1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

If you had to have one QB for all time?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Iowasteeljim, Feb 28, 2019.

1. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I don't start many threads on here, but while I was driving to work, I started thinking about this. If you were only able to have one quarterback for all time, who would that quarterback be and why? I had several that I went back and forth between (Marino, Montana, P. Manning, Bradshaw, and Brady). In the end it was Manning for me. This was a challenging question to answer, and there are plenty of other players I could have added, but I always admired how Manning was a general out on the field. Yes, I know he didn't win many Superbowls, however I always felt it was because his teams weren't good enough to get over the hump. I feel like if I was stuck with one quarterback for all time as a Steeler quarterback, Manning would have been that guy. Anyhow, something different to speculate in the off-season.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Would they age as well? I was going to go for a mobile QB, but then thought maybe Manning would make more sense as his style would suit arthritis better. However, I couldn't stand watching Manning play. Changing the play at the LOS was part of his genius, but it was frustrating to watch. Plus, like you say, you have to factor in that the team is going to go through rough patches, so needs a battler QB.

So, my vote would go to... Johnny Unitas.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    Johnny was on my radar too. I guess that is why I got to thinking about this so much. I have a 20 minute drive into work (which I really enjoy by the way) that gives me some time to ponder things. There really isn't enough time in the day to come to a great conclusion on this thought. I completely understand your frustration towards Manning though. In answer to your question, this would be under the assumption that the QB never ages.

4. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Montana then Bradshaw. Montana was more of a complete package. Bradshaw had a better arm than anyone.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Out of those choices, I’ll take Ben

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    Years ago, I used to say I'd choose Bradshaw if there was a choice like this. But now I think I'd agree with you Iowasteeljim, and I'd go with Manning.

• Like Like x 1
  7. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I think I would also go with Peyton Manning. John Elway would be my second choice.

• Like Like x 2
  8. THREE RIVER SHIVER

THREE RIVER SHIVER Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2017
    Im going with Montana..Had all the things you would want in a qb , and was real good in games that mattered most.Never got too much credit for being tough,but played in an era that qb's took a beating.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Troy aikman. I always thought he was under rated. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Manning just couldn’t seem to get it done in the playoffs. That’s where the stars should shine?

In the playoffs:

Manning 14-13

Bradshaw 14-5

Montana 16-7

Ben 13-8

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    When I think about the most well rounded QB at his peak performance, I would have to go with Montana. Peyton would be up there too because, you know, Tennesse big orange and all.

But if I think about QBs who changed the game or had the biggest impact on the sport, the first name that comes to mind is Doug Williams. He blazed a trail as the first black QB to win a SB.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Great pick. For some insight into his situation at the time, great book too.

'Quarterblack' by Doug Williams
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  13. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    doug had a fantastic game as well

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    I can't believe he named the book that.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  15. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Montana and, it's not even close. Never had to worry if you needed a win and Joe Cool had the ball! Marino would be second

• Like Like x 2
  16. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    The book came out in the late 80's, things were different back then I guess.

Edit: published in 1990

17. FeedTheMachineFTM

FeedTheMachineFTM Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
  18. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Montana easily.. Rodgers is hard to pass up due to his talent though.

19. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Come on Jim, you know that this is just another "Hey, look at me thread!" :lolol:

OK, but putting all seriousness aside, you didn't say we had to actually "like" the QB choice did you? You know this must be a Steeler Forum when no one here even remotely whispers the GOAT's name. So....excluding the obvious elephant in the locker room and based on hardware accrued, you have to put Bradshaw near the top, throw in some Bart Starr, Joe Montana, Johnny U, Roger Staubach, Ben, Len Dawson, Y.A. Tittle, and honorary mention to Jim Kelly for getting them to the dance 4 times.

Edit - OK throw in Elway cause not only was he the comeback kid and won lots of games but he sure can sell lots of cars and trucks in the Western USA.

• Like Like x 2
  20. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    You might as well throw in Sonny Jergensen, with his belly and all.:smiley1:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  21. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I'd probably go Marino 1st and then Montana.

I just loved Marinos game, threw a great football. He'd probably throw for 10,000 in a season if he played today.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. PDXSteelers

PDXSteelers Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    OK with either Bradshaw, Montana or Rodgers

23. winggin

winggin Well-Blitzed Member

Oct 23, 2011
  24. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
  25. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I am a bit of an attention whore lol

I am glad this picked up some steam. I had fun thinking about this and can actually agree with almost every choice. The only reason I did not mention Brady is because I can not do so without puking a little but he does deserve consideration. Marino was a close second for but mostly because he just feels like an NFL QB.

• Like Like x 1