1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

A Good Article That Shows Losing BEN and not Antonio Brown would be Potentially Detrimental

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mcam, Mar 25, 2019.

1. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
  2. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Kordell actually wasn't all that bad until he wanted to be a pocket passer. Some of us remember Kent Graham.:facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    In short, "Slash" was good but Kordell Stewart was not.

Teams did not fear the pass. They'd line up with 8-9 in the box and the Steelers of then with Cowher would line up with the 2 TE and FB sets and just run right at it with Bettis.

Those were an awesome time watching this team exert it's will on defenses with the running game with Bettis, but there's not a prayer in hades that would save the Steelers of then to put together a two-minute drill to win the game.

4. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Some of us remember Cliff Stoudt and Mark Malone

EDIT: Why the heck are there two of the same thread???

5. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    A good QB is always better than a good WR.

Look at Brady, he wins every year with average WR's.

Most of Brady's WR wouldn't be half as good with other teams.

Look at how much better Hines Ward was with Ben. I love Hines. Hines was a worker and didn't have the elite ability, many WR's do. But there is no doubt his best years were in 2004-2010 when Ben came to town.

Hines didn't have near the success, with Kordell or Maddox.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    UGH! Kent Graham.:facepalm: Some bad memories there.

I have always been of the mindset, that had Chan Galey been the OC for Kordell's entire career, we would remember him far differently. Kordell had his faults, but man was he an exceptional athlete.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Bubby (Panic) Brister
    Neil O'Donnell
    Mike Tomczak
    Tommy Maddox

8. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Larry Fitzgerald is the perfect example, he is a HOF receiver and the Cardinals do nothing because they don't have a good QB.

9. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2019/03/04/larry-fitzgerald-on-ab/

"“I love AB, Mr. Best Chest is a good friend of mine,” Fitzgerald said. “But I don’t think he is going about it the right way personally. You know, to be able to play with an all-time quarterback like he is able to play with, I don’t think he understands how good he has it. You know, can get tough out there.”" Larry Fitzgerald

Fun facts

10. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Kordell struggled with consistency. He looked like a world beater for 3 games, then he would go in the ****ter for 2.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Seems pointless to write such an article. It's like writing an article talking about how the sun is hot. In today's NFL, a top QB is worth 50 top WR's.

12. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I'll see your 50 WR's and raise you a coach! Oh ****, I don't have one:shrug:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  13. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    But there's only one Brady. He is the only QB in the this era with more than two SBs and NE has a system that works. Brady may not be the top stat guy but he just wins and turns the ball over less than others. That's what wins them games.

14. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I'll see your coach and raise you an owner! Oh ****, I forgot who I was responding to.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  15. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Nah, I already have an owner who is perfect! But you already knew that:hehehe:

16. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Yep! It's hard to quantify where the lines would be drawn? How good would the Patriots be with a guy like Bortles (although they wouldn't have a guy like Bortles), and how good would Brady be with a team like the Browns (although the Browns wouldn't be who they are if they were smart enough to get a guy like Brady)

There are stat racking guys like Brees and Rivers who don't win a lot of the big games, there is Brady who wins without racking up passing stats, Ben has had a fair amount of both.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
  17. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    If we got all the PI calls and were allowed to hold and run picks we could win like Tom Tom too.:smiley1::cool:

18. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    He never had the poise and know how of working from behind leading a team to a win IMO.

He was good scrambling in the backfield when he failed to go through progressions adequately.

He had a decent arm getting the ball down field.

He routinely led Hines Ward into safeties over the middle. .. >>> can't believe some of the catches Hine's would make getting crushed over the middle.

He was a good slot receiver in his days as "Slash"

Teams never saw him as a threat which is why they'd load 8-9 players in the box in attempts to stop the Bus.

19. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    But people need reminded.

We'll see how things go in Oakland with Mr. Big Chest running the show holding players accountable. :roflmao: