1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Barron to sign

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by PolamaluBlitz, Mar 17, 2019.

1. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    All good, brother. He obviously has some risk. My point was just that, used the right/limited way, the guy could be a good signing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. FeedTheMachineFTM

FeedTheMachineFTM Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Yeah ,I wasn't too sure but checking out some of the film posted ,looks like it could be promising

3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I really don't have a problem with the signing. Maybe he can start inside. At the very least, he can fill the role in sub packages that they wanted for Burnett last season. Of course, that is a damn expensive for a sub package guy.

My point was that I don't really care that the Rams wanted him back. They couldn't have wanted him that badly if they wanted to reduce his salary so badly that they risked losing him by cutting him.

4. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I don't get this signing. Not going to freak out about it but the guy is almost 30 and hasn't made an impact play in years. He is at best average against the run and poor against the pass from what I can tell. Just not seeing why we would give 12 million over 2 years to him. Hopefully the Steelers saw something in him that they think they can better utilize. Not holding out a lot of hope though.

5. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Colbert was looking to fill a need before the draft, he's a capable starter, but they should find the long term answer in the draft.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Yeah, I get that this is Colbert's MO. He likes to have everything somewhat filled so we aren't forced to reach. I just question that Barron does anything to fill a need. He seems extremely replaceable and rather highly paid given that.

7. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Steelers continue to spin their wheels at ILB.

8. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I would think Barron could be a 2 down ILB to start the season, then a rookie ILB or versatile rookie safety replace him on passing downs I would hope.

9. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Reminds me of the 70’s:

Steelers Wheel - Stuck in the middle with you.

Clowns to the left of me, Jags to the right.....

10. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Could we possibly be trying to get back to our more traditional 3-4? The addition of Barron for shazier. The draft of mack wilson for timmons. Maybe buggs as a more traditional NT? We added Nelson opposite haden now. Maybe a guy like winovich too for a dupree replacement down the road? They also sent the house to west virginia to possibly be looking at long for barron eventual replacement in time.:cool:

11. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Not with Tomlin here he loves this hybrid stuff and the dollar stuff. I feel this is why we signed Barron and cut Burnett and why we drafted Edmunds last year. jmo

12. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    but if they got mack it goes to the same thing he had. barron just becomes his new shazier. thats how shazier was used too. he was nothing more than a hybrid LB/safety. mack would give us a timmons type that can run, stop the run and cover. we now have cover men in haden and nelson. the safeties can go to their more traditional role and not have to cover up the run for vince. the OLB'ers can cover less and help with the run. i think sutton will become the new FS help if needed. they were starting to use him in that capacity. allen can help in coverage as a backup corner and they probably draft one. marcus allen the backup SS. get a traditional NT and another DE and we may be pretty well set. finally. :cool:

13. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I get what your saying but even with Ryan out there we have been moving to the hybrid D Tomlin loves. I just don't see us going back to a 3-4 as long as Tomlin is here. He is a tampa 2 guy and loves this "dollar" D and to be honest with you it might work with the right players and imo Barron is a good start. As for Wilson I am not a fan and I am not sure who I dislike more him or Bush. :smiley1:

14. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I agree Barron was a good start. We will be less hurt if we are caught on the field these new linebackers than with Vince and the crew. :cool:

15. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    If he was the all-end solution at ILB for the year I'd be concerned, BUT I think the Steelers are moving up to get one of the Devins with most likely Devin Bush, which I believe is something they really have to do seeing that we do have still a huge gaping hole at ILB IMO.

Hopefully it doesn't require the bank to move up to get him. If not Colberts not going to pull a Mike Ditka/Ricky Waters move.

I do think he's itching to move up though. Like he did with Polamalu.

16. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Yes I agree Vince and Bostic don't fit this system but our system changes so much. I have a problem trying to figure our the line up when we go to the "dollar" correct me if I am wrong but I think it use to look like this:

DE's : Watt & Dud
    DT's: Cam & Tuitt
    LB : Vince/Bostic or Fort
    S's: Davis, Burnett & Edmunds
    CB's: Haden, Sense & Hilton

Right now it looks a lot different:

DE's: Watt & Dud
    DT's: Cam & Tuitt
    LB: Barron
    S's: Davis, Edmunds & one of the Allens(?)
    CB's: Haden, Nelson and Hilton

Now obviously we still have the draft and it looks like if that goes the way most think my blood pressure is gonna go through the roof and we will end up with Bush:puking2:and that would move Barron to S and replace one of the Allens(Marcus or Brian), do you agree with this? I am just trying to figure out this defense and the line up we ran last year to what it will look like now and see how much of an upgrade it is. :smiley1:

17. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Vince isn't going anywhere. It's possible Bostic will get cut and Barron will slide into his role, he's a better cover guy but I don't think thats why Barron was brought here. He can play the hybrid roll, I think he is here to take Burnetts spot.

18. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I didn't say Vince is going anywhere since his cap hit will kill us but I can see his role changing in the "dollar" defense that we are trying to run. Bostic is interesting since we can free up 1.8 mil but his 2.5 mil cap hit isn't bad either. I agree Barron is here to take Burnetts spot and that is what I was talking about above.

19. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I didn't say you did, I didn't quote you, lol.

Just adding my 2 cents that Vince will remain in the roll he's been playing.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The biggest problem with the current defense on passing downs is they have Hargrave on the sidelines and lesser players on the field. I would like to see some sort of defensive formation that keeps him on the field with Tuitt and Heyward.

• Like Like x 1
  21. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Maybe I’m remembering too small of a sample size, but I thought Hargrave gave a decent push/pass rush? Personally, I prefer one more guy creating pressure and one less guy in the backfield sightseeing.

22. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    After a certain series of posts, I’m afraid to reply to yours. I keep expecting them to come back marked up in red. ;)

23. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I don't know what you are talking about. :)

I tend to save the red ink for sycophants who refer to my arguments as asinine.

24. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    That was exactly my point. Hargrave was an excellent pass rusher in college and he has shown flashes in the pros. They need to take better advantage of that.

25. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Don't forget there was some talk of sutton in some safety roles.

we played more of that dollar too because of who we had. Put mack wilson next to Barron and the 5 DBs and our LBers can cover again like a younger timmons a shaker with barron. We may play less of the dollar that way. Add a winovich to where did is. This could be a very different defense.

I do think hargraves gets more playing time. Dunbar has made a difference.:cool:

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019