1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Motivation for Ben

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Da Stellars, Feb 22, 2019.

1. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    You think Ben wants a contract extension not another SB? I think he sees the possibility of another run at it with the offensive talent we have (had) currently.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Consider that ABs best years are behind him + the fact that Ben would try to get him the ball no matter how well he was covered. Yeah it will be near impossible for AB to match what he did with Ben throwing him the ball. I hope his ego can deal with them facts & not see him step off the ledge.

3. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Of course he sees a possibility. He also sees his last chance at dollar signs. IMO I don't think it's a coincidence he came into camp in his best shape since probably the last time a contract extension was in the mix. Let's see how dedicated he is by how much money he is willing to accept. He's made a ton of dough. If SBs were his main objective he should take less like everyone else is expected to. That would help give us a better chance....

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Ben will be highly motivated. I have no doubt in my mind about that. I think he wants 1 more championship before he retires. I just hope Ben realizes that he needs to protect the ball better than he did last year. Some of his picks were flat out terrible. If Ben cleans up his game a little, and we run the ball a little more often, the Steelers should still have a top 10 offense.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    This. Which game was it last season where they played with some 3 TE sets and Vance, James, and X all had catches? I thought it was a great game plan and we never saw it again.

6. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    If you seriously think he couldnt do equal to or better with Rodgers, brady, brees, etc.. you are just speaking with heart over head because of what he did. He's not a dez bryant. His age will factor in but his athleticism is not why he is who he is. It's his ability to run the route tree. He can still produce for AT LEAST another 3 years. Plus he works harder than almost anyone in the league. He will be in tip top shape as well.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I want more championships before Ben retires. Is it too much to ask for a 3-peat?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Rush2seven

Oct 17, 2011
    Why just 3 years? Why not as long as Jerry Rice?

I missed having a possession receiver like Hines from the slot. BA moves Larry Fitzgerald to the slot and his catches went up. I hoped with the emergence of JuJu that Brown would see more slot play where he isn’t guarded by their best db and not double teamed.

AB already cashed in from the Steelers. He wants to cash in from the next team before a coach moves him around.

If the Steelers do move on, and finally rid themselves of the young money crew, they need to find more unselfish guys like Hines to be able to win more championships.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Here's what I think FootballAnalyst. The first time AB decides to pout, Rodgers, Brees, Marsha will throw the ball four straight times to their other receivers. Hopefully this will not be beneath the great chest's expectations.

10. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I agree with your assessment of his talent and work ethic. He’s a transcendent talent on the field. If it weren’t for the baggage we’d likely get a high 1st round pick, or multiple picks for him, even at 31 years old. If it weren’t for the baggage, 31 other teams would be inquiring instead of 3. Unfortunately the baggage exists. We’ll know pretty soon whether other teams view the baggage as his fault, or a fault elsewhere within the organization based on what we are able to secure in trade compensation (if anything).

11. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    I think he'd get along with brees and brady.. Rodgers is the one I think he could probably clas with. Plus payton nor belichick is Tomlin and Ab will know from the start that what he did in Pittsburgh he cant do there.

12. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Nah. Only reason cooper was worth a 1st rd pick was because he is 24. At this age even without baggage I dont see him worth a first round pick.

13. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
  14. Rush2seven

Oct 17, 2011
    Let’s also not forget AB was already paid a lot of money. A new team gets his talent for a bargain price over 3 years. That’s worth something in the trade too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    You also have to factor in mid season trades. You are more likely to get a higher pick because the team trading for said player is usually in a position to win that year and feel like they just need a missing piece. If the Steelers decide to hang on to AB because the value isn't there a pre deadline trade would most likely get them a higher pick. Especially if he's performing at the time.

16. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    A good measure of Ben’s motivation will be how many chins he has when camp opens.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I’ll lay odds that if he does get traded that he tries to renegotiate his contract with the new team.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    This is ABs motivation for his actions I believe. Without a renegotiation with more guaranteed money AB will not agree to the trade.

19. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    AB cannot refuse a trade. His only option would be not playing( retiring).

20. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    AB doesn't have a trade clause in his contract? Asking because I don't know.

21. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    No there's no such thing in the NFL....

• Informative Informative x 1
  22. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Now people are doubting that Ben is a competitor and just doing it for the money? SMH.

Ben’s always let it be known that he wanted more SBs then Bradshaw. He’s not going to get there but I’m sure that’s what motivates him the most.

He’s not going out there sacrificing his body for money, he has plenty of that.

And not sure if anyone ever noticed but Ben was a damn good QB long before the diva fruitcake got here.

• Winner Winner x 1
  23. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    “Diva fruitcake”

If you don’t mind, I’m going to plagiarize that.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    If AB was clean off the field and in the locker room, a team that felt that it was one or two players away from contending next year would pounce. I’ll clarify that by “high” 1st rounder I don’t necessarily mean top 5, I mean top 15 or so. Based on some trades I’ve seen, I have no doubt that he would have had that kind of value for the right team.

25. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

While that is true I can't imagine that any team interested in AB wouldn't insist on getting an assurance from his agent that AB will show up and play for them. If the feedback from AB and his agent is that he want a contract renegotiation or he won't report, the potential trade partner might tell the Steelers : "we're no longer interested". So AB has some destination leverage.

• Agree Agree x 1