1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Has Tomlin been muzzled or self-muting

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by LoneGranger, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Smitch89

Smitch89 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    I can't believe some ppl still support Tomlin lol

2. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
  3. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I agree with pretty much everything you said. The idea that the standard for the Steelers is advancing through the playoffs and not making it helps support the point I've been making.

The grass is not always greener on the other side, and one thing I do know is that Tomlin has not been fairly assessed in a lot of areas such as game planning. People that look over the year will see that execution of the gameplan, or lackthereof, was the primary reason for failure. Many games lost were one possession with a couple lost off the foot of the worst kicker in the NFL last year.

So in short the players did not do him any favors.

It's really easy to simply look at the win loss column for BOTH success and failure of a team, BUT an overall projection toward the positive is a good thing.

Which is a concept that alludes the many.

Also Tomlin, just like Ben, has become an element of popular media bashing. AND when that happens, you know that they are simply wrong. Because they have integrity the size or a pea that sells drama instead of the actual facts.

Pretty funny how many blindly believe it though. Oh well not everyone is capable of critical thinking.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Ultimately the results will speak for themselves.

I'm critical of Tomlin and Rooney how the Antonio Brown situation got out of hand specifically. you can't give candy to a temper tandrum of a 3rd grader.. which is what he turned out to be..

With that said, I believe I understand why they did it compromising years previous of not catering to divas. I believe they believed doing so would keep up with a changing NFL focusing on skills position and the pass.

I think they learned their lesson, and we will find out next year.

While I do believe Tomlin has been unfairly assessed in some ways, I do not blindly condone everything he has done like a drone.

But I do not support firing him at this junction. If he has a terrible year next year with the same problems continuing, than it's time to rethink change.

I really do not believe the AB mess with be a recurrent theme however. I think culture change is a primary focus on the offseason seeing the personnel changes thus far this offseason.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I thought I heard late last year when Tomlin lost his umpteenth challenge in a row that he had refused any help in that area, I could be wrong.

Just so you know, it's not a favorite target and it's not that I hate these two and would run them down in the street if I had the chance. It's just that there are some who choose to address the Steelers with emotion and I am simply looking at it from a business perspective. They have both had an inordinate number of questionable trends of late and that is undeniable. I don't even want Tomlin fired when it comes right down to it because of how hard it is to recover from that kind of shake-up. I just wish that between Rooney, Colbert, and Tomlin, they would find a way to put a stop to the non-sense. And getting rid of LB and AB is NOT the only answer.

6. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    As far as game plan, it's totally subjective. You and I don't know what the game plan is, we can only watch what happens on the field. You are basing your subjectivity on the mistakes on the field by the players and I can't argue that but there is a side you may be missing. We were in tight positions against teams we should have throttled, and we blew leads late in games, you could point to each of these and say a play here or there could have changed it but people could also contend that we shouldn't have been a position for a play here or there to matter.

7. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    You Re correct in his refusing help with challenges. He made some poor response that he just goes with his gut.

8. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Humans make mistakes. Show me a coach that never made bad or questionable decisions. Often times any number of factors go into decisions that coaches make. Fans have the benefit of hindsight. Tomlin made plenty of questionable or bad decisions over the years that paid off. He made some decisions that didn't pay off. He made enough good decisions to help the organization win a lot of games and keep his job.

Attempting to pass off the bad/questionable decisions as an indication of Tomlin's coaching acumen is a narrow view that shows an inability to judge reasonably and fairly. It's certainly a good thing that the individuals that run the organization have the ability to be reasonable and judge fairly.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  9. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    I can't believe that people continue to make a big deal about challenges. I guess people like grasping for threads on the ground.

10. BlueSteel

BlueSteel Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2016
  11. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Did you read the post I was responding to before you twisted my comment?
    If a coach is praised for his good decisions then he can be criticized for his bad decisions. Pretty simple.

12. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    He's shopping for a new place in vegas, him and Gruden will work together again

13. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    That's interesting. My mom and dad are from Marienville, good portion of both sides of the family still live in the area. My grandpa was a game warden in ANF. I was born down the road in Clarion .

14. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    That is interesting, I was born in Clarion as well.

Odds are, dr. Ketner might have delivered us both.

15. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Nope Dr. John Brooks or so mom says. I believe it was a father and son practice if I remember the details correctly.

16. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    You seem to really be missing something here.

17. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    :cool: there may be a sizable age difference? I was born in the old Clarion Hospital:rolleyes:

18. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    Care to share with me what I am missing? I can tell you the last time a turnover or player mistake cost the team a game. Can you tell me the last time Tomlin loss a challenge that cost the team a game? Refs bad calls or no calls probably have more impact on the games than coaches that loss challenges.

Is there any correlation between coaching challenges and winning games in the NFL?

19. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    You really are missing it.

20. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    Then why don't you enlighten me a bit here??

21. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    He doesn't enlightened, he just plays games while trying to be cute.

22. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    If I have to start teaching you basic football it will take forever. I’m not going to live that long.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  23. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    That's basically womp wa womp wa womp womp BS. I don't believe that losing challenges has that big of an impact on the out come of games.

It's just an attempt at making a bigger deal out of a factor when there is no need.

24. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    He's 32-39 overall on challenges and hasn't won a single challenge in 2 years and you don't think that has a negative impact on the game? It doesn't have to be the catalyst for the cause of losing a game, its awful and needs to be improved. Do you ever hold coaches accountable for anything? Or just put all blame on players?

Should not a coach inspire to be better in all areas of coaching? Tomlin is having Terry Austin help him this year so apparently he agrees it's a problem.

https://thebiglead.com/2019/03/26/s...ssistant-to-help-mike-tomlin-with-challenges/

25. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Game plan is subjective? No anyone can see what formations and personnel with basic plays are put up against opposing offensive schemes. It's easy to see an Artie Burns meltdown in coverage or a Ju Ju Smith Schuster fumble. Not part of the game plan we can all rest assured.

I've already posted a couple videos showing various breakdowns, such as a lack of effectiveness of the "Dime" linebacker being played with a safety, etc. That is an issue of personnel not coaching.

With that said, I definitely think the defensive side of the ball needs better coached, but that is not Tomlin's job that is Butler's job. I like the fact that Tomlin lets his coaches coach not sticking his head into their business. I don't think that is an effective coach strategy, but he is in charge of accountability. If there is not an improvement on defense than Butler should be shown the door.

If there is not an improvement of control of the locker room, than Tomlin should be shown the door. I don't think that will be a recurrent theme however.