1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Motivation for Ben

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Da Stellars, Feb 22, 2019.

1. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Anyone think Ben takes this offseason and upcoming season as something to prove without AB and Bell, and constant critique of him being a bad leader?

2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    If he does not, I will be surprised for certain. While most in the idea ignore this, Ben does carry a chip on his shoulder. It is just not as advertised as say... someone like Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers.

3. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    All pro athletes have at least a small chip on their shoulders or they wouldn't be where they are. That being said I can definitely see him using it as extra motivation. Actions will always speak louder than words though.
    Ben being focused and motivated is the least that should come out of this fiasco. The potential problem I see though is him trying to emulate the success we had with AB in the offense. If we continue to try and be a 70/30 pass run ratio team,we won't fair very well. So part of Ben's motivation should be to secure wins and not stats. More running ,less passing. Let's see if he is willing to make that sacrifice.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. Junebug

Junebug Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2018
    Personally, i'm not very optimistic about the coming season. The window is closing quickly on this current roster. Ben, well, let's just say no other teams are in awe of him anymore. He's showing his age, and now has lost some "tools". Hope I'm wrong, but imho, things could be ugly.

• Agree Agree x 5
  5. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Something motivated Ben last off-season. He was in the best shape I've seen him in about 10 years.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    True but the results from that were a mixed bag. Some games he looked unstoppable others you were like did he retire at halftime?

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    For sure...If Ben goes out and has a great year, and AB doesn't...Boy, all the **** AB talked and continues to talk...Is really gonna make him look worse ( if that is possible )...

Then all the talk would be how AB was made because of Ben...That might literally drive him over the edge

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    It will be near to impossible for AB to have the success he had with Ben. I hope he realizes that before he steps up to the edge.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Depends on where he went. Its definitely far from impossible.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I'll call it right now of having a tremendous year barring injury. He'll be able to spread the ball around.

And he has a lot of weapons on offense to do so.

More important that personal stats is wins.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    It's called a contract extension. He can keep his 5,000 yards I want a deep playoff run....

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. THREE RIVER SHIVER

THREE RIVER SHIVER Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2017
    We absolutely can not throw the ball 40+ times a game and expect great results. A running game that possesses that ball is Bens and the defenses best friend. OC needs to realize this too.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  13. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    With AB gone potentially Ben should cut down on his ints, no more forcing the ball to one player.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. Fe3CCity

Fe3CCity Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    I would suggest he does.

I other words, let's view the numbers. Im not doing it!!!
    I make this claim and tell me i am wrong.

50 pass attempts equals a loss for the past 15 years.

15. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Next season will go as Ben goes. I'm hoping he has a better year. Surely the INTs will be down from not having to force the ball to cry baby AB.

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  16. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
  17. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Ben still has a lot of weapons.

On top of JuJu and Conner, I think Jesse and Vance are a pretty lethal TE receiving combo, which they never really take advantage of.

18. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    Beat me to this. To me, the games where Ben looked bad was when he was trying to force the ball to AB. For now, JuJu is not a selfish guy, so I am hoping there will not be the need to force the ball to him. I liked the games when Ben spread the ball around finding the open guy, especially the Tight Ends. We still have enough weapons and an offensive line that should allow us to keep defenses guessing who to cover.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  19. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

You misunderstood my post entirely. Of course pro athletes have some form of chip on their shoulder. OP asked Ben would have something to prove given the circumstances regarding AB and Bell. As I said, unlike Brady or Rodgers, Ben does not telegraph his chip the way those two do.

My point was that I would be surprised if he didn't. Furthermore, I would imagine that the national sports media fueling the narrative Ben cannot do anything without AB is going to motivate him even more. That is going to have a big effect.

As you stated however, only way this works is if Ben is willing to balance the offense. I do not mind attempting to pass every now and then, but passing over 60% of the time shortly after James Conner getting injured did not assist the team. Looking back on that, I wonder if there was a trust issue between Ben and the other backs after James was injured for that period of time last season.

• Like Like x 1
  20. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    If Ben doesn't try to take up the slack all on his own this offense can be a success. I could very well see us adding a good tight end to help in the run and pass game and another wr. Ben has had success spreading the ball around but in crunch time plays he looks for his security blanket. That has been ab and before that help and before that heath. Juju and McDonald have to become that. :cool:

21. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Let me combine arguments from independent threads and see if you find the chasm of logic;

Without AB, Ben will in fact be better since he won't be forcing passes to satisfy AB. But we better get get a first round pick for AB because he's the best WR in the game and he make the team, and presumably, the QB better.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Thank you! I was just going to say the same thing and have been saying this in other threads.

The drama queens are gone sending a message. Time to bring back the team first mentality.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I'm not so sure I misunderstood anything. I was just stating a fact as well. I didn't say you didn't acknowledge that fact as well. I also think the narrative is more AB is nothing without Ben. That's the vibe I've been getting. Either way we should see a spike in his motivation. At the same time he should be motivated to win every year. That's why you play the game. If not he should of retired when he was threatening to. I agree there will/should be that extra oomph but it could be good or bad depending on how he channels it....curious to see his conditioning status come camp time. That will say something.

24. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
  25. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I don't feel Ben will be motivated at all, it was just proven he is the Teflon Don when it comes to Colbert. This team will go as Ben goes, when Ben is on we win and when Ben is off we lose most of the time. As far as forcing the ball to AB yeah he looks for him most of the time but IDK when you have one of the greatest players in the game you do that. I think to much gets put on Ben "forcing" the ball to AB, I mean Ben did hit a wide open Bronco in the endzone. To me that is a bad pass and a bad read not a force to AB. JMO

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1