1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Transition Tag???

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by VTSteelerfan, Feb 15, 2019.

1. VTSteelerfan

VTSteelerfan Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2016
    I don't understand how this works, can some enlighten me. We are going to try to use this on Bell and then try to trade him but if he doesn't sign then we can't? if we do and don't trade him we could lose our comp pick? I'm confused as to why we would even do this...

2. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
  3. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Only reason to use the tag is the right of first refusal. So after 3 bites at the Apple and they couldn't get it done then they let someone else work out a deal and then match that. If they haven't decided to let him go.

The only other reason is a one and a million chance to sign and trade him to get more than a 3rd Rd comp pick.

4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    If they do, they are hoping his value won't be as high as he thinks it is and they can match the offer he gets. Then they'd be in a position to trade him.

It's a risky play because if they don't match it, they lose him with no comp pick in return.

However, the Steelers may be intending to make a bigger splash in free agency then normal which will likely wipe out any return for Bell anyway.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I really hope this is the case because there are a lot of players available this offseason who can help us.

• Like Like x 1
  6. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    I agree, but I think the comp pick is really a bit overrated. Best possible comp pick will come at the end of the 3rd round...... Outside of Hines Ward, I can't remember any successful comp picks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Looking back and considering where we still are to this day with Bell. I wish they didn't tell Bell they would transition tag him this year. Maybe we could of gotten something out of him the last 6 weeks. He definitely could of provided enough of a lift to help us win a couple of those games we lost. With the uninspiring way the NFL season ended you never know what could of happened. IMO.

8. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I wonder if Bell's participation would have been enough to carry this team all the way to a title, or just another embarrassing playoff exit and a worse draft position. And more animosity.

9. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I just don't see how it could of ended any worse. It was definitely a chance I would of took ....oh well. If he was in shape and with his fresh legs and trying to improve his FA status I would of liked our chances a hell of a lot more

10. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I agree if it was a scenario where Conner was injured long term or Bell was going to be used as a swing back or in the slot. Just to bench Conner and start Bell would have been wrong. (imo)

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    If Bell played, then there is no Ridley fumble against the Saints :shrug:.

12. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Who's to say there wouldn't have been a Bell fumble instead.:shrug:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    The Ridley fumble was a needle in the haystack of cluster-****s in that and several other games late in the season.

14. Ryand877

Ryand877 Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2018

• Like Like x 1
  15. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    So who won that battle?

16. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2017
    Good!One half of the drama is done!Time to move on!!!

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Nobody

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    I would say leveon did. I think the team didnt think he would sit out a whole year and he gave them no choice but to let him be a free agent.

19. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    With our luck he will sign with the Rats.

20. Hoot

Hoot Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2018
    I think we can say Bell got what he wanted from the Steelers - a chance to be a Free Agent. Time will tell if he gets the money and contract structure that he wants. I would prefer that he had been able to stay and get paid, but that just wasn't in the cards. I actually don't bear any ill will towards Bell. He did what he had to do...I just wish it had been possible to keep in Pittsburgh. Good Luck to him and hopes he finds a good home...in the NFC.

21. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Yupp him and AB are entirely different situations. I believe leveon did absolutely NOTHING WRONG. The team didnt want to pay him and then inhibited his ability to pursue offers elsewhere. They finally let him go.

• Like Like x 1
  22. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    It will be so refreshing, once AB and Bell are gone, to know we still have coach Tomlin...

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  23. Ryand877

Ryand877 Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2018
    Just read that Bell could be up to 260 pounds. Article says his playing weight was 225.

24. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The idea of putting the transition tag on Bell never made any sense to me. My question is what happened before the deadline for him to sign and play at all in 2018. The story Bell put out there through his agent was that he would have signed the tender and played the last six games as long as the Steelers promised not to put any tag on him. He claimed that the team refused, so he sat out the rest of the season.

I always thought this story was garbage, something Bell or his agent thought would make him look better. If it was true, I don't understand why the Steelers didn't make the promise. The most likely option is that the story was only partially true, that Bell's agent asked for other conditions, such as paying him some or all of the money he passed on for sitting out the first 10 weeks of the season and at that point the team told him to get bent.

25. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Hitting blunts hard will do that to you.

Not being vindictive at all...

I hope the Steelers point out the picture he posted to the league and they drug test him immediately. Have fun sitting out another year without pay, schmuck.

• Agree Agree x 1