1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Brown's Trade Value "30 cents on the dollar"

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mcam, Feb 12, 2019.

1. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011

Not too similar but perhaps not as far off as some would think. We'll see but I can't imagine we will get more than a 3rd rounder for Brown. Before all of his recent shenanigans maybe but not now.

2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The Rams need a wide receiver in the worst way? Apparently, you missed the entire regular season and their first two playoff games and based your opinion entirely upon the Super Bowl. They had two receivers who were both over 80 receptions and 120 yards. They aren't Brown and Smith-Schuster, but they aren't what you make them out to be. The largest issue in that Super Bowl was the offensive line, which couldn't carve out any room to run or protect Goff.

Players who don't like one another manage to function all the time. It would be idiotic to trade Brown without getting a decent value in return. Some of you seem to think his situation is equivalent to Bell's. It isn't. Brown is too old to just tank a season. The guy lives for recognition. He can't get that without playing. If Tomlin can't get him and Roethlisberger back on track, it's time for him to go as head coach. Maybe that ruins the 2019 season, but honestly, the Steelers aren't going anywhere next season anyway if they give away arguably their best player for nothing and take a big cap hit to do it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I'm surprised the Steelers have commented publicly on the situation as much as they did so far, so the fact that they aren't sharing those details is meaningless.

4. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I guess we will see what we can get and go from there. Brown has turned into another TO.

tons of talent , but to much of high maintenance pain in the ass.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Yes, I'm basing it off the SB. Blame the line all you want, Cooks came up small on the biggest stage. He's nothing special. You don't think they'd like a WR of Browns caliber? Woods/AB is a heck of a lot better than Wood/Cooks. Apparently our season is doomed without AB but Rams can win with lesser talent at their #1 and #2 at WR. You're telling me the 31st pick isn't worth the gamble for AB? That maybe they would feel the situation in Pittsburgh is just too damaged and that a fresh start is all he needs.

Whats idiotic is keeping a guy who quit on his team. Your denial that he didn't is ridiculous. Walking out on practice is quitting on the team. The dumbest Steeler fan knows you don't play when you don't practice, AB sure as hell knew. The guy is completely melting down in front of the world and has a problem with his coach and QB but yeah, no biggie, put them in a room and say work it out. Very realistic. Then during the season, Brown will invariably melt down and get cut and they get absolutely nothing in return for him.

The only position that can tank a season is losing a QB. You're overvaluing the worth of a WR to the team way too much. They haven't won a single thing with him, it's not like they can't do that without him. Get rid of the troublemakers and see if having a TEAM makes a difference. The players who have won championships seem to think so. I agree.

It's a dumb hypothetical anyway, they aren't going to have to settle for a 6th rd pick for him. AB is as good as gone, should get used to that idea.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Good X's & O's guy? This statement ruined the whole post.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Yeah it worked early on just like ours
    They wanted obj last yr but the giants said they want 2 first round picks so they got cooks. If that was obj instead of cooks they win that game. Anyways, they just signed cooks to a big deal. They cant agford yet to get rid of him I dont think but AB definitely would be a far better option.

8. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    You know ..... X's and O's like hugs and kisses:hehehe:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Thats a fair point but one of the alluring things about AB is his contract is very affordable. I don't know what the Rams cap space is though. If not the Rams, GB is a prime trade candidate. They have 2 first rd picks, could pry their late rd pick away.

10. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    GB possibly is a good candidate as they will try to maximize the talent around Rodgers. I think Seattle, new Orleans, Dallas, and Houston are all good candidates as well. They will have some cap room to work with for this year maybe they find a way to make it work idk.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Just to settle some of the debate on whether the Rams can afford to let Cooks go, Spotrac has his contract details. Just google “Brandin Cooks contract” and click on the Spotrac link. Quick summary: the dead money impact for LA SUCKS if they let him go. Apparently some huge guarantees kick in on 3/15, because the net cap hit goes from $16.8 million to (holy crap!) $43.26 million on 3/15. They’re best case is a pre 3/15 trade, in which they only take a $7.34 million cap hit. Bottom line: he’s going nowhere. WTF are teams thinking with these insane guarantees for good, not great, players?

12. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Yeah the Rams are stacked at WR. They did great with Cooper Kupp gone even. Plus they have no cap space.

Now teams like Green Bay, Brown would be thanking the heavens if he went to that type of team. If I was Green Bay, I'd be all about it, but I'd make it clear to Brown that things would be MUCH different with zero special treatment to see how he reacts.

I personally think he goes to a ****ty team like the 49ers. He'll get his wish and fade into oblivion with average/subpar years on his way out of the league.

He will not stand the time like Jerry Rice. That I can guarantee. Rice will always be the greatest.

13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Beats the heck out of me! Crazy.

I wasn't thinking about them letting him go though, was just thinking of adding AB to the group. If I was looking at the right number, Rams have 32 million in cap space.

14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Any team would like a receiver of Brown's caliber. That's not the same as needing a receiver in the worst way. They don't. A position where there is potential for an upgrade is not even close to the same thing as a position of need. For the Rams, wide receiver is the former, not the latter.

Actually, given all the crap Tomlin has let Brown get away with, it is absolutely fair to think he assumed Tomlin would have to let him play because the season was on the line. Just as he thinks he can force a trade by acting like a petulant child on social media.

it is a very different thing to act that way during the offseason than it is to quit during the season. Given the cap hit and the damage Brown could do playing for another team, even if the worst happens, the Steelers are better off benching Brown and fining him the maximum amount for every offense than they would be trading him without getting legitimate value in return. Sitting out part or all of a season is far more damaging to Brown at this point than it would be to the team. He isn't in Bell's situation. He wouldn't be a free agent next offseason if he sits and he's a lot older than Bell.

What you're failing to grasp is the message being sent if the Steelers give in to Brown's demands. They are telling every player out there that if they don't like their situation with the Steelers, they can just throw a tantrum and force their way out of town and the team won't even hold out for a fair trade. Sorry, but sending that message is far worse than any of the scenarios you are running in your head.

Brown's made big threats before. Then he showed up and played. I'm betting his ego and his need for affirmation are far more important to him than the current pissing match. That he is now planning to meet with Rooney is already evidence in favor of that point.

15. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    "We need volunteers, not hostages" - Mike Tomlin.

16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I feel that would be a wasted opportunity to improve the defense. Looking at the end of the first rd, I see several candidates to work a trade out with. It would also be a disaster in the locker room if it played out that way.

Doesn't happen enough for me to worry about it. In the last 30 years there has probably been less than 10 players who have caused this type of drama.

The scenario running in my head are the same concerns that ex players have said destroy teams and prevent championships.

Yes, AB is the king of apologies and then he acts out again and again.

That meeting is more about being traded than it is about working things out.

17. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Haven t been on in a few weeks but its like watching a soap opera it doesn t take long to pick it up exactly where you left off.

What is amazing is to put Browns actions into any real world job situation. Could any us us get away with faking an injury not getting treatment then going awol for 3 or 4 days without contacting our employer then showing up expecting to work and get paid.

I have never seen it confirmed as to whether or not he even lost a game check.

A total breakdown in managerial responsibilities who goes off the rails next JU JU ?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    https://www.packersnews.com/story/s...teer-clear-steelers-antonio-brown/2883509002/

"The Packers need playmakers on both sides of the ball, and Brown has been among the league’s best receivers the last six years. On paper, lining him up opposite Davante Adams would give the Packers the best pairing in the NFL.

But Brown also is a blowup waiting to happen, will be 31 by the start of next season and reportedly wants a new contract from a new team. The Packers shouldn’t invite a potentially huge problem into their locker room with a player who could start declining at any time, and at a position where they have some decent young talent anyway.

It’s not a given the Steelers will trade Brown – team president Art Rooney II reportedly will meet with him in Florida this weekend. But Brown hasn’t talked to any Steelers officials since his benching for the regular-season finale, had his agent request the trade last week, and recently on Twitter both posted his farewell to Steelers fans and took some shots at quarterback Ben Roethlisberger."

People are paying attention.

I also found this funny

"Brown also has a hypersensitive streak and felt underappreciated with the Steelers this year as teammate JuJu Smith-Schuster became the team’s leading receiver – Smith-Schuster had 111 receptions to Brown’s 104."

19. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    The more AB tweets the more this becomes closer to reality...

upload_2019-2-18_10-11-5.png

• Like Like x 1