1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Transition Tag???

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by VTSteelerfan, Feb 15, 2019.

1. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Awesome, and only 13 months late too. The immense talent of Brown, Bell, and Bryant is only matched in scale by the colossal cluster**** they became in Pittsburgh.

2. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I'm not sure how you can say who won yet. We don't even know what he'll get for a contract, and if the rumors that he ballooned to 260 lbs. are true, teams are going to be concerned about whether he'll work hard after getting his guaranteed money. The drug policy questions will be hanging over him as well. Also, he'll never get back that lost year at $14.5 million guaranteed.

3. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Good point but whoever he signs with he has to pass a physical first. They would know what type of shape he's in then.

4. Hoot

Hoot Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2018
    Not exactly fair to say they didn't want to pay him...the Steelers were ready to pay him and offered him quite a bit if reports are true. In fact, the offer appears to have been sufficient to make Bell the highest paid back in the NFL at the time (that was pre-Gurley contract). They just didn't offer him what he thought he was worth, but that doesn't mean they weren't ready to pay him gobs of money. They just couldn't come to agreement on what that number is.

Did they inhibit him from the market? Sure, but they did so within the rules of the CBA same as Bell followed the rules of the CBA to try to get what he believes is his worth. This is why I am not upset with either the team or Bell. They both used the means available to them to try to come to an agreement. It is just too bad they couldn't come to terms.

All that said, I think this experience may well be used by both the NFL and the NFLPA during the next labor negotiations. I have a feeling the next CBA is going to be rough.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Too many gorditas for Lev "taco" Bell.

6. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    He lost 14.5 million that he will never get back. He lost when he started lying.

7. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Rather lose 14 million or chance losing double that?

8. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    If a team drops 45 million guaranteed, Bell. If a team drops 30 mil guaranteed, No one.

9. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    No one won, just losers all around. We'll see how much of a loser Bell is coming up soon. Hoping its epic.

• Like Like x 1
  10. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    That fear of getting hurt was just bulk****. He lost 14.5. It was a bad decision.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    But the Steelers offered him, then, the highest contract ever for a RB...

Bell declined it because he wanted more guaranteed money...

Nobody won

12. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    Maybe Bell lost, maybe ownership lost...possibly the team won? :hmm: I know I lost, I had to replace my daughter's Bell jersey with a JuJu jersey. How come no one is talking about my losses? My $100 probably hurts me more than Bell's 14 mil hurts him...just saying!

13. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Guranteed money > overall money.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  14. FeedTheMachineFTM

FeedTheMachineFTM Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
  15. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
  16. Disco1981

Mar 20, 2017
    I understand that but...The Steelers had a number, So did Bell...That's how negotiations work...

Curious obviously...As to what he gets this year

17. Disco1981

Mar 20, 2017
    My guess is...He's gonna get right about what the Steelers offered the first time...Maybe a little less

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Overall and guaranteed money will likely drop. Every 'negotiator' from NFL teams will point to the play of Conner and how there was seemingly ZERO lost production due to Bell sitting out..... but 100% risk for the new team that Bell smokes a blunt and misses time for his new team. Bell isn't in a great negotiating position, all things considered. And don't forget, nearly every team and scout thinks they can find the next Conner, Kareem Hunt, etc in later rounds for a big discount over Bell's asking price.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    The difference is, Bell has proven he's also a reliable receiver who can be lined up anywhere on the field and produce offense. That was his original point with his financial demands.

20. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Lol... Conner is not even Kareem hunt.

21. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    at least conner isn't suspended. that makes him better already. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  22. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    If he did, that may adversely affect his value. The NFL teams already know that he’s all about getting paid. If he blew up to 260 when he had every incentive to prove that he’s worth risking a ton of guaranteed money, folks are going to question whether he’ll do the same once he gets paid. He was already 240 as a college player, and wasn’t half the player at 240 that he was at 210-215 as an NFL player. Bottom line is that RBs generally don’t have weight issues. If he was heavy in college and even heavier during his year off, people wil think twice about big guarantees (and there’s the drug policy concern too).

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Exactly this. Everything else is peoples feelings getting in the way.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Jares

Jares Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2016
    That was his reason, but he's hardly unique in his ability to catch the ball. Also, Conner would have matched Bell or at least come close to it if he'd had the targets that Bell had. Conner actually averaged more yards per reception than Bell did in any season except 2014. Bell has a huge ego that was not entirely based in reality.

I don't know what more Conner could have done to prove himself. I guess some people just don't like him no matter what he does on the field.

People's feelings don't get in the way, they provide a perspective that these athletes don't have. If football is just a business like the defenders of Bell (or any other star player who whines about obscene amounts of money) contend then why sell merchandise? Why should people root for any one specific team? It's all a business so winning doesn't really matter unless winning means more money. Why should we wear our jerseys and merchandise with pride since pride doesn't get an athlete paid more? The single worst thing to happen to pro sports was enabling the "it's just a business" excuse. I've said it before and I'll keep saying it. Star athletes are paid too much money to be whining about any salary. Bell should tell the homeless on the streets of Pittsburgh or the single parents working two or three jobs just to pay the bills that 60 or 70 mil or whatever he was offered wasn't fair or good enough. Star athletes have no idea how the people who sheer them on in the stands live. If Bell had a tough life growing up then he's forgotten it with his tens of millions of dollars net worth.

25. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I think Bell could have transitioned to receiver, not just catch the ball out of the backfield. I love Conner and his abilities at running back, but I don't see him lining up solely as a receiver and having the same success.