1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Are the ex steelers ....

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by defva, Mar 12, 2019.

1. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Setting precedence again. I mean our beloved team maybe just unlucky to get caught in the crossfire. Both AB and Bell are changing the pay scale (guaranteed money)and how the NFL conduct business. And, this is under the NFL's players union contract.

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Been going on before our ex knuckle heads made waves. Just look at Gurlys contract.

And so far Bell hasn’t gotten an offer better than what the Steelers offered.

So I’d have to say no in answer to your question.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I hope bell gets super low offers lol

4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Pittsburgh wins this one. For that matter, Pittsburgh could win either way.

Either Bell signs with a team and Pittsburgh receievs a comp pick for next season. Keep in mind though that Kevin Colbert stated that he is not opposed to welcoming Le'Veon Bell back. Should that happen... oh my.

Again, the latter is the very least likely to happen as it stands currently. For that matter, I would not want him if I am Kevin Colbert. If the new initiative is to set and maintain a new atmosphere within the locker room, inviting problem childern is unthinkably counter productive.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. shadowmaker

shadowmaker Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    I am hoping for Kapernick 2.0. :hmm::beg::beg::beg:

• Like Like x 1
  6. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    They're not really changing the pay scale. The salary cap sets that. They 'may' be changing how that $ is doled out. More guaranteed money will likely mean more 'dead' money over time. But teams will have to think abut how they want to spent their cap money, and if more will end up as dead money, they'll have to prioritize how they spent it. It's easy to 'give' a guy a big number contract when you know the last 3yrs of it wont matter if the player doesn't work out. But if you know you'll have to actually pay more of that funny money, and it comes out of your cap space, you'll have to choose carefully.
    But the cap is the cap, it's a zero sum game for the players, some will win, some will lose, same for owners.

7. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    He should have came back imo. I thi k he could have at least gotten that from us at this point but idk. My guess is he just didnt want to he back in Pittsburgh. Maybe he didnt like Ben either idk.

8. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Nothing special about our ex players.... look at new England’s, their OT went to Oakland for a sick amount of money for a lineman. It’s the bad owners and desperate teams that help rewrite the shape of future contracts.

9. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    It doesn't matter if Bell signs a deal for a tenth of what the Steelers offered. You don't win when arguably one of the best RBs in the league goes somewhere else.

Both parties lost here.

10. 4124life

4124life Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2018
    Oh this is because of Ben too ? lol. Stop it. That would be pretty feminine of him. Bell and brown forgot their skirts in their Steelers lockers.

11. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    I'm just guessing lol or maybe people dont like the front office. But I dont see why we couldn't match that deal. Especially with AB gone.

12. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    If your talking about Salder he went to the giants on a 80M deal then flopped big time in 2018, they traded their leading edge rusher chandler jones to the cards and he led the nfl in sacks but they didnt spend 80 plus million to keep him nor did they contemplate using the franchise tag on either one of them, and still they won a superbowl without them,it proves you dont have to break the bank to keep over priced players to win, if the coaching is solid with the players you find to fill your roster.....

13. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    None of those guys except Chandler Jones are even looked at as elite talent. Plus NE system makes a lot of players look better than they are. With the exception of moss and gronk they've never had guys who were great individual talents on offense. And bill belichick is not comparable to anyone else so you cant try to use his coaching as a set standard for what you do.

14. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Wish granted :lolol:

15. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    I'm talking Trent Brown.... this year, highest paid OT in history...... an offensive tackle got more money than a triple threat Rapper/RB/WR2 that recently was reported to sign with the jets for the same 4 years.... 14m less overall.... and less guaranteed money too.

16. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    He sat out all year. He didn't want to show his face again in the Burgh. At that point, he's tail tucked between legs and run.

The plan didn't work out as expected, and he'd look like an idiot for the decision he made.

The Jets were teetering on withdrawing the offer to Bell as he tinkered with them also per reports.

17. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    They were about to but I think they said hey its NY we need a big name here. Kinda what the raiders did with AB..they were going to Vegas and needed a big name to be there. That factored into their decision making there. Two far larger markets than Pittsburgh. Imo I thought he wanted a contract that had at least 30 million up front. Not rolled over but there the moment he signed. If he did want to reset the market and all that it wasnt going to happen although he did get more upfront money than Gurley and will make more than Gurley in the first 2 years. I dont even know if he would have reset the market last offseason if he was a free agent I dont ever see a rb getting super big long term paydays. Wont happen due to the shelf life of the position.