1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Has Tomlin been muzzled or self-muting

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by LoneGranger, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    And there lies the rub, Tomlin has been sticking his head into Butlers side of the ball. Been reported on several times.

So who's to blame? I saw several film breakdowns that teams took advantage of very poor schemes.

2. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Maybe we are talking semantics. I wasn't talking about formations, by game plan I meant the plan that is developed during the week as to how they are going to defend the other team. Are they going to play a lot of zone or man, blitz or cover, etc. I think this started with a discussion about who is making the D look bad? Is it players or coaching and I'm sure it's a lot of both but good coaching can overcome weaknesses in talent, good talent can't overcome bad coaching.

And as far as your comment about accountability, that should end any discussion about Tomlin.

3. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I guess we could start breaking down clips to show how this is not accurate. It'll be the next year before that comes to fruition though. There have been games called worse than others. The Chargers game was not called well with too many mismatches of Keenan Allen on a LB. We've covered that on here before. Whatever the Chargers were doing, the Steelers were not keeping up.

The double calls on defense reported is on Tomlin. Things got progressively better as the season went along. That tells me the communication issues have improved.

We'll find out next year. It will be the ultimate litmus test to see how things have progressed.

4. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    He's on record stating your last statement.

Formations are part of the game plan not the whole thing. If I had the time, it'd be fun to show how the Steelers primary issue last year was EXECUTION of the game plan.

WAY too many penalties, dropped balls, assignments missed, kicks missed, etc.. yes there were bad calls on Tomlin's part and games he was outcoached, etc.

It says a lot for a coach though when he goes 9-6-1 and people want his head on a stake. They'd be dreaming for that type of success in Cleveland.

5. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I realize the context may be about a particular aspect but that statement in any reference to the Steelers of 2108 takes away your credibility as the mighty defender of Mike Tomlin.

6. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Yes the defense did get progressively better. That's not a matter of opinion but fact. I'll let you look up those facts for yourself.

As for being a "mighty defender" of Mike Tomlin, I'm not.

I get a laugh out of how IMPULSIVE people are that respond out of emotion as opposed to actually looking at the facts.

As if firing everyone is the solution for success. lmao

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    If you had time, Tomlin would be president of the US and leader of the free world!:smiley1:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    No, that's Trump's job. << but not to discuss politics

9. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/03/28/joe-haden-defends-mike-tomlin/

Hey imagine that a player that has experienced TRUE poor coaching supporting Tomlin

"“He’s one of the best coaches I’ve ever played for. You can only ask for honesty. He keeps it real with you. He lets you know exactly where you stand. He lets you know exactly how he feels about you, if you’re productive, if you’re not. He treats everyone fairly, but I’m going to say not everybody gets treated the same.”"

10. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I've seen the clips, its accurate. Like the SD game. Didn't say every game is poorly schemed but there are definitely some.

It's not just the double defensive calls. Tomlin took over some things on the defensive side leading up to the game day. This started 2 seasons ago and the defense started well that year and got progressively worse.

It's hard to say where the fault lies since 2 people are involved. I personally think they both should have been let go.

11. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    You mean the Steelers who gave up leads in the forth quarter of numerous games in the last 6 weeks? Those Steelers? I hope to hell they don't get any better!

12. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    That's cool. Everyone has a different opinion.

Personally with coming off an off year with a 9-6-1 season with all sorts of drama issues with diva players, and with Ben at his stage of his career, I think it'd be a huge mistake to release Tomlin this year.

If things show a lack of resolve and recurrent theme, than I do support firing Tomlin post season.

As with Butler and along with the special teams coach, I also believe they could have been shown the door. I'm willing to give Butler another year with younger, better talent to work with however as I think he was limited by the skill players he had on defense.

I think if Tomlin was fired, Ben would have also retired sending this franchise on a reset level of rebuilding IMO. I don't think Tomlin is as bad as he's being publicly advertised.

13. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Haden came from the Browns, Tomlin is the first real HC he's ever seen but that isn't saying much. And look at the inconsistency in Joe's statement. "He treats everyone fairly, but I’m going to say not everybody gets treated the same"

14. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/pit/2018.htm

There you go. I'll help you in your research venture to find out the facts.

Also let's have fun and count in the costly penalties including missed calls and pass interference penalties.

15. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    And what is wrong with treating a veteran player like Ben Roethlisberger with a Superbowl ring different than a 2nd year Jaylen Samuels?

Sorry some people live in a tree.

Also I think it's hilarious you discount the fact that this guy is speaking from experience of working with other head coaches.

So it's hard to take your position seriously.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
  16. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    You're blowing your own argument! Costly penalties and undisciplined play in general have become a hallmark for Mike Tomlin!

17. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    No grabbing a player because you got beat in coverage is not Mike Tomlin's fault

Try again.

18. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    And let's add costly poor calls and no calls.

Which Tomlin referred to, and was RIGHT and oddly fined by the NFL.

It was a bad year for poor calls.

NOT Tomlin's fault,

but the simple can't see that.

19. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    OK, it's been fun showing once again how you're wrong,

But I need to get something done today.

So I will continue to demonstrate your flawed position at another time lol

20. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
  21. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Do you get up in the morning and google "Excuses for Mike Tomlin"?

22. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Same old Tomlin? For those of you who think that all the hype about Tomlin is just media hype, keep in mind the media jumps on people when they are down and they don't let go, that kind of ferocity used to reserved for teams like the Browns and the Jets, it's being focused on Tomlin and the Steelers right now for good reason.
    https://www.pennlive.com/sports/201...e-the-old-one-a-problem-for-the-steelers.html

But! BUT! Maybe Tomlin is finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel and realizing it's a ****ing train! Late in the sound file it is discussed how the Steelers have hired a replay assistant. Woooo Hooooo change is good!

23. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    My hope is that with AB and Bell gone, so will the drama.

My concern is whether Tomlin is the coach to bring the rest of the locker room together. I'm sure there are players in there whom liked AB a lot and even sided with him. Can Tomlin, after all this time of coaching a certain way now be who he needs to be to keep order? I have my doubts.

I believe he already got off too a bad start by stating they "need volunteers not hostages". Not the message I would have sent to the remaining players. Hope that was just coach speak and is selling a better, tougher message behind closed doors.

24. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    There is absolutely no inconsistency in that statement.

Leaders understand the difference.

25. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    And Jimmy Johnson treated his stars differently, he cut a LB for falling asleep in a meeting, he wouldn't do that to Emmitt, Aikman, or Irvin :shrug:.