1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Should the Detroit Lions trade for Bud Dupree?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by LoneGranger, Mar 27, 2019.

1. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    So Watt doesn't have the same responsibilities as DUD? Watt had 68 tackles. You can keep making excuses but it won't change what we already know.

• Like Like x 1
  2. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Great! He's better than a 6th round pick making less money in 2 years than DUD in 1. 9.2 compared to 8.1 for 2 years. Do yourself a favor and don't get down and dirty in the tape. Trust me you won't like what you find....

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    I remember a few years ago when some fans wanted to draft a NT with an early draft pick, because they felt McLendon was a bad NT. As evidence, they pointed to a stat where opposing RBs had a relatively high number of yards per carry when SM was the tackler. All sorts of snide comments about him being pushed back from the line of scrimmage and so forth. Then a writer poured over the tape. In most cases, the run play was away from SM, and he hustled after the play and was still able to catch the RB from behind. Because of his athleticism in chasing after the RB, he was "credited" for allowing the RB getting positive yards.

The point is, quoting a stat out of context could mean a lot of things. A DB might have a high number of tackles due to hustle in going after the ball, or it might be that opposing QBs are deliberately targeting that player. A low number of tackles: QBs stay away from him, or is he a poor tackler? No way of telling from just a single number.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Agree. Except in this case Duprees tape matches his numbers....unimpressive

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I made comments about McLendon getting pushed backwards. They weren’t snide, they were accurate. I watched him a lot. He got pushed back a lot. I have watched Dupree a lot. He doesn’t make the plays he should.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Let us not forget that Butler the great made the call for Alvin to switch sides... Well he ain't gettin to the QB from that side, lets switch em up and see if he can get to the pesky QB from the other side.

Keith Butlers finest hour

215px-The_Wizard_of_Oz_Ray_Bolger_1939.jpg

And Tomlin signed off. Or it could have been his decision. We really don't know.

7. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Reminds me of the Scooby Doo plot how at the end they rip the mask off the villain. Except in this case it always DUD...

8. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    DUD is horrid vs the run and if you don't believe me go back and watch the games....any game. Watch when a rb runs off tackle on DUD's side so many people want to blame poor ILB play but that isn't it. Watch the games and you will see DUD swing out wide EVERY SINGLE TIME leaving the inside wide open and allowing the pulling guard free shots on the ILB. This right here the average person does not see and wants to blame everyone else but who is really to blame.....DUD! Now before you say anything I will admit we do have poor ILB play, I am not arguing that at all. However I will go back and forth on DUD being good vs the run. JMO

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Is there a lot of running plays off tackle to the blindside? I'm seriously asking because besides cutback runs where team sold the run to the right I can't remember a lot of designed runs to the left or that pulling guard from right to left.

10. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    There's no credibility to this rumor :facepalm:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    They signed Bud because they don't know if they have a replacement for him yet. The price is high but it is what it is.

His bull rush is too wide and the sacks he does get are cleaning up after Watt or Tuitt has moved the QB to his side.

When the ball is run to his side he engages the tackle as if that's his job, seen it so many times not sure if its a poor scheme or his inability to get off a block.

If trade happens we will be looking at a FA or bundling draft picks to move up in rd two or three. We have enough holes in the defense already this is not the year to create another.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
  13. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    That is what I am seeing so there must be, run plays at Dud and he is taking the tour of the stadium on the outside. :smiley1:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  14. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    So you agree he stinks against the run.

15. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    This^^^^^!!! The assumption is probably correct. I didn't look at it like that but he is right, Bud is on the team because there isn't any depth. They need an ILB and an OLB not to mention a good DB, leaving Bud go creates a bigger problem forcing a reach in the early rounds again. Bud is serviceable but far from 1st round talent and unless he lights it up this season it will be his last unless he stays for vet minimum.

16. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Adeniyi showed some promise in preseason of '18. Maybe he can earn starter at ROLB.

17. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    That’s if he actually gets a chance which I have a hard time envisioning.

18. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Would like to see Watt and Adeneyi on the field at the same time. With the Steelers luck as of late, a team like the Ravens will pick up Adeneyi after being cut from Steelers and he ends up wreaking havoc on the Steelers offense. :facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    He's not gonna get cut. I just don't know if he will be given a fair shot at the position with the money invested there.

20. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Basically buried on the depth chart unless there are injuries.

21. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Probably 4th in line and we only played 3 last year so maybe

22. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    It would be nice if they had four that were interchangeable enough that they could flip sides to be hard to defend, at this point I'll take two guys with Watt being one of them.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. Mcgee

Mcgee Active Member

Oct 2, 2016
    I'll take a six pack of bud for Bud and it doesn't even have to be cold!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  24. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Steelers defense is league leading when they have Hof lbs. Jarvis & Bud picks have put greatness on hold. Colbert needs to find our next Hof lb in this draft. I don't care which round he finds him in.

25. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    There was middle ground between letting Bud go and paying Bud 9+mil for this coming season.