1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Shazier!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Apr 7, 2019.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Wow! I know most of you have your doubts about him returning but I still think he is going too. Be honest, how many of you would have ever saw him doing even this again???

• Like Like x 8
  2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    I did not have any doubt personally. That being said though, it is incredible how far he has come! I still believe he will play football again!

:herewego:

3. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I still don't expect him to play again but that doesn't lessen my admiration for him and what he as done.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Seeing the majority of healthy people his age can't do what he just did, pretty impressive.

If he ever steps on the field again in a uniform it's going to be loud in that stadium

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    It would definitely be awesome to see him suit up again!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  6. tyler christopher

tyler christopher Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2016
    I thought it was impossible till I saw that.... Imagine him running out on field to renegade...........

• Like Like x 2
  7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    My biggest concern is his stability still seems bad. You can see the spotter making sure he doesn't fall off to the side. I would have hoped that was more improved by now in comparison to his other gains.

Still, he continues to defy odds. That is amazing what he did in that clip.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I have doubts he can ever play again, but I've always said that if he can, I want him to. He's no more at risk of injury than any other player

9. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    I'm really happy for him!!!!

That being said I'm 57 and can do what he just did....... I'm no where near an elite athlete and neither is Shazier.... He still needs a stabilizing partner and is jumping only 2.5 feet max.

I believe he has played his last NFL game.

Cajun

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I love seeing the guy make progress, but he still looks like he's miles away from ever playing again. Even if he somehow makes it, I can't imagine he would be an impact player again.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    Those are my feelings too. I can't imagine he'll ever have that elite burst again. Even if he's just milliseconds slower, that's what makes the difference between an NFL player and Joe Blow from the street. Can he regain his ability to run and jump? Yes. Can he do it at an elite NFL level? I just don't see it.

But if I'm wrong, I hope he comes back. I have zero worry about him hurting himself again. If his body can't take the abuse of the game, doctors wouldn't sign off on him playing

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    If he ever does play again it will be the comeback stories of comeback stories. It will never be topped.

Personally if I were him I would never lace them up again. But, I'm in no position to tell some one how to live their life.

• Like Like x 1
  13. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    way to go shaz. long road to travel but he's getting there. i don't want to see him actually play again. way too risky. get your life healthy and you can help in other ways. just seeing him run on the field with the team as a coach would be awesome. :cool:

14. Da_Cranberry

Da_Cranberry Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2018
    Not me, I still can’t believe it. I just want the dude to have a good life. This is one time I hope I’m wrong and he wears the black and gold again for a game.

15. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    If nothing else I am greatly relieved that Shazier is going to be able to have a good life. When the accident happened I was seriously worried that he'd die or always be paralyzed.

16. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I hope that he takes the field for the home opener next season, runs out of the tunnel, lines up for the first snap and then after the play walks to the sideline takes off his helmet and says that's enough, I'm ending on my terms.

• Like Like x 2
  17. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I think he suits up again if nothing more than a symbolic gesture. And it will be glorious.

I won't doubt him but to think he could regain his former elite playing style would truly be miraculous.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    Regardless of whether or not he plays again, it's awesome to see him doing so well with his recovery.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I don't know if he will ever play again and really don't care to keep seeing his progress is enough satisfaction for me. Would I like to see him play again heck yeah but what he has gone through I am so happy to see this result.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  20. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    He has made great strides to walk again. To think he will suit up and play this violent sport again is premature. I wish him the best and it's good to see the Steelers from the top down support him and keep him a Steeler and help in his recovery.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    I never want to see him line up for another NFL snap ever. He was great but he will never walk again if one thing goes wrong

22. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Risky yes but no more then any other player on the field. It was a freak accident that could have happened to anyone. I dont think him being injured one time makes him anymore vulnerable but I am not a doctor and have never played one on TV either :)

23. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    That's not based on science or medicine whatsoever. He's no more at risk of paralysis than any other player. Plenty of doctors have spoken to that topic.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Shazier is truly a special human being. How many people could be so positive and dedicated to rehabilitation? I once feared he'd never walk again and now I think returning to football isn't out of the question.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    This video did my heart good the other day. Especially after the former Steeler idiot had his little tantrum.

I've been trying to figure out how to put this into words without sounding either insensitive or doubting. Not sure I can. But this comes from a place of absolute respect, and admiration for Ryan.

I REALLY want to see him play again. Even if it's only in spot duty, and knowing full well he probably won't ever become the player he once was. It's what he wants. So I want it for him too. Regaining strength as he has is remarkable. What worries me is he seems to still lack control, coordination and/or balance. Someone smarter than I can say if that is something you can work yourself into regaining. I worry that it's neurological, and may never return fully. He is working so hard. I hope it does.

But even if it doesn't. Even if he never takes the field as a player again. He is still an inspiration to all of us, and I don't think Steeler Nation could love him more. Whatever the obstacles that lie in his way, and even if he never plays again, I want this man to remain part of the team forever. Who knows? Maybe in 10-15 years, he'll be our Head Coach.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1