1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Steelers are considering using the transition tag on Bell

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Feb 4, 2019.

1. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Which is the projected compensatory pick. So I really don't see the value of doing this unless Art already has started talks and has something up his sleeve.

2. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    That may be a key reason why they’re considering it. The Ravens sign him, and the Steelers find a non-AFC North team who will trade a 4th - 7th round pick to match the Ravens’ contract terms. The comp isn’t great, but he doesn’t end up with a division rival.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. GothamRogue

GothamRogue Member

Feb 10, 2019
    It just means he doesnt approach every situation with black and gold sunglasses on unlike yourself. Its typical for most fans to side with the team to ensure the teams watch value. Some people are more rational than others and look at this from the players position also. Stop being so narrow minded and you could see that. Its ok to do that you know and still be a Steelers fan? Ignoring the fact that these players have say so in how these contracts are negotiated is probably your first problem. The GMs and front office have to consider what the play will be on the other side even if you dont. Not to mention we're talking about Bell here, not Brown.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
  4. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    The point is the Patriots didn't drop him until after the arrest. There were plenty of warning signs, but barn door wasn't closed until after the horses left the barn.

That is the complaint by some fans: AB's situation wouldn't have happened under a different coach, the team let him get away with too much, the QB should have been more of a leader, etc. Hernandez is proof that a player more out of control than AB played on the Patriots, up to the point that it wasn't possible for him to play with them (being arrested).

(Belichick threatened to throw him off the team, but didn't until it was too late. Brady tried to help him, but was unable to control him. The team kept him around because of his talent, even though other teams had Hernandez off their draft boards because of college off-field issues.)

5. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    LMAO you don't have a flipping clue what you're talking about. No player is bigger than the team, which is what both players think.

People that are in fans of Brown and Bell over the team can follow them on the way out. Don't like how Rooney is doing things too damn bad he's the owner of the team. People like this would be happier elsewhere.

To educate yourself on me, feel free to review my numerous posts on here. Don't have time for story tell.

6. GothamRogue

GothamRogue Member

Feb 10, 2019
    Please point out where i said the player is greater than the team or that he did???....ill wait

7. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Not only just them.. all the guys in the NFL. I'm a supporter of all of them getting their money. And that's why my name is football analyst. Its primarily because I'm an NFL fan FIRST. The blind love for the team I like doesnt overtake my reality of how I view the sport. That comes first. The Steelers is not the only reason nor the sole reason I play, love, or watch football.

8. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    This is pure and utter :bscow: that's so deep it takes hip boots to wade through it. It's not about securing his future, it's about greed. The same greed that you seem to accuse owners of. He had already earned around $12 million guaranteed in 2017, and turned down between around $19 million and $30+ million guaranteed depending on accounts I've read. A doctor who works to save lives, and who makes an average of $500k per year for a 30 year career after med school, residency and internships (and six figures of student debt) will make around $15 million in a career (which is really more like $7-8 million in present day dollars). For you to say that Bell was trying to "secure his future" is utter crap, and offensive to anyone who actually works hard for 30-40 years to secure their futures.

What Bell did was make a business decision. It was his right to make it, and he will either benefit from that decision, or bear the consequences of it. We'll find out. However, that decision wasn't made to "secure his future." The money he's already earned and the guarantees that he turned down are WAY more than sufficient to secure his future. He wanted even more, and that has nothing to do with securing his future.

Now if this were a situation where a superstar player decided to hold out from the last year of a rookie contract that would pay him $800k, I could buy the "securing his future" argument even though the holdout would be against the CBA and I wouldn't support the player doing it because of that.

One more thing on your skewed view: the owners created the league and are the ones who invest billions in it. If not for the owners who have started and built the league, the multi-million dollar opportunity that allows these young men to secure their futures would not even exist. The collective bargaining agreement correctly acknowledges that the talent of the players brings makes the product sellable, and allows them the opportunity to earn vastly more money than they would ever have an opportunity to earn without the NFL.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. GothamRogue

GothamRogue Member

Feb 10, 2019
    I've always wondered why fans are so vehemently opposed to players in contract disputes?? I'm not sure at this point if envy or jealousy doesnt at least play some part. I understand most fans want the most value for the buck as do owners, but why is the narrative for players always that their greedy, not about the team, etc when they dont agree with the dollar value the organization says their worthy of??? as if they have to completely sacrifice their well being and happiness and security for everybody else. It doesnt work that way in your personal lives, but for some reason you think its sufficient when it comes to these athletes.

There are billion dollar employers everywhere. Its not uncommon for workers, like you and I, who provide services to those employers to ask for better health benefits, better pay, etc. Just because theres a contract dispute doesnt mean there's greed involved.

The fact that NFL fans side with teams worth billions instead of players, that put their bodies on the line day in and day out, never ceases to amaze me as one person put it. Teams can cut players anytime but players are expected to honor contracts. Capitalism is obviously reserved for certain people i guess.

I have a real issue when someone says that a athletes contract issue isnt about securing their future and moreso about greed. You're a mind reader all of a sudden?? Its not just about securing their future...its about securing the future of generations that proceed them. Unless you're going to be paying for his childrens future education and security and their childrens children after that it would do you well not to speak for another persons finances nor compare it to someone else's. These players bodies and minds are their money makers and their most precious investment and their longevity in this league is usually short lived. I dont blame them for at the very least trying to get as much as they have determined their value to be in the short amount of time that they have.

We know that the 70 million is not the issue. The fully guaranteed part of the 70 is the issue and if i was Bell i would not have signed off either. Its not about greed. Its about what do i walk away with if this is my last game ever.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    It was reported Bell would've received 33 million guaranteed over the first 3 years, from salary and signing bonus.

11. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Players having to choose between taking tens of millions guaranteed or holding out for even more money = poor, downtrodden pawns of the system. Owners = evil, greedy abusers of other human beings. I think I get you're point :thumbs up:

Saying that "Its not uncommon for workers, like you and I, who provide services to those employers to ask for better health benefits, better pay, etc. Just because theres a contract dispute doesnt mean there's greed involved," and equating that to the kind of "struggle" that Bell faces with having to choose between the highest payday ever for his position and trying to get even more is just plain silly. It's comparing the strife of an ordinary working person trying to have a career and somehow make it to retirement and provide a better life for his/her kids with someone being set for life with just a few years' of playing a sport because that person happens to be blessed with superior athletic traits. I think it's offensive to working people to even make that comparison with a straight face.

Capitalism DOES work for the players. It works really, really well for them if they're good enough at what they do. Per Spotrac, Big Ben has made over $187 million in his playing career to date. What do you think the odds are that Ben would make even one tenth of that in his lifetime without the NFL? It may work for Bell. He made a business decision that he was allowed to make under the CBA, and it will either prove to be a good decision for him or a bad one. However, let's not delude ourselves with thinking that a reasonable person cannot be secure for life, and secure the life of their family, with the kind of guaranteed money that Bell has already earned and was offered. At some point it goes beyond security and into greed.

12. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    That's not enough. AB's 12 bedroom house in Florida was $6.6 million, and he has a custom Bentley and a Porsche (and god knows what else). If Bell is going to "secure his future" he needs enough to have a 14 bedroom house and 2 Bentleys.

13. GothamRogue

GothamRogue Member

Feb 10, 2019
    Dude why dont you take a breath and stop misconstruing what people say and acting like you know everything. First of all why are you so concerned about how much another man makes and how he chooses to spend it??? You're not on here telling the billionaires how many private jets they can buy or how many mansions they can build

Second of all the comparison i made between working for billionaires was to align the analogy that there are contract disputes all the time between employers and employees. Thats not to say one is being cheap or the other side is being greedy. What you do for a living is irrelevant. Doing what i do i dont expect to make the same salary as Bell, nor does a doctor; first responders, or anybody else in the rat race. People make what they make based upon public perception of its value. Sports players make what they make based upon public perception of how important sports is in society. Dont blame Bell. Blame America.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. GothamRogue

GothamRogue Member

Feb 10, 2019
    Its also reported only 10 of that was fully guaranteed. 23 of it was built into a rolling structure which is only guaranteed in the sense that the player is on the roster in the year the rolling guaranteed portion is to be paid

15. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    If he was on the roster for those 3 years. There was no gurantee of that.

16. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Steelers do not guarantee money for more than a year unless you are a QB. My only confusion is why would he piss away 12+ million to get 30 million in guarantees when you still lost that 12+ million, which in the long run, he only gets one more guaranteed year? No one is giving him 45 million guaranteed. Rams are already regretting that with Gurley and he is 4 years younger.

17. THREE RIVER SHIVER

THREE RIVER SHIVER Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2017
    Just thinking.When was the last time this team signed an all pro player at any position in his prime to an extension or a new contract ,and he didn't play the contract out?

18. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Lamar woodley

19. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    He would be on the roster for those 3 years if he produced like he always has :shrug:.

20. GothamRogue

GothamRogue Member

Feb 10, 2019
    Not if a Ryan Shazier or Alex Smith injury takes place

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    You’ve completely, utterly, thoroughly missed my point. I’m not sure where you’re coming up with any of this, so I’ll put it as simply as I can: my issue was the comparison of Bell’s dispute to issues facing everyday people. It’s disingenuous to say that turning down $10-33 million (depending on reports) of guaranteed dollars is all about “securing his future.” At some point it goes beyond that, and Bell’s own words leading into contract negotiations the past few offseasons make it crystal clear where Bell was coming from.

The rest of what you said is completely misconstruing everything I said. “Blame America?” WTH? :facepalm:

22. GothamRogue

GothamRogue Member

Feb 10, 2019
    Like i said ...pretend with the facepalm to be ignorant or not. I already told you what it meant when it "goes beyond that" as you so put it. Hes talking about his kids and his kids kids future. You can spin the narrative any way you choose...any way that makes you feel good about what you believe. Maybe its because you dont have anybody to worry about but yourself but people who intend to leave legacies know better.

23. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Thanks for the free psychoanalysis :roflmao:

Anything else you want to make up about me while you’re at it?

24. GothamRogue

GothamRogue Member

Feb 10, 2019
    Nobody has to make up anything about you bro. If somethings not true just say it. I know what is true is that you attempt to undermine any opinion thats not like yours that why you use words and phrases like

-pure and utter bs
    -skewed
    -silly
    -offensive
    -Disingenuous

As if somebody cant have a different opinion then you. You know all of the sports world doesnt agree with you on this topic right???

25. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Nope. Only the silly ones.

But... I’ll just go away and ponder how I have nobody to worry about but myself, and no future legacy. That’s what you’ve managed to divine about me in this discussion. Amazing perception!