1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

CAP SPACE

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by NY STEELERFAN, Mar 10, 2019.

1. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Im not a fan of the edmunds pick but I’ll let this year show what he really has.

2. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    True but they can work out a new contract which would bring down the figure I believe. In any case he should be playing for another team next season, rescind the option. He just isn't what this team needs. He is weak at the point of attack, gets pushed past the QB multiple times, plays patty cake with anyone he gets engaged with, late to the play standing there like a baffon and is not that great in coverage. Paying this player would be mindless. They can find some hungry bad@ss in the 3rd round. Plus we still have Ola. They should bring back Chickillo. At least he has a constant motor. Mark my words we have seen the best which isn't saying much out of Dupree.

3. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Just see CKs definition of a Dud below.....

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Who would that be?

5. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Looks like OTC updated the trades and here is what we have now: Team Cap Space: $16,468,259

6. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    That’s not very much once you factor in the rookie contracts.Better get to restructuring. If I’m the Steelers I’m taking things one year at a time. This playing both sides of the fence isn’t working. We have some young guys but this is a veteran team that is built to win now. If we are headed to Armageddon after Ben like so many are afraid of we should be pulling out all the stops.
    My first order of business would be cutting Dupree and bringing in Houston on a 1year slightly overpriced deal starting with the 9 mil. they were gonna pay him. He would be a win for now stop gap until some of the young OLBs or draft pick are ready. If he performs well we would have more cap room next year to re sign him. You wanna win now or toil in mediocrity?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    The 5th option is only for injury untill the new league year starts, teams make their 5th option players available for trades too, so maybe dupree will be gone before his 5th year option is guaranteed

Fifth-year options are guaranteed for injury only between May 3 and the start of the following league year. As such, they’re not entirely risk-free, but as long as the player remains healthy, a team could exercise his fifth-year option, then cut him before his option year gets underway without being on the hook for his salary. When the league year begins, the player’s fifth-year salary becomes guaranteed for skill and cap purposes, as well as injury.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...tion-a-growing-trend-plus-more-insider-notes/

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
  8. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Nope not much at all but more than we are use to lol. The way I understand things you keep 5 mil for the rookie class so now we are really at 11 mil. Many here talk about cuts and freeing up money and some very good points. There is money to free up but we also have to replace players and I love the Houston option. I would love to sign him and draft a guy in the 4-5 rounds like Hollins to learn from him.

There has been a lot of talk about going all in for Bens last few years, I agree. Let’s get the players we need and make a run at #7 while we still have #7. Jmo.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Danthesteelersman

Danthesteelersman Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2018
    according to over the cap, cutting Bud does not save the 9 mil as it would be dead money .

10. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Correct he has to be cut before the new year starts or else his contract is guaranteed