1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

NFL Free Agency thread

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Mar 11, 2019.

1. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Well said. When I say the Rooney's are cheap this is what I mean. Even the Packers who used to be Steeler like are changing their ways in free agency supposedly going after three big free agents.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    They did sign some big free agents in the past as well. Reggie white and Charles Woodson. Both helped them get rings.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    To be fair, the Brown situation does make the team look a little cheap. While the Steelers took a big cap hit by trading Brown, they actually saved a significant mount of real dollars that the team won't have to spend now.

4. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    Exactly. Yes Bell and Brown are a couple d*cks and for the most part I'm glad they're gone. But at same time we just lost two big talents in part because this team is so hell bent on doing things the old fashioned way and never evolving with the rest of the league.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Not really sure why anyone thinks we are in any position to make any big splash free agent deals, we don't have much cap room, and they still need to keep enough to sign draft picks in the coming months. And as far as the Steelers 'NOT' paying their players, then please explain why we are continually up against the salary cap? We pay our players, but everyone can't be the highest paid at their position on the whole roster, year in and year out. They just made Pouncey the highest paid center in the league.... it lasted a couple days.

6. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    If you search threads:

9/6/16 in the thread Antonio Brown vs. Josh Norman. This was before Norman’s Redskins debut. You’ll see that I said Norman is a zone corner, and not capable of matching up with Brown in man coverage. Rereading the thread from back then, I see a lot of posters calling out Norman as a zone corner or “system” corner. Props to Blast for really nailing it in that thread. Note - I did like Norman as a zone corner, but a zone-only corner is not worth big dollars because his individual limitations dictate scheme limitations. Gilmore was and is a more scheme diverse corner, and has more value.

3/4/17 in the thread “Kirkpatrick” where is said if we’re going to splurge at corner, I’d rather get Gilmore.

If you care to dig, you will find that I thought Gilmore’s contract was too high at the time. I wanted him, but I did balk at the $65 million with $31 million guaranteed at signing. So I guess if you want to say that I’m calling his contract ok market value now as hindsight, well ok there’s that. Sort of. I’ve moderated my stance on big free agent contracts overall - as long as they’re not the frenzied overpayments like we always see in the first few days. I don’t remember how much I was willing to pay for Gilmore, but it was probably no more than $10-11 million/year on average.

• Like Like x 1
  7. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    No we arent right now. But the thing is more of the big name stars wont stay with us. Also it's very rare in this era of the NFL for a team to build just solely from the draft and sign no other big name free agents. The Patriots dont even do it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Man these contracts are straight us nuts, in a year or two most of these guys will get cut and that is why I don't like the way this is set up. Seriously give an ILB 17 mil a year that is almost QB money. Also look at Eric Weddle we were hard after him and he chose to to to the Rats. The Rats cut him and he is a FA, I am gonna guess if he signed here he would still be here, jmo.

As for the Way the Steelers spend well they do sign their own guys. Made Pouncey the highest paid, gave Foster more money....Cam.....Tuitt....AV...DD...Ben! They just don't spend top dollar of FA, now you can say they need to choose better players I get it but you can't have it both ways. Guys like Burnett and Bostic are good signings not great but we do need more. jmo

• Like Like x 1
  9. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Is there hope we get Justin Houston? Also when do we start making some offers to guys? Shane Ray, Shaq Barrett, Clay Matthews, Deone Bucannon, Bradley Roby, Pierre Desir, Glover Quin, George IIoka and Clayton Geathers are all guys I feel could be in our price range.

10. IZONUFOTO

IZONUFOTO Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Can you guys even give a guess as to what Shaziers Contract woulda been had he not been hurt...I'm thinking close to 100 Mil for 5 with 50 guaranteed

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I have a feeling Desir is going to be a $50-60 million man in a few days. We’ll see. I’m not liking Shane Ray. I really liked him coming out of school, and he’s been a big let down despite opportunities.

I am on the Barrett bandwagon. I think 4/35 with 10-12 guaranteed would do it. Then cut Bud!

12. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    The thing is we have to cut Dud now cause tomorrow he is locked in at 9 mil which some here(well actually just one) said he won't get.:thumbs up:

13. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    There's cap money which is from league revenue and there's guaranteed cash which from my understanding is mostly owners pockets. So if they're constantly up against the cap it's partly because they aren't utilizing guaranteed money to lower the yearly salary and the cap hit.

14. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Not my job to back up your claims. That's your job.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  15. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Sport News‏ @MagaSportsNews
    Just got off the phone with LeVeon. Bells agent he told me. It wasn’t that hard of a decision, his heart said Baltimore is where I want to be. He’ll play the Steelers twice a year [​IMG], sources tell us.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  16. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    who cares its not like we have a bad run defense

or pass defense

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  17. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    eremy Fowler‏Verified account @JFowlerESPN
    Steelers are involved in the receiver market. They've inquired on several, including Tyrell Williams. Could settle on second-tier player market depending on price, but it wouldn't surprise if they signed a new playmaker for Ben Roethlisberger.

18. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Its not. I recall Elvis lamenting the Norman signing.

Also, Elvis probably watches more film than just about anyone else on this board. Not just short film clips posted to you tube but actually whole games that he tapes. You can bet he's telling the truth about his evaluation.

• Like Like x 1
  19. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  20. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    WOW..........

Mike Klis‏Verified account @MikeKlis
    Spoke to Bradley Roby. He turned down 3-year offer from Steelers and 1-year offer from 49ers to take one-year, $10 Mil deal with Texans. Browns were also in for a while. Roby: "It's a prove it deal. I feel like I should go back in (the market) while I'm still young.'' #9sports

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  21. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Being reported its down to Ravens or Jets. I'd be shocked if its not the Jets, they can outbid the Ravens and we all know Bell is all about the money. I don't think the revenge factor of playing the Steelers twice a year would be enough for him to turn down $

22. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
  23. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Ha! I remember when “prove it” deals were near the vet minimum. I think he’s doing the right thing if he’s confident in his ability to rebound, and hopefully show he can play outside. He’s been a heck of a slot corner in the past, but whenever I’ve watched him outside he was less effective.

24. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
  25. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    The speculation is that the Ravens were never part of the process..... just Bell and his agent trying to fabricate other team interest to force the Jets hand.

• Agree Agree x 1