1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Go hard after Golden Tate

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Mar 10, 2019.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    The 3rd and 5th round picks for Brown leaves them in a sticky situation. The need for CB or ILB is too great not to use the first two picks on.

With an extra first or second rd pick for AB, they could have gotten a top flight receiver but not sure what will still be there in the 3rd.

They probably would have needed to bring in a FA regardless but now I think they have no choice but to spend big to bring Tate here.

He would be a great fit on this team.

Of course, you never know how a board will break, it's quite possible that a WR in the first will happen.

2. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
  3. Jares

Jares Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2016
    I just got done reading about the trade. We were asking for a first rounder and instead the best we could get was a third and a fifth? I guess my drought of waiting to see the Steelers have more than one first round pick continues. That fifth is basically useless. This is Santonio Holmes all over again except this time we get a third too. Amari Cooper was worth a first rounder and we don't get one for Brown who is a lot better? Sorry, I'm just not happy about this at all. I know I am no expert in finacial restrictions and all that, but I just have no faith in the front office anymore.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I believe we need a veteran receiver to play opposite JuJu. I am not willing to take my chances on a rookie coming in and instantly starting. Look at Washington. He struggled mightily. Sometimes it takes a year or two for rookies to get it. We don't have that kind of time when your QB is in his late 30s.

Golden Tate makes perfect sense. For once lets not spend our Free Agency money at KMart. Tate is a guy that has never played with a quarterback the caliber of Ben. I think the combo of JuJu and Tate can be almost as deadly as when AB was here.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I have zero interest in Tate mostly cause how much he will cost. Now we have two 3rds I fully expect a WR in the 2nd and I am fine with that. Deebo Samuel is my guy but if we miss out on him this draft i loaded. I am not a Campbell fan but with his performance at the combine he may get pushed up dropping a guy down. Besides Samuel I have no problem with Harmon, Ridley, HArmon or Isabella as 2nd round guys. Others who I would like better than Tate are Sills, Hall, Hardman, Godwin, Renfrow & Butler after the 2nd round.

I am also looking for a cheap vet that wants to come here. D. Thomas has made money and is coming off injury does he come here to finish his career and a shot at a ring? I also like Kelvin Benjamin on a low risk deal. He has talent caught over 2000 yds his first 2 years in the league and might need a fresh start. Tavon Austin offers HR speed, Adam Humphries may get bigger money but worth a look at. The same thing about Funchess getting bigger money but worth a look, D'Anthony Thomas may also be worth a look. There are deals out there no way do I want to spend bigger money on Tate! We have Juju and Washington ready to take the next step and Ben loves Juju so it is time to give him the spot light and add supporting cast around him. Draft a guy and bring in a vet with high upside and we are set. jmo

6. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
  7. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    7 year age difference.

8. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Rooney made the best decision in moving on. Didn't win one with AB, will win another without him. I hope we can do it before Big Ben goes.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  9. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    You don't like Tate but all those players you do? I'm sick of kmart shopping. No thanks.

Bring a quality FA in here for a change. Wouldn't miss AB at all.

11. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    Holy $*** I’ve always called him the same thing :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

12. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Were a pair of sick bastards then. :roflmao:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    The feeling when your team is becoming the new raiders

A493263B-641A-4D23-9E5A-50226DC9229C.gif

14. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

7 year age difference and 10% of the buffoonery.

15. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Tate wants on a team thats a contender:

Tate can get a offer north of $10 million in free agency, but it wouldn't be surprising if he would take a discount for a shot at another Super Bowl.

Spotrac projects Tate will make an average annual value at $10.2 million a year, setting his market value at three years, $30.6 million in his next contract. That's far higher than the five-year, $31 million contract Tate signed with the Detroit Lions in 2014, a contract he clearly outperformed.

16. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I don't like Tate at the money he is gonna want. I get the kmart joke and agree but if we keep paying guys like Bud 9 mil we are always gonna be in this situation. It isn't like we need a number one guy isn't that what everyone is saying Juju is and I am a big fan of Washington so there is our 1 & 2 now lets sign a 3 or 4 at that money no?

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Frost33

Frost33 Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2014
    People comparing the Cooper trade for a 1st and the Brown trade need to look at the fact that the Cowboys had to go big or they wouldn't get him. They wanted to make the play-offs and were willing to pay that price. The Raiders didn't have to let Cooper go, they were willing to keep him. This is totally different, Brown is burning the bridge while standing on it. The Raiders didn't need to trade for him, they were clearly willing to just walk away and let Brown stay where he was. On top of that, Cooper wasn't a basket case leading up to the trade. Brown poisoned the waters for the Steelers.

Depending on price, I think Tate makes perfect sense for the Steelers to bring in opposite of JuJu. Washington is too big of a risk to count on as the #2 at this point. But it all depends on price. I think the the fact the draft is so deep at WR helps the Steelers and keep the price a bit lower.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. jimmyallen45

jimmyallen45 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I am furious and disappointed about this whole trade situation. He was worthy of a #1 pick, and they traded with a team with plenty of them, and got back basically 10 cents on the dollar. An embarrassment. This franchise has hit a 30 year low.

Ok, that's been said.

Now, to move on.

A guy I like that I don't know if others have mentioned- is

Breshad Perriman.

Go look at what he did for the Browns in the second half of the season. He'd be a bargain, and I believe haunt both the Browns and Ravens for years to come.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Lets figure out the touches,
    JuJu 90
    Conner 70
    Wash 50
    Mcdonald 60
    sameuels 30
    Switzer 40
    James/ 30
    New wide receiver 55 catches

If we get back to a more team friendly running game instead of Ben
    throwing so much and to the other team like he does we should be good
    with a Wr that could provide 50-60 catches per year.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  20. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    More like...

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  21. jimmyallen45

jimmyallen45 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012

• Like Like x 2
  22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    AB is a better WR than JuJu and you want to saddle him with less talent across from him than AB had?

Washington is far too unproven and I think those other guys you listed are bums, no offense.

I’d be very disappointed if that’s the level of FA they bring in. Now can they afford Tate? I have no idea, that’s Khan and Colbert’s job to figure out. I’m just a fan that throws out ideas and hopes for the best :smiley1:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  24. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    No way do I got after Tate for $10+ million/year. We need someone who can get vertical and force safeties away from guys like JuJu and Vance. Tate is a possession receiver. While he’s a very good receiver, he’s going to his best work underneath and in the mid range - just like JuJu and Vance (and Switzer + Rogers if he’s brought back). JW was a vertical threat in college, but has yet to prove it in the pros.

I’d rather John Brown cheaper, and use the monetary difference to get better defensive talent. Maybe Donte Moncrief.

• Agree Agree x 7
  25. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Agree. Tate and his 10 mil. Is not the answer. See my Conley post. He fits what we're looking for. I like Moncrief as well....

• Agree Agree x 1