1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Any Thoughts About Challenges for PI Allowed?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by BigBensBigBong, Mar 27, 2019.

1. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Not sure I follow you. I just don't like the fact the rules are written in such a way that officials can pick and choose when to call them.

2. Smitch89

Smitch89 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    So he must be at like 5% the last 2 year's to bring that career average down then

3. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Source?

4. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
  5. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
  6. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    A command station who could review any "crucial" plays would be great!

Time for a little conspiracy theory! Have you ever wondered why the NFL doesn't have a definitive set of rules and why they can't get replay right? Maybe they don't want to? Not that they want to get calls wrong or don't care, but maybe they don't want the calls being taken out of the hands of the guys on the field who can help the proper markets advance?

Think about this..... critical game between A and B, A has a 4th and 3 in B's territory in a game deciding drive. The ref can throw a flag if he wants to for O line holding, and if A converts, it comes back, if they don't, it's game over. IMHO the refs should not have that kind of control. But if they don't, it becomes harder for them to control the outcome and one outcome can produce a lot more revenue for the NFL than the other.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    How about they teach the refs to be better and add a couple more to the field. Actually call the pick plays. Gotta keep that scoring up though and hamstring the defenses even more. :cool:

8. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Exactly

9. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    We talked about this two years ago I believe when everyone was screaming conspiracy theory and there was no way because all 32 owners would need to be in on it. I floated the idea that no they didn't in fact the best conspiracy would involve as few a 5 people any more than that and the weight of keeping things straight would crush the whole thing. Heck Goodell wouldn't even have to be in on it. There would just need to be one well placed but person in the league office who is behind the scenes. That person would make suggestions like we have a rivalry game this week between the Ravens and the Steelers, it is always physical let's make sure we stress personal foul penalties when meeting with the officials for that game. The officials make it a point of emphasis and it keeps the game physical but fair with a low score that falls within the Vegas line and boom guys get paid.

10. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I was thinking even more innocent than that. The refs all know that .... as goes the NFL's money, so goes their money. You know, "if the company makes money, we all make money" sort of mentality. So the NFL keeps enough rules written in such a way that the refs can control a game and the refs know that teams A and B playing each other next week is a lot more money than teams B and C playing each other it all polices itself.

11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Well they need to use it for this and not the on field judges.

And fire Al.

12. Voice of Reason

Voice of Reason Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2019
  13. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    That's one problem with "judgement calls"

14. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

Get used to a world where every pass in the last two minutes get reviewed, every single one. Because if they're not, one fan base or another will feel screwed. You know that feeling when the other side throws an incomplete pass on 4th down late in s game, and the relief when the announcer says "There are no flags!"? Forget that, you'll have to wait for approval from central command.

And that approval will be a "judgement call" from a video ref on top of a referee's "judgement call". A judgement call decided in frame by frame slow motion. Ya know, there sure was contact there, or maybe it wasn't much. Indisputable evidence? What a quaint idea.

This could be very, very ugly.

15. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    This might take longer than the last two minutes of a basketball game.

16. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Orleans was robbed at the chance to go and I believe beat the cheats. That line judge should have been fired after that non call. And the kicker is he adamantly waved off another ref after the non call like a tyrant. Was an envelope waiting for him after the game? Perhaps.

Good rule change. Taking the game changing calls away from these zebras i'm all for it. They should also be fined for blatant missed calls and suspended. That won't happen so adding these challenges I believe will help.

17. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Pretty soon the coin toss will be challenged.

18. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

Taking the calls away from the zebras and giving them to whom? To Al Riveron, that's who.

19. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Im sure Riveron isn't a one man operation. If hes calling all the replays for every came, that's pretty impressive.

"Put Texans/Chargers on hold, I'm looking at Pats/Jets at the moment"

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  20. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    It should be! I remember a certain game in Detroit......

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  21. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    As sour as I am at Riveron and his posse after a while people start to question. Fixed? Not Fixed? I want to see the zebras accountable so these changes should be made. Look at the PI's against Haden. Joke. The roughing against the Chiefs. Joke. Look at the highway robbery that Orleans got. Orleans I believe would have had a better contest maybe rocking the cheats. If that call went against the Steelers, if you don't go off the chain you ain't Alive!

But alas we have Tomlin, the popcorn of the challenge world. Damn, there I go again. I'm trying, I'm trying....

22. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    The Jesse James pass vs NE was reviewed, the zebras on the field didn't reverse it, Central Command did. Did anyone see this as an example of correcting an zebra on field error? Was it an example of getting the call right? Nope, it was an example of a 'FIX' by central command. And yet people want to give them more power.

When a PI call like the one by Haden is upheld on review because there was SOME contact, and when a late game 4th down catch by Juju is over turned in the last two minutes when Central Command sees OPI, no one around here will be happy that review 'got it right'. And this will happen every week in the NFL.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
  23. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Arrogance?

• Winner Winner x 1