1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ben to AB

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by burghfan58, Mar 7, 2019.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
  2. Voice of Reason

Voice of Reason Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2019
    I can’t recall who was higher on the depth chart, but do have to question if your statement is accurate.

In 2013, Sanders last year with the Steelers, he had ~750 yards. That same year AB had almost 1,500. Cotchery had almost as many yards as Sanders that year.

Sanders went to Denver and had 1,400 yards under Manning’s last good season. His other two “good” seasons were 1,000 and 1,100.

As far as Plaxico is concerned, he played in one season with Ben (his rookie season) and left.....

3. RobertoC#21

RobertoC#21 Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011
    sanders left because he wasnt the man, he was behind wallace and brown. He left for the money he wasnt going to get in Pgh being #3, no shame in that but dont try to say he was better without Ben, he was better because he didnt have to compete with WR's on his own team that were better than him.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    I remember in that sb vs GB he was the 3rd receiver on the depth chart behind hines and Wallace. Maybe he did move down and it just slipped my memory. And no one with football knowledge would said Jericho cotchery was better than emmaunel sanders. Ab was though. He also wasnt the man in Denver. Demaryius Thomas was the man when he got there.

5. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    And also hines ward had his best season the yr before ben was drafted. Forgot about that too. So dont act like these guys arent great in their own right and it's all just ben. Ab is great. Hines is great. Sanders is not great but very good. Plaxico was very good and would have been even better if he didnt shoot himself like an idiot. Two things can be true. Ben can be great and so can they. Doesnt have to be 1 or the other.

6. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Actually, that's a bit misleading there.

Plax was better with Ben: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BurrPl00.htm

Sanders had better stats after he left because only started 18 Games with Pittsburgh on his rookie contract. The instant he got to Denver he had a guy named Manning targeting him 141 times.

7. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    He got hurt in that game then Brown overtook him.

He absolutely was the man in Denver the first year there he had 141 targets and caught 101 balls! He's the guy that allowed Thomas to do what he did.

8. RobertoC#21

RobertoC#21 Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011
    sanders left because he wasnt the man, he was behind wallace and brown. He left for the money he wasnt going to get in Pgh being #3, no shame in that but dont try to say he was better without Ben, he was better because he didnt have to compete with WR's on his own te
    Sanders Wallace and Brown called themselves the young money crew, AB and Wallace were offered very nice contracts. Sanders was not going to get that kind of money staying in Pittsburgh. He left for money, went to a good team with a great QB, got paid and won a ring. Not saying he wasnt good, but he wasnt as good as who we were willing to pay here. He made the right move for himself money wise.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Weeeeeeeeeeeee!

#1 Passer for yards
    #5 Receiver (Ju Ju)
    #4 overall Offense
    #4 Offensive line
    #9 Running back

Without AB we will still be in the top seven or eight offensively.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    All of that was with AB. We will see how the offense looks without him.

11. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Thomas had 92, 1430, and 15 TDs the yr before sanders got there. Fake news.

12. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Technically he did money and career wise. He wasnt winning a sb here. wes welker made a career of eating in the slot. Sammy Watkins is the chiefs third option..had he stayed healthy last yr he probably has 1000 yds. Shoot peyton in 2013 had thomas leading the nfl in TDs and having 1000 yds, julius thomas making the pro bowl with 12 td catches, and eric decker as the 3rd option with 87, 1288, and 11 TDs. Him being the "3rd option" is not an excuse as to why he didnt produce with ben. Remember the Broncos in the 90s with McCaffrey, shannon sharpe, and rod Smith all going over 1000 and making the pro bowl? Its possible...

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
  13. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    His best 2 seasons in Pittsburgh were 2001 and 2002. Before ben was in the nfl. Fake news.

14. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    You are right and Ju Ju may or may not be as good without AB but I think he is trustworthy and will be pretty good. Ben is not elite any more but he is still damn good and I think he will find the right combination of his new found arm strength and his touch thereby reducing the INT's. The O line is key and they are great. If Connor and Ju Ju stay healthy I have no concern about the O. The D, the coaching, the owner, and the culture are a very, very different story.

15. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Jury is still out on juju whether he's transcendent. I believe he can be an elite level guy. But he hasnt proven it as the man with the defense solely focused on him so we got to see with him. It's very easy at that 2 spot with defenses focusing on someone the caliber of AB. Conner is not a transcendent talent. While hes very good I wouldnt consider him elite. I believe the rb of the future isn't on the roster yet but hey maybe he get najee harris next yr. I am as well very concerned about the defense especially since butler is back and concerned with the direction the team will go after Colbert and the organization continues to elevate ben on a platform as if hes above the entire roster.

16. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I miss the young money crew. Such a simpler time.:(

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Daddymac10

Daddymac10 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015
    Ben to A.J. Brown?? Fingers crossed ...2nd round baby!!

Hoping we can get (1) Devin Bush, (2) AJ Brown or Parris Campbell, (3) Noah Fant, & (4) Oshane Ximines...

18. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I don't. More like the young money no hardware crew.

19. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I don’t believe Sanders blames Ben. What he said was Peyton was a far better leader from a mental standpoint and wanting to stay after practice.

Now here’s the kicker! Who defended Ben? None other than AB himself!

"That was terrible," Brown said Wednesday. "You don't throw your quarterback under the bus, the guy who makes you who you are."

• Like Like x 3
  20. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
  21. EnglishSteeler

EnglishSteeler Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2019
    Fant in the 3rd?! Most mocks i see have him gone before our first pick let alone our 3rd

22. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    • Like Like x 1