1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Steelers need to draft one of these players

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by steelersrule6, Apr 5, 2019.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Darnell Savage
    Chauncey Gardner-Johnson
    Juan Thornhill
    Amani Hooker
    Nasir Adderley
    These are safeties that can make plays, which the Steelers defense lacks :facepalm:. They can get these guys in the second or third round. Thornhill would be my first choice, I would take him at pick #52.

2. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I have Gerard Holiman ptsd when it comes to Savage. I like the way he plays the position, but not sure if all that production will transfer to the NFL.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Really? I don’t think there’s a shred of similarity. Holliman couldn’t, or wouldn’t, tackle. He was so non-physical it didn’t matter that he had ball skills. Savage has NFL physicality. He’ll miss a tackle here or there, but pretty much all college safeties come into the NFL needing to improve their form tackling.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I think my preference would be

Savage
    Adderley
    Hooker
    Gardner Johnson
    Thornhill

but its very close between them as I think all will be good players.

5. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I agree. I wouldn't be disappointed in any of them.

However, my order would be:
    Gardner Johnson
    Thornhill
    Adderly
    Savage
    Hooker

6. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    I am still waiting on a Pre Draft Visit for Amani Hooker. We have met Nasir and Darnell. Kevin Colbert skipped Florida's Pro Day so that is not a good indicator for CGJ. Thornhill I have not heard much from either.

Among the ones I want now, Savage is at the top; Hooker being the contingency option.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    That's not even a close comparison, Holliman was slow, he also wasn't a projected high draft pick.

8. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I like Thornhill because he's a good athlete, ran a 4.4 forty and 40 inch vertical. Colbert said the defense needs playmakers, Thornhill had 6 ints last season.

9. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Savage lacks size.

10. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    He's big enough for the position, 5'11 198 lbs :shrug:. Polamalu was 5'10 200 lbs

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
  11. EnglishSteeler

EnglishSteeler Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2019
    As per my draft selection for the 49ers i like Taylor Rapp. The tape I've seen of him he looks aggressive and has good awareness. His 40 time was a worry admittedly

12. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

As I have stated before, I would not worry about Taylor Rapp's 40 time. Keep in mind he was still nursing his groin injury during his Pro Day. He is easily a 4.5 Strong Safety.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. steelcityclash

steelcityclash Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2018
    For me (in this order):

CJG
    Adderly
    Savage
    Thompson
    Hooker
    Thornhill

14. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I like CGJ and Hooker a lot. I think both of those guys have legit end of 1st round talent. They’re a bit different, but are both versatile. I see CGJ as more of a deep safety who can well play in the box if needed, and Hooker as the opposite - an in the box safety who can play deep effectively if needed. I need to watch more of Savage, but I like what I’ve seen so far. I think I’ll find that Savage has that same talent and versatility based on what I’ve seen.

Thornhill was a frustrating evaluation for me. Put on his 2018 Miami game for a look at what drives me nuts about him. He was great in coverage, and had 2 interceptions (although both were pretty bad throws). He comes downhill like a misslile in run defense or on short passes, and shows willingness to be physical. However, his tackling technique is awful. He often blindly throws himself at the ballcarrier’s legs without trying to tackle head-up or wrap up. He often flat out whiffed, or tripped up the ballcarrier but still allowed an extra 3 yards because he didn’t try to wrap up. There were other times when he did wrap up and made great stops (some nice TFLs in TE run game late vs - I think - Indiana). so I know he CAN do it. He just DOESN’T do it way too often. Why? Can it be fixed? Those are questions that need to be answered. He has 1st round coverage talent and range, and borderline undraftable tackling inconsistency. That’s how I see him anyway.

Adderley I like a lot. I think he’s a great prospect as a coverage safety against WRs, maybe the best free safety propspect in this draft. I do think he is limited by strength and may have a tough time handling TEs. I also don’t see him being effective in the box. It’s probably a small quibble, especially with Gronk being retired (for now). I think he’s well worth a high draft pick, but he would need to be Davis’ replacement and not an in the box guy.

I wouldn’t rule out Rapp based on his 40 time. Like AQL notes, he’s working through and injury and may not be ready yet. On tape he’s pretty fast, and very instinctive. Mental processing is very important, and he has it.

15. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    A further note on Thornhill. I see that PFF only "credited" him with 8 missed tackles on the season in 2018. This is puzzling because I saw at least 4 or 5 in the Miami game alone, and more than 8 total in the 3 games that I watched. I generally like PFF, and their 2019 draft guide is a treasure trove of information, but that's very puzzling.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
  16. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I haven't heard about Rapp having a injury, maybe he's just slow :shrug:.

17. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    FS Adderly, why are we talking SS anyway. Isn't Edmunds the next Troy? LOL.

18. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

From the Seattle Times. Author is Mike Voreal:

"Taylor Rapp is almost certainly faster than Jake Browning.

But he (reportedly) didn’t show it on Monday.

After Browning ran the 40-yard dash in 4.74 seconds at the NFL Combine last month, Rapp — who is continuing to recover from a groin injury that kept him out of the Rose Bowl — registered a time between 4.74 and 4.77 seconds, according to tweets from NFL Network’s Daniel Jeremiah and NFL Draft analyst Rob Rang."

As I said, groin injury.

19. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Perhaps to you maybe.

20. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    40 time
    Savage 4.36
    Thornhill - 4.42
    CGJ - 4.48
    Hooker - 4.48
    Adderley - N/A

3 cone
    Hooker - 6.81
    CGJ - 7.03
    Savage - 7.03
    Thornhill - N/A
    Adderley - N/A

Vert
    Thornhill - 44
    Savage - 39.5
    Hooker - 37
    CGJ - 36
    Adderley - N/A

Broad
    Thornhill - 141
    Savage - 126
    Hooker - 123
    CGJ - 117
    Adderley - N/A

Just some side by side comparisons for their combine numbers. Adderley DNP due to injury. Thornhill had the better numbers overall and had the highest number of career INTs as shown below. I'm just not a fan when I watch the tape so that's why I have him ranked 5th.
    Savage put up the second best numbers I would say. Then Hooker and lastly CGJ. Not sure about Adderleys since the testing criteria wouldn't be the same. All the numbers are fairly close and they all offer something different.

INTs Career
    Thornhill - 13
    Adderley - 11
    CGJ - 9
    Savage - 8
    Hooker - 6

• Informative Informative x 1
  21. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I think I read Adderly ran a 4.54 at his profile day but tweaked his hammy during the run.

22. TGH

TGH Well-Known Member

May 8, 2018
    Dont want anyone but Savage, Im not going to be happy if it's not Savage.