1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Barron to sign

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by PolamaluBlitz, Mar 17, 2019.

1. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Well I don't know much about all the Sutton talk about moving to Safety, I just started reading that here. I am not sure the scheme is about players as it is about coaching. If Tomlin wants to run the dollar we are gonna run it with or without the right players. I don't know how much we ran our 3-4 or 4-3 or nickle but this is a passing league now so I am thinking we aren't gonna get away from the dollar. jmo :smiley1:

2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    We just brought in a second DB coach. The sutton talk didn't start on this site either. Coverages can change with personnel very easily. I think mt had to be locked into the dollar more last year than he will this year with different players available. He's not that stupid. It's part of the reason we are making these changes. :cool:

3. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I heard all this new coach talk last year too when we brought in Bradley, he was gonna be the savior and turn out back end around. As for the Sutton talk I wasn't implying it started here what I was implying was I haven't heard anything about it until it was posted here. I am/was unaware of this talk about Sutton moving to safety.

As for your thoughts on the dollar I respect your opinion but it is Tomlin's choice what D to play he isn't forced into anything. Tomlin tries to fit the square peg in the round a lot and as for him not being that stupid.......have you watched the last few years we are going backwards. The changes we are making are finally moving towards the style Tomlin wants to run and that is imo our saving grace. :smiley1:

4. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I get what you are saying my friend. The proof is in the pudding. The best thing we can do is be a defense that can play multiple ways. With all the safeties brought in last year , we were looking for that GUY in Burnett. Now it's barron. He wants that role. Burnett didnt. He wanted a more traditional safety role I believe.

I'm not down on bradley. He was given a lot of new green moving parts last year. I think it will be a lot more stable this go around. I think sutton can be an additional chess piece at times. Burns has to go and Nelson should help solidify. Hilton needs to sign back on.

I don't think the LB spot in the draft is cut and dry yet. I think they still may be looking for another Barron type. I'm not sure Bush is that guy. They want more safety characteristics in that guy. Ala shazier. I think that is why the search continues. Bush, long jr. , gilbert. Those are the sub 4.5 guys. Gilbert may have the best coverage skills. They also want the LB skills. Long jr. May have those. None of these guys are completely what they are looking for. I think they check two out of the 3 boxes. Wilson checks two but the speed isn't what these others are. Tough call right now. One Barron injury could send the whole plan into a tail spin. I was on the Ulysses Gilbert train early on, but as I said two out of three boxes checked for what we are trying to find.:cool:

• Like Like x 1
  5. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I agree with what your saying however I am basing my opinion on what I am seeing and reading. I am not down on Bradley either I am just saying I am not all goo goo for gaa gaa over a coach making that big of a difference. JMO I do like the moves we are making and think it will help with the style MT wants to run and I agree with you on the LB spot. :thumbs_up:

6. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I hope we are also looking at dru Greenlaw out of arkansas. He could check some of those boxes too. He is a good cover lb. Maybe one of the better ones in the draft.:cool:

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  7. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    They met with ILB Ulysses Gilbert of Akron, he could be a late round selection.

8. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Hasn't it been pointed out that they have never drafted anyone in like the last 10 years or more that they haven't had in for a visit? I think meeting like this are more telling than all the draftniks and their projections when it comes to what the Steelers war room is thinking.

9. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I think only 1st round for guys they haven’t had into the complex or had dinner with. They definitely do some guys later that there was no reported contact with.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    From what I can find, they never met with Terrell Edmunds or T J Watt?

11. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I thought they had dinner with TJ and Tomlin went to meet Edmunds whole family. I could be wrong there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    You are correct. Apparently what I was looking at doesn’t include visits of that type.

13. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Ignore him on Edmunds. He believes he will bust. People said the same about Troy. We shall see.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Y'all really need to stop with the comparisons of Polamalu and Edmunds. Polamalu was universally considered a first-round prospect. Everybody had him going in the top 20. He was an elite talent and a great player at USC.

Edmunds was a third-round value by most, a second-rounder by a few. He wasn't a great player in college.

Yes, there were people who got impatient with Polmalu after one year, but there was less reason to do so.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  15. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Trading up for a player who does not meet expectations should equate less impaitence huh? Interesting conclusion. In that case, not trading up for a player should mean more paitence then! :thumbs_up:

Thinking about it now thanks to your statement, I feel even better about Terrell's future than I did a couple seconds ago! :applaud:

16. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Terrell is going to have trouble shining like Troy did with Butler/Tomlin at the helm. Lebeau gets credit for understanding how to let Troy shine.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Two different type of players, it doesn't meant he can't become a good player in a different type of way.

18. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    No, you don't. You'e trolling and flat-out lying about the positions of another poster. Next time try being honest with the board and perhaps with yourself.

There was less reason to be impatient with Polamalu because he had better talent and a better resume before arriving in Pittsburgh. Looking at everything about him rather than just one season and looking at everything about Edmunds rather than just one season, there was more reason to believe Polamalu's play would improve significantly in his second season and beyond.

19. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Agreed. It's a terrible comparison, yet people keep making it, mostly because they are so desperate to believe the team didn't reach for Edmunds.

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
  21. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    yeah I am skeptical on Edmunds only because I feel even if he is good I am not confident our coaching can bring out his best.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  22. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Please don't take this as a direct shot at you, but that seems to be the baked-in excuse and I'm not buying it for a second.

• Like Like x 1
  23. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Well... Polamalu played much better under LeBeau in '04 than he did in '03 with Tim Lewis as D coordinator. Not saying that had everything to do with Polamalu's monumental leap from year 1 to year 2, but I'm sure it played a part.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

:hmm:

So when you say the board, do you mean just you?! Rather, are you speaking for the board?! Is the entire board down on Edmunds?!

All the more reason some Steelers fans still eviscerated the pick at the conclusion of his rookie season. Given the fact that the team traded up to get him, the general consensus was that he was supposed to be an impact player. Regardless of the decade in the Modern NFL Era, a top 20 player usually means a Day One starter; regardless of the team or circumstances. The fact that Troy really did not do much of anything was concerning to some at the time.

So what you are indirectly stating is that there is an even bigger reason to be excited because Terrell's play improved down the stretch in his rookie season; a better year two as a result?! Understood! Better yet, you are also implying that Terrell does have what it takes to be even better player overall?! Even better! :thumbs_up:

All in all, while you might not believe Terrell will pan out, I do. No one is stating he is the next Troy; me doubly so and no less. However, to say he is a bust because he did not produce like other rookies, using hindsight no less, is very short sighted and unfair. He needs time, just like any rookie.

Keep in mind he did JUST play Strong Safety for one collegiate season. Had he produced the same results yet was more seasoned at the position since college, there would be a cause for concern. However, this is not the case.

To clarify, he is still relatively new to the position. He also needed time. Troy was already playing that position for a while the same. Terrell already showed many of us his growth down the stretch. Why else would the team release Morgan Burnett?! Had they kept him, that would have been a major issue as that tells me that the team does not believe Terrell is ready to take the next step.

• Like Like x 2
  25. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I agree with most points. I also agree that he was a reach like scribe said. However, as you stated he was improving as the season went on and I’m pretty excited to see what he can turn into. Seems like he has a good head on his shoulders. I just don’t feel he will be a top level elite safety, but that’s kind of a dumb standard to live up to lol.

This team has too many defensive flaws to focus all negativity on edmunds imo who was definitely not the weakest link at all.

• Like Like x 1