1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

AB

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Disco1981, Dec 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    It has ZERO to do with pride, and everything to do with the sanctity of a contract. A team pays up front money as part of the overall compensation for what a player is expected to do for the term of that contract. If a player can just make a nuisance of himself and get released or traded for very little compensation, it just sets up the next one, and the next, etc. That hurts the league, and it ALSO hurts players in the long run. Let’s see if you can follow some simple logic: if what AB is doing becomes standard practice, players in the NFL will be hurt in the long run bely teams paying less up front money in the future because they won’t be able to trust that players will uphold their end of the bargain. Contracts are commitments, and both parties are expected to uphold their end. The up front money and salary guarantees are what players get in exchange for being in a situation where they can be cut or traded if they end up not being of value to the team. I have no problem with players getting the most they can in up front bonuses and guaranteed salaries, but once they get what both sides agree to, that’s the deal. Period. Everybody loses if AB prevails in this situation.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    That's also why the players do what they do to get those contracts such as holdout. Teams cut or come to the players and ask for paycuts 2-3 years into the deal when some of them have no off the field problems. Why is that considered ok?

3. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    It’s called “real life.” In most jobs, you can be let go if you don’t perform. The guaranteed money that the players agree to in their contracts is what’s guaranteed. The rest is not. Just like in real life, if their performance isn’t good enough, they can be let go. If their performance is good enough, they likely won’t be let go. If their performance is good, and they get released, they become free agents and get an opportunity to test the market.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I think part of the problem is you're equating it to real life. The money that any pro athlete makes isn't "real" life to 98% of the rest of the world. Put it in context compared to MLB and NBA they aren't being cut without getting paid and there's no chance they are taking a pay cut no matter the performance.

5. Yogi4

Yogi4 Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    If this is true then here we go again. This $hit has to stop.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    For people that say you should always side with the players during CBA negotiations, remember this jack a**.

7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Don't, don't get sucked into the blackhole. His point has nothing to do with yours, that it sets a terrible precedent to release players for acting out. Especially when that is the outcome the player wants so he is no longer bound by his contract and can sign for more money elsewhere.

If AB doesn't want the rest of his 21 million, let him retire and get a real life job. Maybe Chick Fill A is hiring, him and Bell can work together, Bell rapping and AB dancing while they cook chicken. Or maybe AB wants to bust his ass on a construction site for 12 hours every day. He would quit before the end of the day.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    I don't want Ben to sign an extension. At some point the Steelers need to move on from him as well.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  9. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Jags just cleared $30 mil in cap space. They recently got Foles. Could they be a late bidder for AB?

10. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    They haven't gotten Foles yet.

11. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    LOL at the concept of "sanctity of a contract" when it comes to the NFL.

12. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    Well if the deal as reported with the Bills was true, i.e. Brown and the 20th pick for the Bills' 9th pick, and assuming it was the best deal on the table, the draft value chart has that worth 500 pts. That's the equivalent of the 40th pick in the draft. So one can assume that the next best offer was worse than that. The Raiders' 35th would be pretty good given the circumstances, imo.

13. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Sounding like more and more the best answer would be to lock all parties up in a room with Dr. Phil at this point....:hehehe:

14. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    You're comparing an apple to an orange. In what you call "real Life" (most jobs), if you don't like an employer, you can go to it's competitor. In the NFL, you can't leave and can be cut during the contract without penalty to the team. You are correct about the guaranteed money though.

15. SteelerBark

SteelerBark Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Someone trading for Antonio Clown now seems far fetched.

Wonder if Mr. Trade Me & Find Out would be willing to void his contract and all monies owed by the Steelers. He walks as a FA and the Steelers get more salary cap space.

Or is that even legal? Just thinking outside the box.

16. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    It depends on the job. Some jobs in competitive businesses will have a “no compete” clause in your employment agreement/offer that limits your ability to go to a competitor for a period of time if you leave before a certain amount of time. I’ve personally managed to avoid that situation (though I almost took an offer that had a no compete). If you get a sign-on bonus with a new employer, you will generally have to agree to pay back a prorated share of the bonus if you leave early. I’ve dealt with that a few times - both myself and for people who worked under me.

It’s more a spectrum of different types of apples than apples to oranges. Employment contracts are going to have protection for the employer. I do understand that most jobs don’t have these types of employment contracts or requirements, but there are many that do have those requirements besides multi-million dollar pro athlete contracts. All of them are generally going to allow for termination for under-performance. In fact, unlike NFL contracts, if a person who received a sign on bonus is canned for under-performance, that person may owe the prorated portion of the bonus back to the employer.

I fully understand that there are differences with the NFL. However there are many similarities.

17. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    If he’s cut it does void all money owed by the Steelers. The issue is money already paid by the Steelers in signing and restructuring bonuses. If he’d refund all of that, I’d be more comfortable with him being cut.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Not many "real life" jobs have no compete clauses. I'm a former HR, Labor Relations and Union guy, so I understand your point but under-performance is always based on a predetermined metric and can easily be enforced based on that expectation. Also, in most cases where no compete clauses are involved, there is a built in buyout clause as well.

The NFL has a really strange CBA, unlike NBA and MLB (don't know about NHL). Their contracts are almost 100% guaranteed if they are cut.

19. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Thing is if we keep him and AB is not going to give his all, try to mend the fences, and be all in with the team than I dont want him to stay. More trouble than it's worth. He has already shown the drastic effect he could have on a team..

20. Da_Cranberry

Da_Cranberry Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2018
    Foles is going to cost $20mil+ a year, they won’t be able to afford AB. Not to mention the defense upgrades they need and having some rookie contracts that will be up.

21. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    He led the league in passing yards last year. Maybe start thinking beyond Ben when he starts sucking.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  22. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    What happens if AB finds out there is no team that wants to renegotiate his deal? What then?

23. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Then his lying mouth will catch up to him. If I am Colbert, I tell AB, you keep this **** up, you are not making **** this coming year.

24. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    This is exactly what I've been saying. The Steelers made that mistake with Blount. They are making it again with Brown. I'm also a teacher. Maybe that's why I see it, too.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Exactly. The only cards Brown can play are retirement or refusing to report. Neither of those get him paid.

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.