rookie after Tuitt went down and has been PS since. I thought it was close with he and Walton after that but they went with the draft pick. I liked sayles last year and now they brought him back from the AAF. He was good at Ohio u, and I'd like to see this kid get a shot. Mccullers has to go. I don't know a lot about Craig and sheehy. Sheesh played at Wisconsin and they have had good defenses there for years. I don't think anything is off the table this year. We do need some youth added.:cool:

17. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Moving from 20 to 3 would cost a lot more than swapping 1st rounders and adding a 2nd and 3rd. Add in our 2020 1st, and a 2020 or 2021 2nd, and maybe we're in the ballpark of what it would take.

18. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Sounds likely that's what it would take. The conversation was hypothetical. We couldn't use Williams anyway :rolleyes::smiley1:

19. Mcgee

Mcgee Active Member

Oct 2, 2016
    Now to me this would make more sense because Josh Allen is a future stud and maybe the best defensive player in this entire draft. we don't need ten picks. Not all of them could possibly make our team. Josh Allan would make us a dangerous defense right away!

20. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I’d love to have Williams. He’s a dominating interior defender. However, when a trade starts to involve future first round picks IMO it needs to be for a franchise QB only.

21. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Hey somebody gets it. I only proposed this hypothetical scenario to see how guys would feel about it. The idea and the logistics of the trade came from a article at BTSC. Not me. I'm not saying that's all it would take. Im saying what if it's all it would take? IMO it might be worth 2 lottery tickets to move up and have the chance of drafting one of the top 2-3 defensive players in the draft. You know for a team that needs defensive playmakers. I'm sure SteelElvis is right and based on what he thinks it would take,I wouldn't do it either. For the scenario I laid out though,it's not nearly as preposterous as people are making it out to be.

22. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    My thoughts exactly.

23. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    If the football Gods are looking down on us this weekend.

Clellin Ferrell #20 Edge
    Julian Love #52 CB
    Amani Hooker #83 Safety
    Snell #122 RB
    Davis Sills #141 WR
    Aliza Mack #175 TE

If we could get these players in the draft I would be happy. Draft is a crap shoot
    we still have lots of work to do. I have really know idea what the Steelers are going to do.
    I hope they can improve our team.

24. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    you forgot pick #66 in there. david long jr.? :cool:

25. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I don't try to speculate beyond the 1st round because who knows. I ultimately would be surprised if the Steelers did not trade up with having 10 picks.

Colbert has stated he did not do enough last year to solidify ILB. With 10 picks with a number of players already in positions, I think it's almost guaranteed they are moving up.

I do not see a safety drafted until the 3rd round and beyond.

• Disagree Disagree x 1