1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Revisiting Olasunkanmi Adeniyi at OLB

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mcam, Apr 4, 2019.

1. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017

I understand this was against backups in the preseason, but even when looking at this guy's college tape he showed the same quickness and edge rush abilities. He's one heck of a tackler also.

Comparing him to Kieon Adams, the edge definitely goes to Adeniyi. Pun intended.

I have a real curiosity what he would show against starting NFL offensive lineman.

We could be surprised

2. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Hoping to see him get some snaps in the regular season. I'm also hoping they trade Dupree.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
  4. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Watt + Adeniyi > Watt + Bud

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I like Ola, but I will wait to see how camp and pre-season play out before I label him better than Bud. Ola has to be able to carry his momentum into season 2. Is he hungry? Did he spend the offseason working on his body? Is his mindset that he is coming into this camp to win a job? If the answers to those questions are yes, then there is no reason not to believe Ola will be a beast this year. We shall see.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I think that’s a bit strong, but I do think Watt + best of Chick/Adeniyi/Adams + $9 million cap space for other needs > Watt + Bud

• Like Like x 1
  7. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    That seriously might be one of the most logical things ever said on this board :drinks:

I say this because I've said the same thing :hehehe:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Pre season? Yes. Back ups? Yes. I don't care about that. What I care about is that he has technique,strength and tenacity. Three characteristics not necessarily associated with the guy ahead of him. I love his potential.

• Like Like x 2
  9. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    that's it there is potential. It has yet to be seen vs 1's. Not everyone is a James Harrison(sdot triggered).

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    What if anything gives us hope that Tomlin for once will choose the guy with the best ability to help the team rather than the 5th year vet? I'd like to think that Ola will be given a shot but I also believe that the Pirates will make a playoff run so I'm the eternal optimist .

• Like Like x 2
  11. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Well he definitely showed those attributes against the backups.

It's yet to be seen though it that matches up at the next level against the starters however.

Potential meets a starting roster job when he demonstrates it against the big dawgs. I'm surprised they didn't throw him out there on situational pass rush situations in the regular season. Hopefully we see different next year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Really you're surprised that Mike Tomlin and Keith Butler wouldn't use all the tools available to them to win games rather than going with guys they had confidence in but who might be less likely to make plays?

Sorry my jaded side is showing today.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Got to keep in mind that our OLBs do drop in coverage pretty frequently. That was not a strong suit for Ola.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I've been in defense of mostly Tomlin on here because a lot of what is said against him I don't think is entirely accurate, but I'm not in support of this one. They need to get him in some situational passing situations. He also was a beast on that one run-stop play. He loos like he's throwing around offensive lineman out there, but obviously he's just doing a great job of catching them off balance.

I have a feeling this kid is a lot better than he's currently been giving credit for.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. steelcityclash

steelcityclash Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2018
    I think I read that the OLB dropped about 20% last year which is significantly less than the year before.

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    That’s correct. A little over 250 combined coverage snaps for Dupree, Watt and Chickillo last year. It’s definitely third on the job description after rushing the passer and stopping the run, but it happens often enough that the capability to drop into coverage without being a liability is important.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    I don't know about you guys but if we had another Watt we would be pretty darn good on defense, given Edmunds keeps rising and nelson works out.

18. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Yeah, but that's if Heyward and Tuitt don't disappear, which they do on occasion.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. steelcityclash

Mar 25, 2018
    True, but I’d rather put the guy on the field that can check 2 of the 3 boxes - stopping the run and pressuring the QB consistently, as opposed to the guy that whiffs at all 3. Not sure if it’s Ola, but if he can set the edge consistently and shows that he is constant threat to make a sack, I’d roll with him. We can sub him out for 20% of the time.

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Is it bad to think Aaron smith/kiesel were better than tuitt/heyward?

Not really fair though because they had a big anchor lol

21. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    There are reasons why having a stand-up edge defender who can’t cover would cause problems. If you have a stand-up edge defender who is effective rushing the passer and stopping the run, but you sub him out when you expect him to drop into coverage, teams will key on that on tape and have the ability to anticipate our coverages. Also, the determination of who is rushing and who is dropping will often be made based on how the offense lines up, and would not be determined when you’re able to sub guys in and out. Teams will also be able to take advantage of a guy who is a known liability in coverage when he’s in the game. The list goes on. My point is that when your defense includes stand-up edge defenders instead of traditional 4-3 DEs, it’s very limiting if one of your guys is a liability in any aspect of the game. I’m not saying that Ola in particular is a liability in coverage. I don’t think there’s enough film on him dropping to say one way or the other. However, if he is, then it creates limits on what we can do, and creates opportunities for opponents to target his weaknesses, if he’s getting 80% of the snaps.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I'm not big on Ola, at his size he doesn't have the power Silverback did against the run game, and for him to succeed he would need those kind of attributes.

23. steelcityclash

Mar 25, 2018
    I get what you’re saying. However, The player your describing may not be on the team, and it’s not like Dupree is particularly good at performing any of those defensive responsibilities.

If Ola ends up showing that he’s more consistent and is more effective at stopping the run and blitzing the QB, why wouldn’t we put him on the field? Those are all big ifs, but I’d be fine with subbing him out with Dupree on coverage plays (20% of the time). I’m sure Dupree will play full series as well and he isnt always the OLB to drop in third down plays.

At this point, the sample size is small for Ola. Yes he might not ever be great at coverage, but if he shows that he’s great at setting the edge, why would we stop him from contributing and forcing offenses to account for having two olbs that can stop the run and blitz.

It’s basically adding a dimension to our D by subtracting Dupree’s opportunities where he’s often ineffective. At this point, I’ll never feel comfortable giving Bud another contract and It’s time to see what other players can do for this team.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1