1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Steelers are considering using the transition tag on Bell

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Feb 4, 2019.

1. GothamRogue

GothamRogue Member

Feb 10, 2019
    Its not amazing perception dude. You're the one thats hung up on the word greed. To me its a no brainer. Its you that keeps bringing outside factors into the equation that are totally irrelevant and have nothing to do with anything. No ones sitting at the negotiating table trying to figure out what Dr Phil down the block had to go through to make $500000 a year or how much he will make in a lifetime. So why bring it up? One has nothing to do with the other. There's two parties in this equation: Bell and the front office. It only makes sense to use other examples in the NFL, not outside situations thats totally irrelevant. See, thats silly. If anything, Bell has to secure his future to making sure his future doctor son or daughter doesnt have to worry about that six figure student debt that you bothered to mention. Maybe his granddaughter/grandson after that. Maybe their granddaughter/grandson after that.

You see how that works?? You call it greed. I call it projecting future worth.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
  2. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    There's a chance of injury. The NFL is a dangerous game you dont play the odds. That's why players holdout.

3. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I just don’t see how the reported $10 million guaranteed can be accurate. If they were willing to pay him 14.5 million in the form of the franchise tag which is guaranteed it seems unrealistic that they would have only offered him 10 million guaranteed.

4. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    It’s illogical and beyond improbable that the offer would have only $10 million guaranteed in 2018. Nobody will know for sure what the offer was unless the Steelers make it fully public. However, my recollection of the most logical “leaked” offer details that I read was that $10 million was an upfront signing bonus, and another $9 million became guaranteed literally days after signing. The next $14 million in guarantees would then kick in at the beginning of the ‘19 and ‘20 league years.

5. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    OK, “Projecting future worth” is a more honest description than “securing his future.” I brought up situations outside of the NFL is because my point is that the decision he was faced with in no way resembles the decisions and challenges that everyday people face to “secure their futures,” and suggesting it’s similar is insensitive (I’ll use that instead of “offensive” which you didn’t like).

Bottom line: up until 2019 he had earned $16 million from football, if we set aside the contract offer (which HAD to provide more than $14.5 million guaranteed in 2018) and focus on the 2019 tag value, he turned down an opportunity to sign on the line and guarantee earnings of $30.5 million at 27 years old. Future secured.

6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Bell is a greedy doofus.

Can’t believe that’s still being debated.

• Like Like x 1
  7. THREE RIVER SHIVER

THREE RIVER SHIVER Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2017
    And how long did the TEAM pay for that mistake. Point proven..Lamar mysteriously could not stay healthy for 5 minutes after he inked his contract..Team is bigger than indivduals.Your attitude is exactly what is wrong with todays game and todays athelete...And oh by the way,Woodley never came close to being a productive player once he was gone...Got the big payday then pulled the emergency brake!

8. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Because that franchise tag was for one year. If they offer in him let's say 45 million guranteed that meant even if they cut him after a year he was still owed that money. They were willing to risk one year.

9. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Yeah if you look at it from a teams perspective sure but I'm not looking at in that context. I've explained my view point and why I feel the way I feel. Its deeper than football.

10. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Shazier still got paid last season :shrug:

11. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    This seems to make sense

12. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I think you need to read my post again.

13. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    Couldn't the offering team put a no trade clause in the offer sheet and call the Steelers bluff?

• Like Like x 1
  14. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    I was also thinking that a team might be willing to sign Bell for a big contract, but not a big contract + high draft pick. In which case, the Steelers would have to actively find a new buyer (or be stuck overpaying Bell when JC played well enough this season).