1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

AB

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Disco1981, Dec 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ytownsteeler

Ytownsteeler Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2015
    Last straw here if I am the steelers. If no deal of a 2nd round or better and AB(idiot) does not agree to it.....no trade ever. .......He can rot on the bench and be suspended for conduct detrimental to the team every time he acts up. I dont like the idea of caving in to his trade demands anyway. He is NOT a free agent. He owes us three years and already collected the signing bonus. We are setting a bad example. We have to pay 20 million if he leaves anyway. I am tired of this BS charade his agent is pushing him to do to get a new contract.

• Agree Agree x 4
  2. Da_Cranberry

Da_Cranberry Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2018
    Exactly bro, at this point just get rid of him to whoever give us the best pick. Maybe he becomes so much of a cancer we still a draft pick from them like they did to us with blount. If anyone can destroy that team chemistry it's AB

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Steelcitian

Steelcitian Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2017
    he don't need football...football needs him

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  4. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    No because unlike the Steelers the Patriots cut players at the first sign of trouble. This wouldn't be some long drawn out thing if AB had did this to NE he would have been CUT. They wouldn't care about being compensated they would have let him go.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. Hoot

Hoot Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2018
    I have no doubt the team is compiling a list of his "transgressions" for this use or other (e.g. if this goes to some sort of arbitration). There is no value to the team to take any sort of penal action at this time. Right now, continue to try to find a dance partner and do a good deal for the team. If AB continues to meddle, you document it and then go after it when you decide a trade can't be done.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Make him stay and don't play. Make up a new award for the best receiver on the team each week and he will come back and play because he won't be able to stand it.:shrug::cool:

7. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    I don`t get why management did not ask Brown to cough up a list of teams he would not play for. What good is negotiating only to have him throw shade on the team you are talking to?

8. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    AB doesn't have a say where he is traded, it wasn't written into his contract that he had to agree to the trade.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    How do you know what team he will commit to and won't? If you get AB pre 2018 its well worth the pick. They still have 2 other first rounders.

I haven't seen the Buffalo story, I'll have to go look it up.

10. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Players hear irritating questions from reporters all the time. They can answer them or say they won't talk about it.That is not a concern worth worrying about.

It's not about spite. I've explained my point many times over. If you didn't bother to read it, you really shouldn't go assigning motivations to what I posted.

Not getting proper value hurts the team in many ways. The most important is that it gives the impression that any player who is unhappy for any reason can just start acting like a jackass to force his way out of town. If the Steelers make moves that are not in their best interest to accommodate such nonsense, they are setting themselves up for more and more of such behavior. It's time to draw a line.

By keeping Brown, no matter what the does, they are showing that a player has to hurt himself if he wants to play that sort of game. If Brown refuses to report, he costs himself money and there is no delusion of getting that back in a big contract the way Bell hopes to recoup his losses from 2018. Brown is under contract. If he sits out the entire season, he is still under the same contractual obligation.

If he is disruptive or skips practices or meetings, fine him. If he plays badly, bench him. They take the cap hit no matter what, so it is absolutely worth the risk. In the best case scenario, Brown realizes the only thing he can do to benefit himself is shut up and play.

There are no good options, but the only viable ones are to get proper value in trade or to keep him. You may argue that the latter won't produce a win, but if they trade him for pennies on the dollar, that is a far more dangerous loss than even a season-long holdout.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  11. cral22

cral22 Active Member

Oct 17, 2016
    The Steeler's aren't winning anything this year anyways. Mike Tomlin is still head coach, and they throw the ball once they run it past the 50.... Or they come out in empty sets when Conner is averaging damn near ten yards a carry. Look at the small stretch our defense actually played well in the middle of the season, they weren't on the field for 40 minutes a game. Empty sets cause three and outs which brings defense back on field quickly... By time 4th quarter roles around we are done, because we have 0 depth at any position on defense. You know why the patriots wont take him? Because Belicheck doesn't put up with this ****, and he doesn't fit there offense. How many times did brown and Ben hook up on big plays when it was Ben buying time? Its not about punishing him, because if he sits out we get a compensatory pick for him and can recoup some of the money we have paid him. He wont half ass it, if he does, no one will sign him to a large contract.... He doesn't have the final say, and as a player who is literally breaking his contract with all this nonsense, he needs to be help accountable.

12. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    That last sentence may be the worst possible solution. In other words, the Steelers would be significantly damaging themselves for 2019 and beyond while caving in to whatever Brown wants. No. Absolutely no. It would be incredibly stupid to do it, so no.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Any potential trading GM is going to ask to speak to AB and his agent, before any deal gets discussed, especially after his comments about wanting to renegotiate his contract. At that point AB can torpedo any possible trade partner, if he chooses.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    This is over the top, but it's the one reasonable scenario in which the Steelers win. They keep Brown and his pride takes over. He doesn't want to be there, but he is driven by being the best in the game and that gets him out there and producing despite himself.

15. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Part of me is glad the Buffalo deal fell apart, no way they were giving up their 9 pick which means it would have been 2nd or pater or some combination there of. I want better.

Other part of me wants to go stick AB's head in a toilet. What a little punk. This guy is dumb as a bag of rocks if he thinks the Steelers will just release him or give him away for peanuts. KC is already on record saying that won't happen.

AB is banking awfully hard that KC is bluffing and won't keep him. Does the idiot stop to think what will happen if KC isn't bluffing? No, I bet he doesn't, he's severely lacking in intelligence to have more than 1 dimensional thinking.

16. Blitz

Blitz Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2016
    I dont think anyone else wants this guy

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. FeedTheMachineFTM

FeedTheMachineFTM Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    If I’m Mr Rooney and Colbert I stand back fold my arms and just force AB to retire .Call his bluff , he says he doesn’t need football right , C ya

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Bell, Brown, missing playoffs, and personally mentioning it. Nothing magical about it. You will see Tomlin approach these situations differently to not have a repeat of Antonio Brown. Look for a change.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  19. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    That's what many Steelers fans here and elsewhere don't seem to understand. This outcome has value for the Steelers. If Brown retires, I believe that alleviates the cap hit. It certainly frees the team of the burden of paying him. They avoid having a valuable asset help another team. Most importantly, they demonstrate that players who are under contract can't just force their way out. The absolute worst thing the Steelers can do right now is to trade Brown for less than fair value.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Because people can't see beyond the obvious of what's in front of them. They believe what they are told to believe influenced by various media sources.

People forget that this team lost a whole 3 regular seasons games the year before last. This was a bad year with a lot of distractions. Cowher had them. Even Chuck Noll had them.

Tomlin is faced with a huge challenge, and we will see how he responds. With the whole Brown situation imploding, Tomlin's approach has to change. Personally I believe Rooney and him have had a talk about it.

No repeat of Antonio Browns in the future.

21. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Then you need to go back and review the majority of games this year.

You will find that
    #1 lack of execution and
    #2 special teams including field goal kicking

are the two primary reasons the Steelers did not make the playoffs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    This absolutely sets a precedent for other players and is huge for the entire league.

The Steelers need to just hold to their word and not give him away. It's like bowing down to the temper tantrum of a 3 year old.

• Agree Agree x 3
  23. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    You are talking cap relief next year right if he retires? I thought they were stuck paying that 21 million against the cap this year no matter what because of the restructuring.

24. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Good points. But what if said assest showed up just to get his money and just caused problems for the team that almost completely enabled them to go further. Like T.O did for philly when they sent him home for the rest of the season. What then happens?

25. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Fine him for every bit of bad behavior and bench him if he's not helping the team on the field.

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.