1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Go hard after Golden Tate

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Mar 10, 2019.

1. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    But you said if you have a franchise qb you have a chance. That's a general statement. You didnt specify ben. He is great but he's never been that guy that could carry us with an average to above average team.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    If the team is trying to win 1 more before Ben goes away, then it makes more sense to sign a good free agent than to play the guessing game with a draft pick. ( MT sucks and so does the D, they won't be winning anything anytime soon) I'd say sign nobody and get MT and Ben the hell out of here and start fresh.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    You can't do that. Do you have any idea how hard it is to get a QB of Ben's quality even at this stage of his career? There are teams who haven't had this caliber of QB in 20 years! You can't fire Tomlin eother, even though I hold him mainly accountable for the cluster-fuk, it would take 3 years to get back to 10-13 wins under a new coach and by then Ben is gone.

4. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I think a vet WR needs to be brought in as opposed to relying on a very young JuJu and Washington. It's just a position that needs that vet intelligence to keep the offense going.

I agree with Elvis and like John Brown as well. The only thing with Tate is if he is really looking for 10mil. If KC wasn't so lackadaisical (as he seems to be in the media) about signing Bud Dupree at a ridiculous 9mil then I'd be ok with giving Tate some extra money. Say if Bud went for 6mil which I think is about where he is valued.

John Brown had a 1 year deal for 5mil last year just for comparison.

5. steelpens

steelpens Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2019
    :lolol:

6. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Steelers don't have the $$$ to sign Tate. There's too many holes on the defense, where the limited money should be spent, IMO.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I think @SC Gamecock and I were looking for him to fill between the holes. ;)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    With 16 mil of space and so many holes I am not using 10 of that 16 on my 2-3 wr. I agree we need a vet to help these guys but we don't need to spend 10 mil on one. jmo

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. SSylvester

SSylvester Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Agree with this.

10. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Wish the Steelers could get Larry Fitzgerald for 2 years. Instant upgrade to WR corps in talent and attitude.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Tate is a slot WR, the Steelers need a outside WR :shrug:.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Either way, the Steelers will have to do some restructuring and/or cutting if they want to compete this year. Too many needs and not enough budget to retool.

13. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I agree but that don’t mean we spend big money on our #2-3 Wr we are gonna have to spend money someplace but imo we is not the spot.

14. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Yes it would be an upgrade in talent and attitude.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Considering the amount there currently is to spend, you're right.
    This team just isn't that close anymore. Too much major talent lost in a very short period of time.
    I keep hearing "they didn't win anything with AB and Bell". That certainly wasn't due to AB and Bell's production.
    Then there's the loss of Shazier from a just okay LB core, and the secondary not being reliable from the start.
    Filling those voids with the current cap situation and draft position isn't going to happen in one off season.
    This isn't directed at you NY STEELERFAN, just my general thoughts on the situation.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    There are moves to be made and some that are coming in the next few days that will provide more cap space. I'm not sure about these needs and holes every one is talking about when most of them are fan assessment's of the current starters who could be upgraded but not necessarily. What holes are people talking about? Dupree? Can be addressed in the draft or via FA for the right price. ILB? They will try to resign Fort and draft one of the top guys, Vincenzo will still be here along with Bostic unless they cut bait, could also upgrade with a vet. If the draft another safety this board will explode. Starting corner opposite Hayden will be interesting. They have 4 guys that have been in the system that they basically have to decide what are they going to do. Burnett wants out. Might need one depth guy on the DL. 10 draft picks and 18+ of cap to start with is good starting place.

17. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    You've listed a lot of needs there, which could be filled via draft and FA, but it's not going to happen in one season. I think the Steelers will be competitive next season, but they won't be geared up to make a run.

18. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    No problem man and I totally agree especially the part about people saying we didn’t win nothing with them. I mean we lost to the jag offs two years ago and scored 42 points.....just saying. I am not sure what moves the Steelers plan on doing but there are ones that can be made to free up money. We are still about 3-5 days away from the Steelers time frame when it comes to free agency. We are never big players but I hope we do spend a little and grab a key player or two.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Don't have the luxury of saying that anymore. Just lost the best WR in the game, you can bet that WR is high on their list. If they don't pick a good one up in FA, don't be surprised if they spend a 1st rd pick on one, definitely no later than the 2nd.

They are several pieces away from a good defense but just 1 piece from remaining a great offense. They will still need to rely on the offense to win games.

He plays inside and out. Had 1007 yards on the outside in 2016. Seems like he can play there :shrug:

20. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The Steelers might be 16 million under the cap, I don't see them giving 10-12 million a year to a WR.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    They probably won't do anything, maybe the usual basement bargain but they should.

They could make more cap room.

22. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Team doesn't spend enough. Have to stick with getting players in the draft who have no grounds to ask for big guranteed moeny.

23. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017

Agreed

They Tate has even reached out to the Steelers apparently. Would be HUGE IMO.

They have two young wide receivers drafted high with Ju Ju probably next up to get the big contract. Have to go other positions early in the draft this year IMO.

24. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Yeah I know, I love when the Steelers put the screws to these chumps.

25. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    You are right on all of this, they will do something but it won't be until a week into FA. They can make space but in their eyes giving Bud 9 mil is ok. We need a starting CB CS is a FA, we also now need a TE....RB....Olineman....Dline.....and yeah WR. All that is considering Bostic, VW, Davis, Burnett and Hawkins are all coming back as starters which most will agree is not an upgrade.

We should spend on a vet WR cause that is the direction the NFL is going but we just can't with our cap space as it is right now. I know you aren't high on Washington and I am but he wasn't drafted in the 2nd round to just not be a player. I have no problem bringing in a guy like Benjamin who has proven to be a good WR(2000 yds in his first 2 seasons) and draft a guy in the first 4 rounds to be a burner there are tons in this draft. You don't have to spend money to be good you need to find fits to your team and IMO, Benjamin could be that and let's not forget we are talking about him being a 3rd wr. :smiley1: