1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Todd Haley Firing was the Begining of AB Saga

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TuRnDoWnForWaTT, Feb 20, 2019.

1. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    The more and more information that comes out about the AB - Ben rift, the more and more I am sure about one thing. AB was pissed that Ben got Todd Haley fired. Why do I say this? AB himself tweeted that Ben is like an owner, and that he even has the power to fire coaches. I am paraphrasing, but that was the gist of it. Lets also not forget the in game hug AB gave to Haley during the Browns game.

Now why would AB be mad that Haley was fired? Think about it for a second. Haley was the only coach on the team who had the balls to keep Ben in check. Most importantly though, Haley was willing to force the ball to AB. I can not think of too many games where AB was not the absolute focal point of the passing game. And when he wasn't, it was because LeVeon Bell had 40 touches.

Flash forward to the Fichtner era. The offense under Fichter became about letting Ben have almost total control. Instead of AB being the focal point, the focal point was placed more on Ben making the correct reads, and finding the open man. This lead to AB being double covered more often than usual, because plays were not being called as often, to specifically get AB open. AB still put up his numbers, but not in near the fashion he was used to under Haley. I believe this infuriated Brown.

Ed Bouchette pointed out that AB actually went AWOL 3 separate times during the season, once during camp, after KC, and before Cincinnati. I believe his absence during camp was because he did not like the way the offense was being run.

So what I am saying here is that the Haley firing was the beginning of AB going from regular old diva AB, to straight up insane, crazy, Mr. Big Chest AB. Ben calling out receivers on his radio show, and the comment Ben made about throwing to JuJu 4 straight times in the endzone, only added fuel to a fire that had already been lit.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    My take

Before anyone calls me an AB apologist, I can assure you I am not. I am just pointing out something that no one has seemed to touch upon. AB is far too delusional and self centered to realize, that even despite his targets being lower at times, his overall numbers were still incredible, and the offense was better as a whole. A lot of balls went JuJu's way, based on the double and triple coverage AB drew. But at the same time, AB's numbers were far more meaningful this year. AB shined when it mattered most, and many of his big plays came at times the Steelers needed it most.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Or AB was jealous JuJu had more catches and yards than he had :shrug:.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    But would he have if Haley were still here?

5. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Let's not act like Haley and AB were best friends, I recall AB pulling away from Haley and yelling at him, when Haley was trying to calm AB down during one of his sideline tantrums.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Sorry, I'm not buying what you are selling.

Haley and Roethlisberger were oil and water no doubt but AB is just an uncontrollable ego maniac acting like a 2 year old who had his rattle taken away. He would have acted the same way no matter who was guiding this offense. His spotlight shifted and he simply didn't like that nor can he handle it. Can't blame anyone for that other than himself.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Yes, without a shadow of a doubt.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Still waiting for the day the Steelers are not leading every sports show on tv. Today its Bell not going to be tagged. Will it ever end? They say when your in a hole, quit digging. This team has no idea how to do that.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    Again, I am not trying to defend AB here, or even Haley for that matter. What coach would AB be referring to that Ben got fired? There is only one. Personally I am glad Haley is gone. AB seems to have felt differently.

10. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    I'm not so sure about that. For one, the Steelers would have almost certainly run more often if Haley were here. Two, Haley made a coaching career out of forcing the ball to AB. JuJu was in for a big year regardless of who was OC, but I'm not sure he puts up numbers as large as what he did if Haley were here.

11. BuckeyeBucco

BuckeyeBucco Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I agree with your last statement here. It looks like Brown's final game in a Steelers uniform was also perhaps the finest one he ever played. He was phenomenal in New Orleans in what really was our do-or-die game of the season. The Saints had no answers for him in what should have been a Pittsburgh upset.

That being said, the man needs to grow up. That's the biggest issue here, and it's why he won't be on the team next year.

12. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Haley wasn't fired.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Not buying this theory.

14. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I can see it. I never really wanted Haley to leave.

I don’t care if a player doesn’t like a coach.

15. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Do you mean Brown was upset when Haley was fired in Cleveland? Haley has proven he has people issues. Brown has proven he has numerous issues. Add that to the defense has issues, Tomlin has issues, Ben has issues, Boswell has issues, and Le'Veon had issues. The bottom line is there are issues. One issue was resolved today and one should be resolved in the next month. The fact that there are a half dozen issues tells me that all of them may not be resolved. Some of them you may have to live with.

16. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Long term starters who are future HOF QB`s have huge leverage.

I seem to remember Brady got what`s name qb sent to SF even though he might be their future.

If Brady hates a coach other than Belicheat, that guy is a goner.

17. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    His contract wasn’t renewed. He was fired.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Most all of their assistants get Head Coaching jobs

19. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Arians retired, Lebeau resigned, Haley wasn't renewed.
    After this season, Tomlin will be on a spiritual retreat.

• Like Like x 4
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  20. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    One can only hope:thumbs_up:

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    That's the funny part about a three ring circus, there is always enough drama going on that you can't quite put your finger on any one act in any one ring. Remember the definition of a "Three Ring Circus" a situation of confusion, characterized by a bewildering variety of events or activities It's quite possible and since Haley and Brown are both an infectious cancer it would make sense "birds of a feather flock together".

22. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Good points.

I think that has something to do with it, but I think the overwhelming reason for all of this is simply $$$$.. Probably Brown having to take a backseat to the team in sacrifice of his personal statistics was also a key factor at play.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 3
  23. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Don't know if it lends credence to your theory but Haley just said Bell and Brown were the two hardest workers he ever coached.

24. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

Most definitely

25. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I think it is to simple to make this about one thing and one thing only.

AB doesn't like that Ben go Haley fired. AB doesn't like that JuJu had more catches. AB doesn't like that Ben called him out. AB doesn't like that the media called him out for an injury. AB doesn't like that someone on staff made a bad tweet about him. AB doesn't like that Bell was able to get guaranteed money and he doesn't have any more. AB doesn't like the offense.

Anyone catching a trend in all that. AB doesn't like.... Seems like there isn't much he does like other than the limelight. I hope he goes somewhere that the QB just isn't good enough to get him the ball. That he has to play with Case Keenum or some stupid crap like that. He doesn't like a lot of things, but the reality is, he isn't very appreciative of what he has either. The grass is not always greener.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1