1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Pittsburgh Might Obtain Another Second Round Pick!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by AskQuestionsLater, Mar 16, 2019.

1. Move up in the First Round!! Acquire Devin White!!!

10 vote(s)
    52.6%
  2. Move up in the Second Round!! Acquire BPA!!

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  3. Stand Pat!! Add more talent with more picks!

8 vote(s)
    42.1%
  1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Again, this is a very small possibility. Please though, here me out on this one. It could be beneficial in both the short and long term run.

Word broke today that Max Unger, the former First Team All Pro and Three Time Pro Bowl selection, has retired. New Orleans owns the 62nd pick, number 30 Overall in the Second Round of this year's draft. In addition, New Orleans is also going to restructure Drew Bree's Contract yet again.

Given the fact that New Orleans has little to no trade leverage in this upcoming draft due to the draft selection of Marcus Davenport in addition to an abysmal center class in Free Agency. Not much they can do right?!

Well... not quite!

I know that B.J. Finney is a lifelong Steelers fan. I also know that New Orleans, like Pittsburgh, is running out of time with their Quarterback as well. That being said, it is possible that New Orleans could secede their Second Round Pick to us in exchange for Finney. Would that hurt?! Sure. Does this mean the interior will have to be looked at again?! Absolutely.

Now, does this give us even more firepower in the draft?! Most definitely. Should this happen, what would your takeaway be?! Excited?! Unhappy?! Hopeful?!

• Like Like x 2
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  2. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    IMO Finney is a better guard than centre. And he’s played a lot more at G. Not saying it’s impossible, but it would seem unlikely that he’s even on their radar.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I saw the title of the thread and thought it was something other than Twitter-fiction; like maybe there was a tampering claim against someone for talking with Bell prematurely. Instead it’s a columnist saying “I wonder if...” and a completely unrealistic premise. :facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    No way I’m trading him. If one of our starters go down, we’d be screwed. Saints will just have to draft one in the 2nd round.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Yeah I have to agree to say no to this one.

Finney is a solid backup that's sure to find some time playing for injured players.

The O-line is important.

Keep Finney!

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I would rather keep Finney. If the scenario the OP suggested were to happen, you would end up having to spend that extra pick on the Oline, because the trade would leave us thin. I would pass on this one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    We need to keep depth in our o-line so no.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    They can’t trade him. That’s not what his tender is. They have the right to match any offer he gets. FYI

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. Danthesteelersman

Danthesteelersman Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2018
    Can Phinney not replace Gilbert at Tackle ?

10. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    It's Finney and no, he's not a tackle.

Can we get back to the informed discussion now?

If the Steelers lose Finney and get a second-round pick, it's not a disaster, but I think they are better off keeping him.

11. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I don't think it will happen. You don't seem to see a lot of teams go after other teams' RFAs.

I like Finn has he is a quality back up C/G.

That being said, I will take another crack at a quality player on defense over O-line depth.

So yes, I would be OK with it if it did play out, but i think it's unlikely.

12. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Thanks for pointing this out. I forgot the guy was restricted. Hope the Steelers retain him.

13. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    This isn't going to happen but yes, I'd make that trade in a heartbeat.

I wanted a 2nd for AB, I'd take that every day twice on Sunday for a backup center.

14. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    The Saints don't have a 1st, 3rd or 4th round pick. The 2nd round pick is basically their whole draft. Why would they trade it for a backup OL? Wouldn't they just draft one in the 2nd round?

15. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

They could. However, only three centers in this drafr qualify as plug and play starters.

Only options that would be available to start though would be Garrett Bradbury, Chris Lindstrom and Dalton Risner. All three are top 50 selections. None of them will make it that far. Too many teams within the top 15 of both rounds need a center in the worst way.

Again though, this is not just about the pick. This is more so about the remaining time the Saints have with Brees. B.J. Finney was a finalist for the Remington Trophy. For that matter, he is a flex option within the Steelers offense. It is just that Ramon has been more hurt than Pouncey since 2016 onward.

16. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    We need to protect our qb so he can play 10 more years and own the interception record lol

Kidding kinda

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Right. The center they get in the 2nd would likely have more upside than Finney.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I'd do it in a second if we make them also take Tomlin and they can keep their draft pick..

19. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    This thread is based on nothing more than an "I wonder if" by a columnist. However, I will bite. Yes, I would be happy for the Saints to take Finney, and for us to receive their 2nd round pick when they don't match. That pick has an estimated 2019 cap hit of around $1 million (maybe a little less). We would pick up a 2nd rounder, which can used to pick up an interior offensive lineman with more long-term upside and save $2 million vs. the 2019 cap. Hell yeah I'd like that, and hell no the Saints won't do it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I could more likely see the Saints trading their 2nd for a 3rd and 4th (or something along this lines) and drafting an OL while gaining another pick.

21. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    If this trade could happen hell yeah in a second I would do it. We are talking about a back up for a 2nd rounder, um yeah no brainer for me. I love finney and I go back and watch the clip where he announces he was signed by the Steelers every once in awhile when I need a pick me up but I would make the trade. It will never happen so it is a lot easier to say yes to the trade.......lol

22. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    He’s got a long way to go to catch Bret Favre. He may not even pass Bradshaw, Joe Namath, John Elway, Drew Brees, Eli Manning, Peyton Manning, Dan Marino, or Johnny Unitas

• Like Like x 1
  23. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Can you imagine BJ Finney fetching more in return than AB? :lolol:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  24. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    This post made me go look it up and wow I would have thought Ben was higher then 32. He might break the top 20 if he plays a few more years but holy cow he will never catch Eli.........:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

• Like Like x 1
  25. LambertsDentist

LambertsDentist Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Offensive line depth is vital. Losing a starter quality backup would hurt.

This being said, matching this hypothetical offer only keeps Finney for 1 year at an inflated cap hit. I'd take the 2nd rounder who we can keep fot the next 4 years at the low cap hit.