1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Sports Related Sponsor Name Craziness

Discussion in 'Other Sports Talk' started by MojaveDesertPghFan, Jan 22, 2019.

1. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    I don't know about anyone else but I hate hate hate the ever-changing sponsor names for both sports stadiums and college bowl games. The latest change just announced is the Milwaukee Brewers ballpark which has been Miller Field since it opened in 2001 will be changing to "American Family Insurance" ballpark in 2 years. Not a fan of the Brewfarts, but I like tradition in sports, especially baseball.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/...insurance-grabbing-naming-rights-report-says/

And the names of the myriad of dopey college bowl games is downright laughable - Cheez-It Bowl??? Are you kidding me? Here are some other hilarious ones over the recent years.

https://fanbuzz.com/college-football/bowl-game-sponsor-rankings/

2. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    I'm with you. It started here years ago. San Diego stadium became San Diego/Jack Murpy stadium became just Jack Murphy stadium became Qualcomm stadium became, now, SDCCU stadium! We won't get started on the sports arena...…...

3. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I agree. It's only a matter of time before the major 4 start renting space on jerseys and uniforms.

Unfortunately as a Marketing major, if it didn't work, they wouldn't keep forking ovet all the money to do it.

As long as people keep spending 100s of millions of dollars on their products, companies will continue to spend millions of dollars on advertising and naming rights.

4. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Why not sell naming rights to each yd line marker on the football field - I'd be interested in the Bo Derek "10" yd line! :hehehe:

5. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

The bowl game names drive me insane. I’m fine with the peach bowl brought to you by cfl. However the cfl peach bowl makes me want to kill babies.

6. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011