1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Clelin Ferrell and Brian Burns

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by steelersrule6, Apr 2, 2019.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Assuming both Devin's are gone by #20, maybe the Steelers look to bolster the pass rush. Then you have Dupree's replacement already on the roster, Ferrell is a big guy who could lose some weight to play OLB. With the moves the Browns have made, the Steelers better bolster their defense, they also have to compete with New England and Kansas City in the AFC.

2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Brian Burns is a Top 15 lock. Not going to happen I am afraid. His concerns were already alleviated at the combine; his Pro Day doubly so and no less.

Clelin Ferrell is someone I would want to steer clear from. Unless Pittsburgh decides to allow the pass rushers to rush more and drop less, Ferrell would not be an ideal fit. As it stands anyway, he is a 4-3 Power Rush Defensive End.

To your point though, Bud Dupree is as good as gone next season; big season or otherwise. A good contingency plan is needed for certain. Someone like Clelin could assist but considering the team has brought in the likes of Ben Banogu from TCU, I would expect Pass Rusher to be addressed later in the draft; neither Devin being available at 20 being irrelevant.

3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Burns has been my guy but as you say he Will be a tough get. I'd love he and tj chasing down Mayfield and Jackson when they leave the pocket. Add a kid like long jr. With Barron and we may be on to something good. Long jr. Makes 26% of his tackles for loss. If burns makes it to 15 is have to think about making a move up. :cool:

4. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I disagree Burns could fall out of the top 15, three QB's could go in the top 15, that will push good players down.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I was listening to the Terrible Podcast, and they were talking up Ferrell as a option at #20. Also last season the Steelers had their rushers drop less than previous seasons.

6. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

You are correct regarding Quarterbacks. However, after Quarterback, historically and, even today, which position is the next best thing?! Add the fact he will be just 21 and Burns is everything a team would want for the present and future.

7. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    There also will be some OL going, also the other higher rated pass rushers will go before Burns.

8. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

... Except Burns cemented his top 15 draft status. For all me and you both know, teams like the Buccaneers or even the Lions have Burns as the highest rated Edge Rusher. In that same vein, Brian Burns can be so much more than just a edge rusher; one of two in the top 15. The other is Josh Allen.

9. TGH

TGH Well-Known Member

May 8, 2018
    I like Winovich.
    UDFA intriguing guy is Anree Saint Amout, GT.

10. steelcityclash

steelcityclash Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2018
    Burns would be outstanding at 20. If he dropped to 15, I would look to trade up. No doubt! He is at an acceptable weight now at 249 and im assuming that he has more functional strength than he did playing in college at 233. At 15-20 lbs heavier, he still ran a 4.52. He has outstanding physical qualities like his ability to bend and his tape shows that he can get to the QB even as a lightweight. What’s not to like? For all those reasons, I doubt he’ll drop, but if the 1st round of the draft is a “game of chance”...I’m putting my chips in on him as an impact player that is just scratching the surface of his potential.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
  11. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Boy, I could be far off but I don't see a OLB until rd 3 or later. Especially paying
    Dupree that kind of money. I think we go with what is currently on roster/practice squad.
    Just for the record, I do not care for Dupree. He has had his chances.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    This is spot on, depending what happens with the QB's will change this draft out look drastically. I know Bunrs has lit it up but I don't feel he is a sure bet to be a top 15 pick. You have the 3 QB's then you have Bosa, Allen, Williams, Taylor, White and Oliver as guys I keep reading as top 15 guys. Then add into that all the talk on Bush and guys like OT's Taylor and Williams and you are close to 15. Also Sweat I feel will go ahead of Burns, one other thing we all know NE needs a TE how far do they trade up for one?

I feel if 3 QB's got before 20 there is a good shot at Burns but if not I have a feeling he could go a few spots in front of us. Pass rushers are a hot item in the draft so guys like Sweat, Burns and Gary are hard to figure out where their draft spot is.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I think you’re correct on what we will do. Our front office is probably looking for an edge guy that they can groom, not a rookie contributor.

14. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Yeah I agree and a name that I have talked a lot about that fits that is Justin Hollins. I just feel at this point you can't count out OLB in the first round especially if they start falling to us.

15. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I think we could use dupree and burns. Both can run as can tj. Barron, burns, dupree and to with two down linemen and 5 dbs would make a nice defense against Jackson and mayfield. We could bring pressure from several areas and Chase ability. :cool:

16. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I was listening to Ross Tucker on NFL radio this morning on my ride in and he had on Greg Cossel(sp) and they were talking about these 2 along with Sweat and polite. It was some good stuff I was trying to find the link of his podcast but it isn't up yet. When I find it I will post unless someone does but it had a lot of what everyone here is talking about.

17. steelcityclash

Mar 25, 2018
    As an edge prospect, I think Ferrell is a sneaky pick. He has experience playing against top competition and has dominated. He’s strong and aggressive at rushing the QB. He’s too small for DE and has little experience dropping back, but we aren’t a typical 3-4 anymore. We run a 3-3-5 a lot, which is a blitz heavy scheme. As evidence of last year, olbs are asked to drop less (20%) and blitz more. The key to his success is to play to his strengths.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I agree with your overall post but Butler playing guys to their strengths is not something he does very well. His matchups are mind numbing at times.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    What is this people saying 3-4 Burns could convert to ILB???

20. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  21. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I haven't heard that, he's too good of a pass rusher to play ILB.

22. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I have heard that talk. Lance zerlien talked about it on nfl.com on his profile page.use him as a hybrid lb he said.:cool:

23. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I read Zierlien’s quote to mean use him as a 3-4 OLB who can rush or drop into coverage (instead of drafting him to be a 4-3 end), not to mean using him inside/outside.

If Lance really meant use him inside/outside, I disagree with him. I personally think it would be a waste to use him inside. He has the tools to excel on the edge in a 3-4. I would let him focus on learning and excelling at that position, and not try to have him learn multiple positions.

24. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    You may be right elvis. I agree with you about wasting him inside when he could be so good off the edge. I do like the possibilities of using he, dupree and tj and loading up one side or the other keeping offenses guessing where to bring help, which would also maximize Barron in the short area. Add the speed of long jr. and some exotic blitzes could be utilized. I'd love to see a good mad scientist defensive coach have these tools to use. It could limit offenses a great deal. It could also confuse and limit a couple of young qbs like jackson and mayfield. I'd love it.

Can you imagine two down linemen, tj, dupree and burns bouncing from side to side, haden, nelson, davis, edmunds, savage on the backend and Barron and long jr. covering the interior side to side. :cool:

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
  25. steelcityclash

Mar 25, 2018