1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Transition Tag???

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by VTSteelerfan, Feb 15, 2019.

1. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
  2. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Yards per reception does not correlate with the ability to run routes.

3. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I'm not a current events guy. I despise social media. I don't live and breath football ..... anymore. But what the hell does this mean?

4. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    He's not kicking women around in the hallway?

• Like Like x 2
  5. Jares

Jares Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2016
    You may be right. The only thing I am excited about for next year for the time being is seeing what progress Conner makes. As far as receiving skills for an RB goes, for me it's all about hands and YAC. Can the RB be a safety valve and what can he do with the ball in his hands. I don't necessarily care if he can line up at WR and run WR routes. It's a plus, but not anything I think is important in a back, and certainly not important enough to pay Bell what he wants.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    The problem is you are looking at it from a regular Joes perspective. The money is all relevant to the entertainment value provided. Which I don't know if you missed it but the owners are raking in hundreds of millions. I don't see the outcry and outrage over NBA and MLB players or Hollywood stars and their guaranteed money. No one in the entire sports and entertainment industry is sacrificing as much as NFL players. It is literally taking years off their lives. In a perfect world military,cops,firefighters and doctors should be making more money than everyone on the planet. Unfortunately the reality is that sports and entertainment are huge business. Who do you feel sorry for the owners? If they couldn't afford it they wouldn't pay it. If they weren't taking in big money they wouldn't own franchises. It's that simple. I will say again no one is right or wrong in this. Everyone is doing what's best for themselves. Not you and me....
    What should the owners tell al the homeless people in their cities?

And you couldn't be more wrong about any amount of money making up for a tough childhood. A bad enough experience growing up can never be forgotten by any amount of money.

7. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Many do. That's why the have the term "all around rb". Having a rb who can be a good receiver is a great asset. And lol most RBS they get the ball in there hands can do something with it I mean that's not really something you have to worry about. And yeah next yr will really judge the caliber of player conner is. I for one dont think he's an elite back. Hes good but I dont look at him as a transcendent talent.

• Like Like x 1
  8. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Bell's 2 suspensions and his injury history were better reasons not to give him the money he wanted. (better reasons than his skill set)

• Like Like x 1
  9. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    I think that's the only argument tbh and even then my problem was never the team not giving him the high gurantees. My problem was them not doing AND hindering his ability to pursue those dollars elsewhere. Sad it took him holding out an entire season to do it but oh well.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    You mean the team doing exactly what the collective bargaining agreement allows? Collective - as in agreed to by the owners and the players’ union. You know, that agreement that was negotiated that guarantees the players with a sizable chunk of the league’s revenues. Agreements like that are the product of give and take. The players get a lot of money, and the owners get the opportunity to protect their investment in key players at a very high fully guaranteed salary. The problem is that folks like you want it to be take and take. You want the players to get the benefit of the share of the revenue that the owners agreed to give up, but reneg on the benefits that the team gets from the negotiatied deal. A one-way deal. “Gimme mine, but you don’t get yours”

Bottom line: the team did EXACTLY what the players’ association agreed it could do in negotiating the CBA. Bell exercised his right to sit and lose a lot of money to avoid playing under the tag. Both parties had to deal with the consequences of their decisions to do what was allowed.

If anyone did something wrong, it was Bell sending signals that he would eventually play. First it was that he would skip camp and be there Week 1, then it was that he’d be there after the bye. If he were honorable, he would have clearly let the team know that he wouldn’t play at all under the tag.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Sad indeed, but at this point I'm just glad it's over (I assume it's over).
    Now I'm interested to see how much Bell gets inked for, and by who.

12. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    It's fine but they tagged him twice. They knew the offseason before last the type of numbers he wanted and then after he has another all pro season they seriously thought he would come to terms with a better deal? Pitt doesnt gurantee anyone high dollars. Leveon thought they'd make an exception for him since hes a transcendent talent but they didnt. Your talking about signals I dont think he told anyone anything. I think that's what they expected because he did that the year prior and he said no thus forcing their hand to not franchise tag him again this off season.

13. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Yupp time to move on. Same with AB. I'm tired of talking all of this tbh it's time to move on.

14. THREE RIVER SHIVER

THREE RIVER SHIVER Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2017
    Do you think he is even in the conversation with the best backs that have played the game?

15. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Thank God he isn't.

16. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Have you ever heard of Lamar Woodley?

17. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Ever? No.. but he was the best back in the NFL over the last few years.

18. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Yeah what about him?

19. THREE RIVER SHIVER

THREE RIVER SHIVER Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2017
    I think guys come and go in this league that have 5 goods years all the time.Kinda think Bell falls into that catagory.He had an awesome 2014 ,but that was 5 years ago.Not saying he will not have a few productive years elsewhere,but i just dont see him as playing a dozen years in this league and being a HOF player.Just my opinion

20. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Not to mention the suspension and then injuries when they needed him in postseason. We got more use out of DeAngelo Williams when it mattered.

• Like Like x 1
  21. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    The only thing sitting out a whole season did was cost him $14.5 million that he will never get back. He may have hurt his future contract amount. He accomplished nothing.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    He seemed to be enjoying himself, that could be considered an accomplishment.:coolcool:

• Like Like x 1
  23. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    The logic is that if he can get like at least 30 million guaranteed then in his mind he won. If he got a career ending injury playing on a one year deal then 14.5 is all he’s ever getting. But now if he gets a bunch of guaranteed money then he’s ahead.
    I think it’s all hogwash myself. Just show up and play and earn your money.

24. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    If it does work out for Bell, taking a year off might become the new standard for players facing a second franchise tag.:sneak:

25. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Yeah I'm afraid that's where it's headed. The rules on the franchise tag really need to be cleaned up IMO.