1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Has Tomlin been muzzled or self-muting

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by LoneGranger, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I don't need educated on it, I can see for myself that Tomlin runs a VERY sloppy ship and regardless of whatever record he has achieved, he could have done far better if he instilled a small amount of discipline.

It seems to me that the simple minds want to ignore the chaos that exists under Tomlin and pretend like regular season win/loss is all that matters. And maybe to a simple mind, that "is" all that matters. I'm sure the hare can be perfectly content with second place despite the fact that if he had any level of discipline, he would have been first.

The previous year? You mean the mighty 13-3 Steelers losing to Jaguars at home? That the year you're talking about? One and done? I think he gets credit for that too.

2. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Fan's expectations are completely unrealistic.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    "He could have done far better if he instilled a small amount of discipline" Sorry but the Steelers issues didn't simply boil down to discipline. That's a hype machine that people go overboard with as you have. Ultimately what happened on the field determined the out come of the 2018 season. Turnovers hurt the team more than any of the drama or off the field issues the organization had to deal with.

Simple minds want to label a couple of bad apples as a generalization of what happens within the organization. Sorry but 95 to 98 percent of the players within the organization appear to be good apples.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Was that Tomlin or JuJu who called the fake punt earlier in that same game?

5. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Was that Tomlin or JuJu that got knocked on their ass on the fake punt?:shrug:

6. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Who was that all pro player that got knocked on his ass? The entire season was put in his hands, so I can only assume he's an all pro, right? Or at least a starter, right? Or was it a backup who probably wouldn't be in the league if he was on any other team?
    It wouldn't have mattered had Tomlin simply punted the ball and flipped the field, especially considering they had the lead at the time. That play call alone is reason to question Tomlin's coaching process and in-game decision making. Unfortunately, there's a list of other reasons to go with it.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017

My take on the current meltdown of Brown and Bell is that the Steelers were in a position of having arguably the best players at their position in Bell and Brown. In a desire to keep up with the jones' and be competitive in a changing NFL, Rooney and Tomlin condoned things they previously did such allow Antonio special privileges.

They went on the presumption that with his multimillion deal making him the highest paid WR in the NFL, he'd act like a professional and a mature human being. The experiment failed.

Tomlin even made statements regarding the need for change and handling players differently. I don't think it will be a huge change in his personality, but I look for more accountability. I think that will happen as most likely him and Rooney have have had private discussions regarding this.

Either way I DO NOT believe this will be a recurrent theme in the Burgh. It wasn't an issue before, and it won't be after.

My prediction... we will see.

8. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Bad play, but people make it out like that has been a recurrent theme.

It hasn't.

He got aggressive and made a poor decision that backfired.

So people can point to one play while there are a thousands of others that worked out much different.

9. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    All Matakevich and Chickillo had to do was make a decent block, and Nix gets the first down. Not getting knocked on their asses isn't too much to ask of them :shrug:.

10. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    That was the only poor decision you ever saw Tomlin make?

11. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Yes it is too much to ask, and that was a perfect example why. They're both backups for a reason. Never put your season in the hands of a backup (on purpose), coaching 101.

12. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Yeah because special teams players never help their team win games :facepalm:, they get paid just like every other player, they don't do much on defense so contribute in other ways :shrug:.

13. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Sorry bro can't take that question seriously.

14. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I can't blame you. If I was a Tomlin defender, I'd have the same response. Crickets.

15. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    lmao ok. Start asking real questions and I can give you real answers.

16. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    They're backups. On that particular play, they contributed like backups would be expected to by ever other coach in the league.

17. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    When Tomlin pulls out the challenge flag, do you say "Yes! Reversal coming up!!"?:lollmao:

• Like Like x 1
  18. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    FYI, the season didn't come down to that call, they had the ball driving late in the 4th qtr when JuJu fumbled :shrug:.

19. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    He has been abysmal with the challenges, but why has there not been more of a support cast to assist with this setup.

Still even the challenges fall short of the accusations against Tomlin of being such a poor coach.

The reality is, he is better than most give him credit for in areas such as game planning, etc.

I look for Tomlin and the Steelers to have a rebound year. Most likely Tomlin will be around until his coaching tenure is up. A change in coach will most likely occur with transition of QB with Ben retiring.

The coach change will be due to wanting new wine in new skin and not necessarily a indictment to Tomlin as a coach. We will see.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    FYI they could have been in victory formation at that point.
    If you stand behind that fake punt as a good call, then there's no sense in going back and forth any further. We're on different planets regarding this topic.

21. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Hopefully optimistic vs doubtfully pessimistic.;+)

22. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Lets talk about the games that he coached that were against opponents that they should have handled. Lets talk about keeping the scrub Dobbs in all the while Ben was cleared and ready to go. Loss. His game management is piss poor. His halftime adjustments are nil. Guess they are men and know all by themselves how to get the job done.

Look, you support Tomlin their is no denying that. Most don't. This will be a big year for the head coach. To me winning seasons are cute. Lets talk about years of failing to advance in the playoffs. If the Standard is the Standard just another in a long line of ad nauseam clichés then playoffs and Super Bowls are the Standard. The message is stale. Like said, big year for the head coach.

23. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Correct me if I'm wrong but hasn't Tomlin refused to use a challenge assistant or clock management assistant?

24. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I find it hard to believe that anyone, regardless of how big of a Tomlin supporter, could use this argument? His game planning, game preparedness, ability to adjust, and game management have been some of his bigger areas of concern?

Edited to add: The OP asked if Tomlin was muzzled or self muted? Since Tomlin loves him some microphone, maybe that's where he spends his time game planning; anticipating media questions and rehearsing his witty responses?

25. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I haven't seen that - though this report suggests it's your other favourite character in the mix:
    https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...e-tomlin-some-help-with-challenges-and-clock/

It seems like the issue is what else that person would do.

I thought they hired some kind of stats/prediction-type person a few years back to look at data trends, success of plays etc. - not sure what happened to that (it may have just been a short-term hire for the preseason or something, can't remember). But that would seem to be the kind of person you want advising on challenges and clock-time.