1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Steelers draft strategy

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by steelersrule6, Mar 16, 2019.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    With them having 4 picks in the top 83, I sure hope at least 3 of those picks are on defense. Unlike last year when they took offensive players with 4 of their first 5 picks :facepalm:. Look for the Steelers to trade up in this draft, they have 10 picks, I'm not sure what round but it will most likely happen. Their biggest needs
    ILB, they might need 2 here if there is no FA signing
    Safety, specifically a playmaker
    TE
    WR
    OLB
    DL

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    If Bush and White are gone by #20, maybe trade down then you could take Adderley, Pratt, in the early second round.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Well it is no secret I don't want ILB in the first. I don't want to trade up for White and I don't want Bush or Wilson at all. I do agree we need defensive help and I do agree ILB is a big hole. Sitting at 20 we are gonna have our pick at a stud imo. I am on the Murphy bandwagon and if he is gone I am starting to think Fant could be a very nice option. Some may say no way to a TE in the first but I say this may be one of the weakest positions in the draft and TE is a need for us. Losing James and the risk of Vance getting hurt could be a big problem, Fant could fix that and I am not sure there is anyone else later in the draft that would help.

Now you say what about our biggest hole, ILB? Well I am pretty confident in guys like Pratt, Hanks, Coney, Smith and Edwards in the 2nd to help fill that hole. Honestly there was a lot of talk on here about Edwards and that has died down but I like him a whole lot more that Bush, JMO.

In rounds 2-4 I really believe we can find a CB, WR, RB, S, OLB or DL but can we find a TE? Right now we take the best player or move back a few spots and gain another pick if White don't fall to us. But I would love to see Murphy/Fant/Adderly as our 1st round options and then come back in the second with either Pratt/Coney/Edwards.

• Like Like x 1
  4. steelcityclash

steelcityclash Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2018
    Despite signing Barron, I think safety is in real play as our first. If Chauncey Gardner-Johnson and Adderley are both available at 20, I honestly don’t know who my pick would be. They’re both playmakers and have played the CB position as well. We have some sort of obsession with players that have versatility.

Sorry but Sean Davis is not a long term answer. He’s a solid backup, nothing more. Seeing what Safety’s are commanding, I don’t want to offer Davis a 2nd contract simply because we have no other choice. Signing Chickello and Dupree’s 9 mill franchise tag is not pushing this team forward.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    The Barron signing has threw me off, I need to recalculate. LOL

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I still think Brian burns would be a great pick at 20. Dupree is a one year place holder for now. Chick will be here last that along with ola. We solidify watt and the outside with this pick.

I agree with ny about ILB in the second especially with Barron here now. Pratt, wilson, long, coney, tranquill, gilbert, even the kid from Texas that can the 4.4. Give these guys a year to work on their coverage skills, the other parts are already good. Barron gives us that time.

two picks in the upper portion of the 3rd also gives us ability to move on cb, te or wr.

Don't discount our 4th and newly acquired 5th either. There will still be some quality left in this draft. It seems quite deep in talent. We have 6th round picks to move up in those rounds.

what we can't afford to do is make panic picks.:cool:

• Like Like x 3