1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

AB

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Disco1981, Dec 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I'm not sure, which is why I prefaced it with "I believe." I know they definitely take the cap hit if they trade or release him.

2. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Listening to local radio today, they seem to think that by him sabagoting the deal, that they can now come after AB to recoup some signing bonus money. I also heard Florio and Simms talking about this the other day. They said that a lot of players don’t realize this. They think that their signing bonus money is theirs and untouchable but that’s not the case. The player still has to perform in the teams best interest. It was talked about that the Steelers have been fair and open with him and have negotiated in with him in good faith and had a deal that he killed and that because of this, they should be able to recoup some of that money. I would love if this were possible. Hit Mr Thin Skin right in his wallet and watch how fast he changes his tune.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    How is any deal gonna get done then? Why do we have to cater to him.

If he want to play football next year he better take what he gets.

4. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Agreed. This isn’t just a Steelers issue, it cuts at the heart of the sanctity of player contracts. When bonus money is paid up front, the player has future obligations tied to that up front payment. I have no doubt that the Steelers can play mega-hardball with AB and recover bonus money and prevent him from playing elsewhere. The league would have to throw their legal support behind the Steelers because if the Steelers lose, the league’s ability to enforce contractual commitments becomes almost unbelievably damaged. AB is hurting himself far more than he realizes. This is going to end very badly for him if the team cannot get reasonable trade compensation.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Who knows?? These are just the current facts of the situation. I don't think we need to cater to him; as mentioned above, I hope the Steelers play hard ball and let him know if he craps on a potential deal, then he's going nowhere and he'll have to suck it up and play in Pittsburgh or get fined every day he doesn't show up.

6. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    They could bench him but then it's like your paying a guy 20+ million to sit on the bench? I'm sure AB would be ok with that. Just wouldnt look right considering how they carried the bell situation.

7. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    I'm only guessing he is playing hard ball because the team wont just cut him and knows if he stays he could half ass and still get that 20+ million.

8. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    I just dont see this ending well.:facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. leveraged

leveraged Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    It's time to litigate.

Buckle up, this moron is going to be in the news for a while.

We lost all leverage on a 1st rounder. They may settle for a 3rd rounder just to get rid of this hemorrhoid.

That or he'll be sitting next season making nonsensical videos for $500/per to pay his legal fees and child support.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    Fair value is what someone is willing to pay. You can think you live in a $200K house, but if the best offer you get is $150K then guess what? Your house is worth $150K.

AB's value is what other teams are offering. No more, no less.

If you trade him for whatever, you alleviate the cap hit and get rid of this cancer now. Not sometime at the end of the next season or whenever, but right now. He becomes someone else's asset, which in my mind means someone else's problem which is what he is for the Steelers right now. His baggage is weightier than his talent.

11. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    Only if we were talking about someone who could be self-reflective and somewhat grounded in reality. That's not who the Steelers are dealing with.

12. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Here's who I'd hire to square the deal........... upload_2019-3-8_10-40-4.jpeg [​IMG]

13. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    You've got a guy who thinks he is building a brand and wants to be treated with respect. Being benched does not fit into Brown's plans.

14. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    I went to put on my Steelers sweatshirt today and I decided against it. That's how frustrated I am as a fan with the situation.

15. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    That simply is not true. His value isn't less just because teams see the messed up situation and lowball. You're just twisting the definition of value because you are so desperate to have him gone that you don't care if the Steelers hurt their own franchise in the process of getting rid of him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 2
  17. Remahlehs

Remahlehs Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2018
    Based on the Owens debacle, team suspension or deactivation may be our best course of action if we cannot trade him. The precedent has already been set.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/11/23/AR2005112301409.html?noredirect=on

Replace Owens with Brown and Eagles with Steelers, and you have a near parallel story.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Hahahhaha. Lack of execution over 7 years is a coaching problem. And the Steelers only had kicking problems this last year. What was it before?

Excuses have run out on Mike Tomlin. He better hope the QB he never put on the roster saves his ass when Ben is gone, because if he doesnt play well, look for 4-12 seaeons.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. FeedTheMachineFTM

FeedTheMachineFTM Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    He's really just painting himself into a corner ,does he not realize he has no leverage here ..I don't understand this guys stance ..

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    a) They'll help the franchise by getting rid of him, not hurt it.
    b) You're conflating value with talent. Value, in this case, is the overall package, and his value is far less than his talent. He's demanding a new contract and is a demonstrated major pain in the ass. The messed up situation as you call it is exactly why there are few teams willing to pay what his talent demands. That's his value.
    c) A lowball offer is one that is far below the price the market has set. When all the offers are lower than you want, they're not all lowballing you. That's the market value.
    d) I bet you think your house is worth a lot more too!

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
  21. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Truth but I dont believe it's nothing going forward he can say after what he has done that would make the steelers give him respect. That bridge is burned in my opinion. So respect might not be in that equation. His brand could be but his brand at this point is already built.

22. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Interesting take.
    I can see beyond the obvious, but a lot of times the obvious tells the story pretty complete. Like challenge flags, which is completely decided by Tomlin. Watching the game from my couch I can see after one replay (and sometimes live) that a play shouldn't be challenged with about a 90% accuracy rate. Tomlin's working on about 10% the last couple seasons.
    Clock management, one of a head coach's most critical jobs. You know the rest.
    If you want to break it down into wins and losses, this team went from 2014 wild card loss to 2015 wild card win, divisional loss to 2016 wild card win, division win, conference championship loss to 2017 (the 3 loss season you pointed out) division loss to 2018 no playoffs. That's called trending downward.
    I agree that Tomlin's approach has to change on many levels, and probably the front office too.
    My problem is there have been no indications that it will.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
  24. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    He’s hurting his brand in a big way. When most football fans think of Terrell Owens, they think more about the diva than the football player. I know because I recently had a conversation with numerous football fans and a mention of Owens brought up all of the negative without a single acknowledgement of his talent as a WR. Memories of the player on the field will fade, and he’ll be remembered most for being a moronic diva by most fans. He’s certainly alienating Steeler nation, and we’ve been his biggest supporters.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    True but in the end terrell did get in the hall of fame. He wasnt first ballot like he should have been but he got in before a lot of other receivers had the chance to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.