1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Time to get back to the best player available in draft

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Mcgee, Apr 5, 2019.

1. Mcgee

Mcgee Active Member

Oct 2, 2016
    I was lucky enough to be around for some of the Steelers greatest drafts of all time in the 70's. What worked then in my opinion would still work now and that is to choose the best player available regardless of position. If there is a player that you absolutely love when you have ten picks, you can use some of them to go up and get him. Like Troy and Holmes. Otherwise, let the draft come to you and pick the best player on your board that is there when you pick. Teams that reach for a player at a certain position never seem to win in my opinion. Good players win football games. NE does it every year and works their team around their strengths. We should do the same.

2. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Bill Bellicheck is also their coach, quite a difference. I here you though, We have reached
    considerably possibly the past 4 drafts especially at the first round selection, other than Shazier
    we don't have too much to show.

3. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Lately it feels like we have been taking best athlete available instead of best player.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Belichick is also the GM, that makes a big difference when it comes down to decision making:

https://patriotswire.usatoday.com/2...cond-most-respected-gm-in-poll-of-nfl-agents/

5. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

I have absolutely no proof, but believe wholeheartedly the last several reaches have AR2’s hands on them. Makes no sense that Colbert suddenly change what has worked for him for so long.

6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I think it's MTs hands on them. We have to remember we have also had a huge turnover in old long time scouts in the last 3-10 year period. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    1st rd picks dating back to 2010:

Pouncey - Hit
    Heyward - Hit
    Decastro - Hit
    Jones - Miss
    Shazier - Hit
    Dupree - Miss
    Burns - Miss
    Watt - Hit
    Edmunds - Incomplete

Dupree and Burns hurt, back to back years of poor picks. I suppose both could rebound this year still but not holding my breath. Other than them and Jones though, pretty good track record for first rd picks. If Edmunds pans out, it's very good.

8. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    That 3 out of 4 year stretch hurt, then add shaziers injury and we are out in a 4 year stretch. That's tough to get back while the rest age. We have to have a hit. The free agent pick ups have not been stellar lately either and that just adds to the draft position problems. This year s pick, edmunds and watt need to keep producing and this year's free agents should help. We can probably overcome the bad stretch. I think they will.:cool:

9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Thats true, worse than just looking at the back to back misses. Very important pick this year. Assuming Edmunds pans out and I think he will, can make it 3 good picks in a row.

10. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I think Edmunds is going to be fine. This draft is loaded with talent so I don't think we can miss this year. We easily could add a lot of future starters out of this draft.:cool:

11. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I concur. We need an impact player in first round REALLY bad this year.
    Can't miss like the Steelers have the last 4 to 5 years and expect to compete
    at hi level. Let's hope our scouts are burning the midnight oil. Look how SD has transformed
    their team with excellent selections the past 4years.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
  12. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

Colbert is the gm and has say over Tomlin. There is one person that has say over Colbert and that is AR2.