1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Which Steeler did you most enjoy watching play?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Stone, Mar 6, 2019.

1. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Looking at some of you guys avatars of players past and present makes me reminisce about some of the incredible play of individual Steelers players and made me think about who I enjoyed watching most?

Jack Lambert simply defied his size even though he played in an era where his size wasn't a show-stopper. He used to execute plays that were so awesome for Steeler fans, like when he hit Brian Sipe at full speed about 1/4" out of bounds and sent Sipe flying like a rag doll.

Rocky Bleier this guy was the ultimate Steeler. After Vietnam he was told he would never walk again and went on the be a 1000 yard rusher when 1000 yards meant something. I remember the tears watching him play his last game which was a loss in San Diego

Mel Blount
    was plain and simple a bad dude! I probably would have hated him if he played for a rival.

Jack Ham wasn't mean or flashy but he was technically superb and was fun to watch.

The O-line pulling and running downfield with Franco and Rocky

Joe Greene was another bad-ass. He used to dominate his opponent like Mike Tyson dominated his girlfriends.

Bradshaw was so exciting because he did so many unconventional things which looked stupid for 1/2 a second and then ended in a TD.

Troy no explanation needed.

Big Ben some of the plays he pulled out like finding Holmes in the end zone for the win in SB 43 were heart stoppers......literally.

2. IZONUFOTO

IZONUFOTO Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    add Hines to that list....especially when he payed against Ed Reed..

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    all of the above and then some. :cool:

4. blitz_burgh

blitz_burgh

Nov 15, 2011
    Hines Ward and Troy were definitely fun to watch. This might not be up there on the list but I'm a defensive guy and two of my favorite guys to watch play were Aaron Smith and James Farrior. Aaron Smith was the best run stuffer I've ever watched and James Farrior was a hard hitting tackling machine!

5. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Joe Green was huge to me. I grew up watching the 60 Steelers get their ass handed to them. I went up to a pre-season game in Philly Green's rookie season. We had seats right at the tunnel and he came out, saw our Steeler shirts and gave a wave. Guy next to me said this guy is the start of something big. I'd say he turned out right.

6. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    All of the above, but you gotta add Greg Lloyd too. Another oddball favorite of mine was Levon Kirkland.... I loved watching that big azz MF-er drop into coverage.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Lambert had great size for that era 6-4 220

8. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Really tough to narrow down, but the first few guys that came to mind were, Lambert, Mean Joe, Bus and Troy.

9. tyler christopher

tyler christopher Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2016
    That is hard..... so many... mean joe , lambert, dwight white, stallworth, swann, donnie shell chad brown, buckner, loyd, kirkland thigpen, carnell lake, kordell when he was slash, plax hines, the bus, kendrell bell for his first 2 years, heath, troy, holmes wallace , harrison, brown bell shazier juju Ben.... i loved wathing all those guys but if I have to crack it down.

Def - lambert, mean joe, blount loyd, shazier
    Off- swann, bus, ben, brown, bell

10. Danthesteelersman

Danthesteelersman Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2018
    If I could only choose 1, its Troy for me.

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    3 most "exciting" to watch: 1. Troy; 2. Lynn Swann; 3. As Tyler C said above - Kordell when he was slash. Add all other players named so far above and throw in some Kevin Greene and that's a whale of a team right there. :herewego!:

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. tyler christopher

Jan 20, 2016
    How did I miss troy.... I have to remove Loyd for Troy...........

13. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I miss Limas Sweed. His injured dignity never recovered.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    You all haven't mentioned Franco Harris. He was the smart player, before being the smart player was cool. Without him paying attention to Joe Paterno's teaching at Penn St., he may have never followed the play and been in position to make one of the greatest plays in NFL history. Because of Joe Greene, I became a Steelers fan. Because of Franco Harris, I remained one for life.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Le'Veon Bell and AB.

I'll show myself out :tomato:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Jerome Bettis << Loved watching him pound defensive players into submission. The dude was a beast running the football especially when he first arrived in the Burgh.

Troy Polamalu << loved watching him fly all over the place making plays. The entire defense was designed around him. Pretty awesome to see.

And Ben Roethlisberger << ton of respect having a quality QB after decades of subpar performance. Can actually have hope with a 2 minute drill.

I'll also throw in..

Kendrell Bell << no one will remember, but I distinctly remember in his rookie season him putting the Center on his bottom twice with rushes up the middle. He was a rookie phemon. He ended up having injury issues with the Chiefs and faded into oblivion.

Joey Porter << was a hell of an outside linebacker for the Steelers during his prime.

Kevin Greene << He wasn't here long unfortunately, but loved the guy's intensity

Hines Ward << his hands were sticky coming up with balls being thrown leading him into safeties. He'd come up after the catch smiling. Not to mention his run blocking ability was excellent.

Lawrence Timmons << I know people on here give him a rough time for reasons unknown, but he was a beast here for a long time with very little issues with injuries. He was excellent at showing up in goal line stands in the red zone.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. tyler christopher

Jan 20, 2016
    i thought Kendell Bell was on his way to Hall of fame.... that is how dominant he was his first 2 years. His injuries started way before chiefs. he was never the same after those anke sprains at end of his second season........

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    agree with troy ben and jerome.

Troy = phenom at his prime made plays that were absurd.
    Ben = 2004-2010 Ben was a magic fantastic Ben. You always felt you had a chance to win.
    Jerome = my fav player. Dude was a wrecking ball and fast.

19. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Lambert

• Like Like x 1
  20. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    The Bus, Levon Kirkland, Hines, Ben.

21. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I was playing middle linebacker in middle school. I was Steelers fan. I remembered the greats but I loved watching Robin Cole cause I played the same position then. I always thought he was underrated

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Loved me some Big Snack. Antwaan Randall El might not be in people's favorite but he was exciting to watch.

23. 69-2now

69-2now Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2017
    No competition, '76 steel curtain. They knew their jobs and mastered at it.

24. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Excellent point! Franco was the innovator of step out of bounds to add 4 years to his career! And the fact that it pissed Jim Brown off was even better!

• Like Like x 1
  25. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    He may not be real popular right now, but adding to all of the above would be Silver Back. What he did to Colt McCoy was criminal. I still don't think McCoy has recovered from that hit. Also 100 yr int return in the SB. The only way to stop him was to hold.

• Agree Agree x 2